Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think Gadget may have been asking about the previously referred to antenna adapter which I am sure is referencing the "Wingman" and yes they are worth it and work well .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired and Happy View Post
Gadget, I have two models of the converter, bought when the government was issuing coupons to reduce the price. One does not have any volume control and does not seem to make the volume nearly loud enough to hear reasonably. That is the Magnavox. I also have an Apex that does have a volume control and seems to work better. Both allow setting the TV to channel 3 or 4, and have coax and Audio/video phono plug connectors. Note that with the converter, the TV is left on the selected channel (3 or 4) and the viewing channel is changed with/on the converter's remote. Power on/off is done separately for the TV and the converter, although I usually leave the remote on unless I am going on vacation.

All that said, unless you have a TV that must be used on an antenna that you really like, it is probably more pactical to go ahead and get a digital-ready flatscreen TV. I still have two TV's in the house and one in the MH that use converters. I'm too cheap to buy that many flatscreens. If you use cable or satellite, you should not need the converter. Just connect the incoming signal to the TV and program it for the service provided. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the quick reply. I have a converter box from RCA that works quite well with volume and channel selection. I am more concerned about that bat wing adapter you mentioned. I have the original wineguard antenna topside and if i am close enough to a city, i can get most channels. I bought an external booster that seems to help a little. I am wondering if that batwing adapter will pull in more signals? Thanks

Old 06-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget63 View Post
Do you know if that adapter works and is worth the moeny? Thanks
Gadget63
A Winegard Sensar, (aka: batwing), antenna with a Wingman added defiantly works better.
For the best digital TV reception I point the Wingmanadded to my 18 year old batwing toward the transmitting tower.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Gadget63
A Winegard Sensar, (aka: batwing), antenna with a Wingman added defiantly works better.
For the best digital TV reception I point the Wingmanadded to my 18 year old batwing toward the transmitting tower.
Mel
'96 Safari
Thanks for that info!
Old 06-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
TV cable

That was going to be my next suggestion, make sure the button is in the correct position, your tv is set to air and not cable, and all your tv cables are attached. On our first trip out we had antenna reception, but no cable. We messed around with it for most of the day. We pulled both TV sets, checked the wires running to them. Everything looked good, and we were out of ideas. That evening we were sitting in the rv, and it just came to me. I wonder if the outside connectin is connected on the inside of the rv? All our wireing is located under our bed. Got the flashlight, and sure enoughf the cable was jus laying on the floor. It had never been hooked up! Never take anything foe granted!!
Old 06-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #20

And use antennaepoint.com. It helps you find the best direction to point your antennae to pick up the most on air channels.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:00 PM   #21

The Wingman is incredibly easy to install. I did it from a ladder beside my MH door. And it helped pick up maybe 15-20 extra stations when aimed toward the predominant transmitter direction.

And OP, sorry, I overlooked your signature info. it is just fine.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:15 AM   #22

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
And use antennaepoint.com. It helps you find the best direction to point your antennae to pick up the most on air channels.
Thanks for the site, that will work great, but another newb question. What is the actual "front" of the batwing when pointing?
Old 06-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneracin View Post
another newb question. What is the actual "front" of the batwing when pointing?
Goneracin
When a batwing antenna with a Wingman attached is cranked up and you are aiming the antenna you point the Wingman, (circled in the pic below),
at/toward the transmitting tower.
I suppose you could call the side of the antenna with the Wingman added the "front of the batwing"....(however I consider the end of the batwing pointing to the front of the coach when it's down for travel the "front").
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #24

When you have the Wingman attached, consider the main Batwing as a director for the antenna, not the antenna itself. Therefore the Wingman becomes the front of the antenna and is pointed toward the signal source. But of course you DO have to remember to turn the whole antenna back to the rest position, aligning the arrows on your ceiling, before you lower it.

It has been a long time since I did not have a Wingman, so I can't recall which way the antenna is oriented without a Wingman. If it acts as a dipole antenna, it would be "broadside" to the signal source...or the same way it would be oriented as a Wingman director.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired and Happy View Post
When you have the Wingman attached, consider the main Batwing as a director for the antenna, not the antenna itself. Therefore the Wingman becomes the front of the antenna and is pointed toward the signal source. But of course you DO have to remember to turn the whole antenna back to the rest position, aligning the arrows on your ceiling, before you lower it.

It has been a long time since I did not have a Wingman, so I can't recall which way the antenna is oriented without a Wingman. If it acts as a dipole antenna, it would be "broadside" to the signal source...or the same way it would be oriented as a Wingman director.
Retired and Happy
Correct

A batwing with a Wingman is aimed like this:

Without a Wingman like this:

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #26

Our antennae inside handle has an arrow on it that coincides with the direction the antennae is pointing.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget63 View Post
Do you know if that adapter works and is worth the moeny? Thanks
There are two or 3 adapters, yes they work and are worth the money (One is "If you need it")

For the antenna: Wingman.. The technical name is UHF Director Array it improves the performance of the antenna at UHF frequencies, just about doubling the amount of signal you get (NOT stations, but signal, Makes them stronger).

Sensar Pro: this is a multi-fucntion addition, replaces wall plate INSIDE if you have one or goes between antenna and box of many buttons. has 2 digital displays, IT includes a signal strength meter (The top display) a source switch (Ant/Cable (or other), an amplifier (Adjustable) works very well 100 bucks roughly plus install.

And finally there is the ATSC TV adapter, about 50 bucks, This is a "Set Top Box" as they are called that can receive and decode the modern DIGITAL TV, and re-transmit it (Via coax) as NTSC analog for older TV's. Only needed if you have analog only hardware (DVR's in my case) Most work well, some better than some modern ATSC TV's. Much as I hate to say it the Zenith units have very well designed receivers.. Some of the control software is crap though so they have problems and need to be unplugged from time to time, but the receiver is hard to beat.. I also like my DTV Pal (I have one of each) but neither of them is perfect (Too bad nobody combined them,, wait, someone did, TiVo and threw in a DVR for fun).
Old 06-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #28

goneracing - when you wind the antenna up, hang the ignition keys on the handle. Tends to promote a long life for the antenna mechansim.

Tags
antenna, newbie