Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-12-2015, 07:45 AM   #1
Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
TV Reception With Analog TV & Converter Box

We have recently purchased a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer. It has analog TVs with a digital converter box hooked up between the antenna and the control panel that leads to both TVs. We haven't had to use the antenna until this weekend, at a Good Sam Samboree in Perry, GA, and found that we got either no program or weak signal on any channel we tried.

When I first turned on the digital converter box, I got absolutely no connection from it to the TV but after disconnecting it a couple of times, it did start up with the above results. I am wondering if anyone has had similar experiences with this and any suggestions. I am not sure if it is the box or the antenna. I am not sure how to check the status of the antenna or the converter box, short of replacing them.

And I do realize that I am going to be told that I should replace the analog TV with a digital one, and I agree, but don't know if that will solve the problem with the reception using the antenna.

Thanks for your help.

2000 Winnebago Adventurer
Type MA Model 35B
Dick1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2015, 07:52 AM   #2
I had real bad TV reception with my 1999 MH, rooftop antenna.

Since I was going to dish service, I went to use the wire already on the roof.

When I unhooked the cable, under the rubber boot going thru the roof, I discovered the center conductor corroded away.

Had I fixed that, the antenna may have worked.

Just something to check.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:10 AM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some thoughts assuming you are using a Winegard 'Bat ear' antenna. Did you turn the amplifier on? It's a small push button and a green light comes on when the amp is on. This is located inside - follow the antenna wire back from the digital converter box to locate it (mine is white).
You may also have a splitter or selection box that sends the antenna to a rear TV - make sure that is set for the front TV as well.
Also, the antenna is directional - you need to point it in the right direction.

Direction locator map: http://www.antennapoint.com/antennas...&commit=Search

T/S Video:
Tom and Amy from Northern Virginia.
2000 Allegro 454/Workhorse P32/TST/Crossfire
Life is a DIY project - enjoy it.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your problem is the location of the digital converter. It cannot be between the antenna amplifier power source and the antenna because it blocks the power needed to the antenna (which flows through the antenna coax back to the antenna). The +12v for the antenna amp comes from the tv switch box (antenna in port), so you need to put the digital tuner box on the output side of the switcher, i.e. the port that goes out to TV1, TV2, etc. That means you need a separate digital converter for each tv, or a splitter on the converter output to send the same signal to both tvs.

I'm confident that moving the digital converter will solve your weak signal problem.

You don't need a "digital antenna" - there is no such thing. However, your old antenna is probably not optimized for UHF reception and many tv stations have moved from UHF to VHF frequencies. If you have a Winegard antenna, you can add thier Wingman device to improve UHF performance. Or replace the antenna head with a newer Winegard Sensar or a "Jack" (King Controls) module that has superior UHF built in.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Gary, Your post just solved a problem that I've been putting off for quite some time. Never enough time. Now I'm prepared.
Bruce & Nancy
FMCA F280542
2004 Bounder 35E
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with Gary.. With one exception NOTHING other than coax and a connector or two should be between the selector switch (I assume a box of many buttons or Matrix switch from your description) and the Antenna.. That one exception is a Winegard Sensar Pro (Well I guess you could include the King Controls Sure-Lock but why, (Consider it part of the Jack,, The Sensar Pro is much better anyway)).

What I recommend is remove the Digital converter from in front of the switch and put it in the VCR loop.. or you can use any spare TV connection (TV-3?) to feed it and return it to AUX. Either method will work.. I used the VCR loop (Even if it's a DVR) before I upgraded to Rube Goldburg method.

Don't ask less you have two networked DVR's and two converters and a flie server and your own internal LAN.. As I said Rube Goldberg. Works though.. Mostly (need to do some cleaning just now).

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote