RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2019, 07:43 PM   #1

TV to what?

Hi there.

I've looked all over and I've found lots of good info on removing the center TV above the dash on older motorhomes like my 2003 Pace Arrow. What I'd like to do is remove the wooden console where the TV sat. I'd like to shorten it about four inches and then reinstall it and turn it into shelves however, after removing all the screws I can find and the two plumbers tape straps, I can't seem to remove it. It appears it's a separate piece and I can actually move it but man! It's stuck in there. I've managed to move it slightly. It's padded so I'm thinking that part of the problem is it's been there for so long that the padding has "molded" itself around the frame work of the cabinets on each side and so all I really need to do is continue to massage it out.

Your thoughts.

Eric

Drenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Eric, it's been a while since I removed mine for the cabinet shop to rebuild it, but I seem to remember it having screws into the cabinets on each side and into the top. Wish I could be more help!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. It appears that I've removed all the screws. It's just stuck in between the two outer cabinets.... Really stuck. I'll keep poking at it in hopes something will make itself evident.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You cannot get useful generic advice on this sort of thing - the solution (if any) will be unique to your 2003 Pace, or at least to similar models from Fleetwood that have the same construction. Unless you get help from another 2003 Pace owner, you are likely to be on your own.

I can tell you that it took me several tries to do the same thing with my 2004 American Tradition (also a Fleetwood product). Every time I thought I had the last screw or bracket out, nothing moved and I would find yet another.

Good hunting!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:55 AM   #5

Thanks to both of you for the info. I fear Gary is right and I'll just have to start undoing things until I get where I need to be.... and take a lot of pictures as well.

I'll let you know what happens.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenski View Post
I'll just have to start undoing things until I get where I need to be.... and take a lot of pictures as well.
I've found photos really don't work so well if something is extremely complicated. If you are talking about the wiring harness, what you should do is to find someone who is friend or family member and of a technical nature and wont' charge you for their skill level and have them disassemble and label things for you. I would imagine you have coax, and either/or 12VDC and/or 120VAC for the TV.

If instead the challenge is the wood work and carpentry required, why not drive to the shop where you plan to get the work done and walk in an ask them to step out and have a look as you disassemble and give pointers to you if you have a question.
Don Juane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:27 AM   #7

I'm sort of doing just that Don. I'm pretty handy so moving the cables around isn't a big deal but I'm no carpenter however, I do have a cousin here close by who is. We've decided to have three doors built that will match the other cabinet doors and install them in the AV areas. The new storage will be for storing games for now and the AV equipment will be moved to the small coffee table cabinet and the TV will stand on the top. I'll try and post a few pics when I'm done.

I managed to get the center console out. They vinyl coverings had stuck together. After unsticking it all, the console section slid out. I cut about 6 inches off the top and reinstalled it. It looks pretty good so far.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:34 AM   #8

I am in the process of removing my tv enclosure in the front of my 2004 Holiday Rambler. I discovered that there are two screws coming into each upper rear corner from the back of the cabinet. The only reason I found them is because the tip of the screw was just poking through the inside. Absolutely no way to access them so I am going to do all the cutting and rebuilding with the cabinet in place. Not fun.

TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote