Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #15

It`s called SAFETY...............................DUH!!!!
Flyboy757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
It's not a safety nannie, it's common sense. Would you make sure to have the furnace, fridge, water heater, stove and oven pilot lights all extinguished when boarding a ferry or going through certain tunnels? The quick way to be sure all pilots and gas is off is to turn off the main valve at the tank. This mechanical twist of the valve is even more reliable than turning off the electric valve controlled by your LP gas detector which usually only can be turned off by the detector.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #17

However, automatic re-lighters like propane refrigerators will continue to "spark"; trying to reignite the flame. Correct? (or maybe will stop trying after a time). I grant that that a refer spark is relatively elevated, but I always turn off the individual appliance when fueling propane in addition to the main tank valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
... The quick way to be sure all pilots and gas is off is to turn off the main valve at the tank. This mechanical twist of the valve is even more reliable than turning off the electric valve controlled by your LP gas detector which usually only can be turned off by the detector.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Propane being heavier than air, as Rusty pointed out, is the main reason. It will seek the lowest level which on a ferry could mean the engine compartment or the bilges. One errant spark and KaBOOM!
Yes, it seems silly in this day and age to have these rules, but all it takes is one leaking tank and then the rules don't seem so silly. It is a PITA, I will admit, but I personally have no problem with it.
Some tunnels (Baltimore Harbor Tunnel?) will not allow any vehicles with propane at all. At least that's the way it used to be, maybe things have changed.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #19
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Can someone explain to me the reason you have to turn off the propane in your RV when you go aboard ferries in North America? At one time I had a propane fueled truck and would have to argue that I couldn't move with the propane off and they would begrudgingly allow me to proceed with the tank turned on.

With all the safeguards that are built into the propane systems why do we have to turn the tanks off and tag them?
Actually the reason is because it's a boat. Propane is heavier than air and if a leak occurred it would settle into the bilge. By having a passenger turn off the tank they are limiting the potential for leakage to the container itself. No comment on the wisdom of having the tank turned off as tanks can leak too.
On edit:
Sorry for the duplicate answer. I guess I should have read the entire thread first.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
And gasoline leaks can have the vapors fill the bilge as well. Gasoline powered boats have a bilge blower to purge the bilge before you fire off the engines.

They need to make the folks driving the gasoline vehicles shut off the fuel line to them as well......Ya' thinks so?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
For safety and because the U. S. Coast Guard says so!
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #22

You can see a liquid gasoline leak. You can't see a gaseous propane leak. Is maybe part of the deal?
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
You can see a liquid gasoline leak. You can't see a gaseous propane leak. Is maybe part of the deal?
And, gasoline tanks are barely, if at all, above atmospheric pressure. The leak is just driven by gravity. Propane on the other hand, is driven out by it's own internal pressurization......
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post

Honestly can't understand why you'd ask this question.

Sheesh.

Not a few pounds of PP, but a 'hundred gallon' of same. A leak and someone walks by with a lit smoke (YES, you're not supposed to do that either) and

KABLOOOOIE!

Even with a MH they tell you (just like at the gas pump) to turn it off.
I "can't understand why you" thought chastising a fellow member was the appropriate way to answer his question. He obviously asked the question because he wanted to know the answer.

I Thought we were better than this on this forum.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:19 AM   #25

The ferry in Galveston Texas will make you turn it off I have no problem with it
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:23 AM   #26

Beat me to the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
However, automatic re-lighters like propane refrigerators will continue to "spark"; trying to reignite the flame. Correct? (or maybe will stop trying after a time). I grant that that a refer spark is relatively elevated, but I always turn off the individual appliance when fueling propane in addition to the main tank valve.
There are usually two 'auto starters' in a MH: furnace and hot water. As noted above these have to be manually turned off.
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #27

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
All good points and right. The rules for all vessels are in 33CFR chapter T . As stated about propane will settle to the lowest point. Diesel vessels are not required to have bilge blowers and most don't. The bilge blower in most pleasure craft will not have the power to remove propane as it is much hever then gas fumes. Also the diesel vessels dose not have the ignition protection that would prevent a spark. If gas is used on a boat it should be CNG as it is lighter then air.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Propane is 1.55 times heavier than air, so it will pool at ground (deck) level and flash to a vapor at atmospheric pressure. If the concentration with air is within explosive limits, it's just waiting for any ignition source (like, for instance, a hot catalytic converter on another vehicle).

Rusty
One thing I am fairly sure of on a ferry is nothing is going to pool at "Ground level" Water level perhaps.

But on a ferry "engine room level" is more likely and that's where the heat and sparks live.

Old joke if you read the right book. Ham radio operator talking to other hams from his car on the deck of the auto-ferry.

"I don't know weather to sign Mobile at rest, since I'm not driving, or mobile in motion, since the ferry is moving, or maritime mobile since we are on the water"

The wit on the other end says "Just hope that tub don't blow a boiler and make it Aeronautical mobile as well"

Fact is: if the propane leaks and pools in the engine room.... You just might have that problem.

Tags
propane