Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW One of the reasons why I am not interested in a DP is that she refuses to sit over the steps. ;-) Yes, I know there are floor plans with other locations and good reasons to want them. I also see the point of a mid entry.

All current vehicles are built on multi use chassis. DP's are built on Bus chassis so they need the door up front so the driver can collect the fare.
She knows there are slides to cover the steps right? Besides, she can just run out the footrest, problem solved.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 03:53 PM   #16
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We would lose slide out space if the door was not up front. Our last A was a gasser and had a mid entry door. I liked it a lot. We did not want the front door on the new DP but did not find any others when looking. We are used to it and glad it is that way now. That space is kind of wasted for anything else.

I cannot imagine any DP without a step cover.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:20 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There's more to the door placement on a DP. As stated, it will block storage and can interfere with slide placement in most models. It also has to do with the generator. On a DP, the generator is placed in the nose for balance purposes. That gives you an extended nose so that it can sit in front of the front axle. With the generator up front, you have dead space on the passenger side, making it ideal for door and step placement. The driver's side usually has steering gear alongside the generator.

The combination of the above and what others have posted, just makes the placement of the front door the most appropriate.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:25 PM   #18

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW One of the reasons why I am not interested in a DP is that she refuses to sit over the steps. ;-) Yes, I know there are floor plans with other locations and good reasons to want them. I also see the point of a mid entry.

All current vehicles are built on multi use chassis. DP's are built on Bus chassis so they need the door up front so the driver can collect the fare.
Most have a cover for the steps to make it level with the rest of the floor.

I wasn't sure I would like it but I have to say I prefer the front steps versus mid chassis steps.
southernlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:35 PM   #19

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just my 2 cents. A gas coach has the door behind the right front wheel.
A diesel pusher has the door in front of the wheel.
If you were to put the door in the front of a gasser, you could not put steps going down and out as the tire would be in the way.

Not sure which gasser I saw but the one I really liked was the door right behind the passenger seat.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #20

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
On a DP, the generator is placed in the nose for balance purposes.
That's not necessarily true. Our MH has the generator on the driver's side and is well balanced left-to-right.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew48 View Post
Some 2 million dollar Newell coaches have the mid entry door.
Newmar did some years back, in their Flagship......... I like the mid-entry myself.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	116377   Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	116378  

Click image for larger version

Name:	26.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	116379  
Old 01-12-2016, 05:44 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Food manufacturing corporation (FMC) made a gas pusher in the seventies. They had a lot of problems with burned valves and overheating engines. That is why the industry is so hesitant to go with the rear engine.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #23

Interesting. One thing that bugs me about the DP is the passenger seat is farther back, due to the steps. Also, I'd think a front light truck diesel would work well in place of a gas V8/V10. I have a diesel in my pickup truck..works well.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Actually, as I recall someone DID make a Gas Pusher

THe reason for putting the door in the very front is to maximize living space. Having the door and step well farther back costs space.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
She knows there are slides to cover the steps right? Besides, she can just run out the footrest, problem solved.
There is logic and there is emotion. Any similarity is purely coincidental.

FWIW there is the same issue with windshields. Some people love the wide open view in the front of the bus and some are terrified.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #26

There is no replacement for displacement.

A heavy gas pusher would need to be geared down so much to carry the load, that it would only go about 50 mph.

They just don't make big cube gas engine any more. ( I hear a big one is coming out )

Diesels in the front of a Class A would probably be loud, bulky and heavy on the front axle.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #27

I like the mid entry door! We don't have one now with the DP though. Gary used the space in front of the passenger seat in the gasser to store his gianormous fly fishing bag and other gear when we were camping. The mid entry door was easier to navigate with our boxers and hauling stuff in & out but we didn't have a slide on the passenger side either.

But.. DP or gasser with mid entry? No contest.. DP!
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:27 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The reason for putting the door in the very front is to maximize living space. Having the door and step well farther back costs space.

I don't see any space saving with a front bus style door. Wherever you put the door, it will take up 24 to 30 inches and a baggage compartment could be put up front as well. A door could easily fit between 2 slides.

Tags
motorhome