Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
TV Show - Going RV

I can't ever think of a time that I started a thread that didn't have something to do with fixing or fabricating something, but this TV show is really goofy.

If you haven't watched the show, it's typically about a couple/family buying a new RV. They're shown three RV's and choose one. My issue, are there that many RV buyers out there that are as inept as some of the people on the show. I know some are brand new buyers, but they make statements like....I don't like the wall paper, you'll have to change it out or I don't like that small stripe (out of five) on the exterior. I need a bunkhouse model, but that bunk is high and my kid will fall out.

Today, a lady looked at a stacked washer and dryer and complained that it was too small for her family of five. I guess it never dawned on her that she could do more than one load. After they look at each RV, they do a list of Pros and Cons with some really idiotic Cons, like the washer/dryer was too small, even though it's the biggest in the industry.

In another episode today, the family tells the salesman they have a 6800 pound toy trailer. The second RV she shows them is a 30' Class C with a 5K tow rating. I think they bought the Super C, but typical salesman not LISTENING, or better yet, terrible technical director.

I watch the show, one because I was bored and two I like seeing some of the new RV's. I mainly watch it to see some of the dumbest things people or salesman say. It can be entertaining!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2018, 12:16 PM   #2
GBB

Typical reality show..people aint got a clue!
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #3

Like most of these things (House Hunters, Property Brothers, etc.) It's a "reality" show that they cast for.

They aren't following real customers, they hold auditions and in most cases they are looking for someone who has already purchased an RV in recent months.

There was a blog post out there from some folks who were cast in the show. I'll try to find it.

Michelle
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I can't ever think of a time that I started a thread that didn't have something to do with fixing or fabricating something, but this TV show is really goofy.
A lot goes on behind the scenes.

My guess is the buyers show up to the lot and know what they want. The TV producer tells them. I'll give you some money for your time to look at other models 3. The one they wanted was in the 3 and they pick it.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #5

It seems like a lot of the buyers gotta' have list includes "room to entertain".

Does everyone but us go camping just to entertain guests?
Old 05-06-2018, 12:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBB View Post
Typical reality show..people aint got a clue!
Yep, except the typical reality show is scripted and the "customers/home buyers" are, many times, prompted as to what to say.

Sounds like this show is a direct copy of the house hunter format, right down to the number of units being shown and the discussions of pros and cons.

I would watch the show for the same reason as the OP, to see the new things out there and get a chuckle from the ignorance, fake or real, of the buyers and, sometimes, the sellers. It's all good if you don't take it too seriously.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
A lot goes on behind the scenes.

My guess is the buyers show up to the lot and know what they want.
Actually, it's all set up and cast well ahead of filming time. The "buyers" are just some people who passed the audition for that episode.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:59 PM   #8

"Oh, wow!" - Saw one episode where they said that 17 times.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdogboogie View Post
It seems like a lot of the buyers gotta' have list includes "room to entertain".

Right? Hahaha

Or when the model they look at, doesn’t have a easily added factory option, thus not choosing it...facepalm
Old 05-06-2018, 01:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdogboogie View Post

What gets me is when they WOW! at the trash bin below the counter top with an outside door to empty it.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
"Oh, wow!" - Saw one episode where they said that 17 times.
We call it the " Oh wow" show. There is so much interesting RV stuff that could be presented, but they go with the same scripted format with each episode.

An even worse show is " Selling Jets" same format, just more zero's after the purchase price. We had to laugh when we saw one of the Jet shopping tech giants from the series appearing in a commercial for TAC sunglasses, guess the high tech thing didn't work out
cinitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:30 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just like all "reality" shows. They are anything but.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:39 PM   #13

We have watched this show and "Big Time RV". A couple of things stand out:

No one asks what the horsepower is or the gas mileage on a Class A or C.

The Salesperson never shows the generator or engine or any of the actual working parts of the rig; OTOH the buyers seem clueless on these aspects also.

DH has reminded me it's a reality show, scripted and not worth getting annoyed about.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:33 PM   #14

Discovery shoots a reality show just up the street. Junkyard Empire. I store some of my A class commercial 40+’ trailers there (big parking lot). I was talking to the business partner of the guy on the show, she is who I mainly deal with, and I mentioned one of the shows I happened to see. She said to me “Rich I have Learned that reality tv isn’t “. I think that pretty much say it all.

It’s all smoke and mirrors
2002 Country Coach Affinity 42' #6063 CAT C12 505hp & Matching Featherlite Trailer or 2009 Lexus GX Toad
MarylandRich is offline   Reply With Quote