Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've thought about shutting it off but have never done it. Maybe now after reading this it will be a good time to start. Thanks for sharing your story.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxman
Many of the old houses in my neighborhood have suffered burst pipes. The houses were built in the '50s and used black iron pipes, not galvanized, so they are rusting from the inside. As if that isn't bad enough our local water utility used to allow the water pressure to skyrocket during the wee hours. That's when every burst pipe occured, never in the day time. I put a water pressure gauge on a hose and started checking it. The pressure was usually 80psi during the day. However I could get up at 3 AM for a drink of water and the water would come blasting out of the faucet like a Saturn moon shot rocket. The pressure then was, IIRC, over 120 psi.

There's actually a slightly funny component to this. I complained about it but of course I was ignored. Then one morning I didn't have any water at all and neither did anyone else on my street. I walked outside, looked around and a few doors down the street at a hydrant there was water shooting up out of the ground. The water company had actually burst their own pipe! This happened several more times and after enough screaming at them they finally replaced a major section of pipe and lowered the pressure a bit. They left the ruptured piece of pipe laying at the curb so I collected and I still have it. I asked them what their standard water pressure was supposed to be and I was told they have no standards for pressure! So I suppose the moral to this is that the water company may be prone to allowing the pressure to get very high at night when no one is running any water.

Flickr: grafxmangrafxman's Photostream
In this part of North Carolina we are required to have a water pressure regulator in our supply line from the street. The water service can not be turned on without it. I asked the inspector why they are required, he explained because of almost everything you mentioned. After seeing this I certainly understand now.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I regularly turn the house line off at the street valve, before the water meter. And kill the gas water heater..

Two weeks ago, I took my daily 4 mile, 1 hour walk. Came home and saw H2O flooding to the street and discovered that the companion water meter for the irrigation system had failed at it's base. The meter failed, it was gushing and registering every gallon for me to pay for! Imagine that happened when we were away for a month or more...

The DW always turns off the valve for the wash machine after every use. Our friend's hose burst, and was full blast in their 17th floor condo laundry room in Old Town Alexandria VA for 8 hours....Still sorting out the insurance claims!!

safe travels
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #18

Always shut off the water and the water heater and ANY breaker that is not necessary.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Yup good advice

I learned it the hard way when I went on trip one winter and forgot to turn the water off. The pipes froze in a freak storm in Texas and there were busted pipes everywhere. An alert neighbor saw the water shooting up from a hydrant in the yard and turned the water off for me. Getting everything fixed was a headache and cost lots of $$$$$
Turn it all off electric too if you don't need it darn near lost the house when the electric furnace shorted out while on another trip. So now everything gets turned off saves a lot of worry ....unless there is a tornado then I just hope the insurance is good.

That is all mute now I sold the place and full time even with the RV I unplug stuff and turn the water off if I am going to be gone for more than an hour. Saves my nerves.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #20

Never know when pipe or hose can burst. I'm getting to the point I may start turning things off just to go down the street to check on mail. Been lucky I had only two inside line bursts under sinks in past 20 years. Always expect more, and so far so good. I turn it off anytime we go away for trips, or one day away safaris.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #21

Yes, we always turn off the water and power to the hot water heater, range and dish washer. All based on unpleasant experiences.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #22

Wow, you guys could scare a fellow! I work for a FD in a mountain community and our problems arise in the winter when folks turn off their power so they get no heat to the residence. This is ok if you turn off your water and you have a "stop & waste" valve that drains all of your water pipes, and you remember to use a plunger to remove the water in your toilets and replace it with RV antifreeze. Oh yeah, don't forget about all of your pee traps.

I would recommend that you keep your heat on, and if you turn it down to save money to be sure to leave cabinet doors open under sinks where you have water lines on exterior walls.

In the summer, if I turned off my water and left for a week or two I would return to dead grass.

I would recommend you purchase steel braided lines for toilets and washers with high flow stop valves which will stop the flow of water to a washer or toilet in case of a break.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
We always turn the water off on the ice maker, toilets, lavatories and washer. Turn the water heater off to save electricity. I have a drip irrigation system in my yard, so I don't turn the water off at the meter.

I try to remember to turn the water supply off when we leave the motorhome while we are in an rv park, but don't always remember to do so. Could be quite a mess should a pipe leak in the mh while we were gone.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Wow this post was just a few days late for me. We came home yesterday from a 3 day camping trip. I told my DW that I was going to the basement to get a soda from the fridge down there and walked across the carpet in my work shop and heard a squish squish . The water heater had spoung a leak. We were lucky not much damage didn't get to the finished part of the basement. Bet your lucky stars the water and water heater will be shut off before we leave on our next trip.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #25

I to would have a dead garden if i turned the water off.
I have the steel braided lines with high flow stop valves
for the washer, did not know they made them for the toilets
to I will go to HD to see if they carry them.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #26

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
During my work life I was a utility billing manager. Over those years I listened to all manner of horror stories about water loss in unattended homes. And it wasn't always property damage. My favorite story, which happened before my tenure, was the lady who was waiting for a taxi to the airport and decided to use the toilet one last time. Taxi pulls up, lady flushes toilet and leaves. Toilet flapper valve got hung up and ran for the two months she was gone. No property damage since the water ran straight into the sewer. But since sewer charges are based on water usage, her bill was huge.

On a related issue, if we are going to be gone for more than a few days, I also disconnect the negative battery cable on the vehicle that stays at home due to parasitic electrical drains.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
[QUOTE=Half Dimes;1179741]During my work life I was a utility billing manager. Over those years I listened to all manner of horror stories about water loss in unattended homes. And it wasn't always property damage. My favorite story, which happened before my tenure, was the lady who was waiting for a taxi to the airport and decided to use the toilet one last time. Taxi pulls up, lady flushes toilet and leaves. Toilet flapper valve got hung up and ran for the two months she was gone. No property damage since the water ran straight into the sewer. But since sewer charges are based on water usage, her bill was huge.

On a related issue, if we are going to be gone for more than a few days, I also disconnect the negative battery cable on the vehicle that stays at home due to parasitic electrical drains.[/QUOTE
Same type happened to me, but it was 3 weeks.
The water bill wad close to $500.00.
Now when I leave, for what ever reason, the house I wait until the toilet stops.

stops

Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water