Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2016, 08:33 AM   #57

I am light. In spirit anyway. I know he was joking. I also understand that making a joke out of other people's choices is a way to try to control them. It is not a game I like.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2016, 09:21 AM   #58
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting thread!
Here is a 2005 Newell, midentry, for the price of an Entegra Aspire.
California Coach Company
Happy Travels!

Old 01-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
I would jump all over that Newell in a heartbeat if it had a Murphy Bed in the bedroom which it doesn't.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #60

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Tain't funny McGee. I'm sitting here recovering from knee surgery. Between hip and knee problem walking has been a bad option for me for several years. Watching the other folks in the various places we have been I see signs that I have a lot of company.

FWIW when we are younger and healthy is it easy to make fun of folks who would benefit from getting out of their chair to get some exercise. As we age one of the issues is joint breakdown. As that happens the more we walk the more damage we incur. The surgery to help that has it's own limitations so putting it off for a while is a common choice.
Sorry to learn of your condition. And without a smiley emote I guess the jokes on me. No offense intended and speedy recovery to you.

For the record.... I'm an above the knee amputee and have been since 1976 (40 years). Currently not using a prosthetic. I crutch up and down the steps / stairs a dozen times a day (full time 14 months now). And I'm aging too. Fortunately I don't notice any degenerative effects in my good knee or hip. Sure they ain't what they once were, but so far the exercise is helping me drop a few pounds which eases the stress and strain as the pounds drop. Still a big boy... but enjoying the benefits of the journey.

My experience would suggest the steps and stairs are a bigger challenge than the length of the rig and door placement, but everyone is different.

I have a scooter in the back of the CR-V that I use sometimes. I can, when necessary - sit in a chair and load and unload it piece by piece and assemble / disassemble.

I would think rehabbing and ambulating an RV is easier than in a 2,000 +/- square foot S&B.

Speedy recovery to ya.

Steve
(Annie had nothing to do with it.)
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #61

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I am light. In spirit anyway. I know he was joking. I also understand that making a joke out of other people's choices is a way to try to control them. It is not a game I like.
I have no interest in controlling you or anyone. Just a joke that's as much on me as anyone.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #62
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I would jump all over that Newell in a heartbeat if it had a Murphy Bed in the bedroom which it doesn't.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard: It does not have a Murphy Bed, but I'm told that the bed retracts so the bathroom is accessible when the slides are in. I really like the color!
Old 01-18-2016, 01:02 PM   #63

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdawgs View Post
Monaco/RoadMaster up through 2013 model year and Newell built their own chassis specifically for the floor plans they were building. They were/are not "off the rack" multi use chassis. Newell does offer a mid door floor plan but most floor plans are front door. Seems like a front door plan offers better flow and easier entry and exit for the driver and front passenger.
Country Coach built their own chassis up to the 2010 when they went out of business and so far I haven't seen a mid entry one. Newmar had mid entry coaches up till '07 or '08 in their London Aire units and they used an "off the shelf" chassis.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:08 PM   #64

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
This is an Alpine on RV trader. That hole looks pretty dangerous without the step cover on it. I don't know if this is just a poor design, but it looks like something you just have to walk around all the time.

I'm betting that carpeted side piece with the handle on it folds down to cover the steps. I've seen that before.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:13 PM   #65

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
The next question is why aren't there front-engined diesel motorhomes? It seems like it would be an easy upgrade for Ford to swap out the V-10 for a Powerstroke, and would be far cheaper than any of the current diesel pushers. I'd love a sub-30' diesel motorhome.

Yes, I know there have been front-engined diesels in the past, from early Bluebirds up through Freightliner FRED chassis. This entire post is rhetorical.
Back when we had a Type C MH (1997) we found that they also made the Ford cutaway chassis with a front diesel. Even looked at one about 25' unit on a dealers lot that was diesel.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:29 PM   #66
srh

Monaco Owners Club
They have their pros and cons. For traveling and on the road, the front entry is more convenient, but for everyday living, the mid-entry has its advantages, even though the latter takes more valuable space than the former. You see quite a few Newells with mid-entry, but not too many others! I guess, if I had a Newell, I would take either!
Old 01-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #67

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
They do offer a Diesel Front Engine RV that are new models. Look at the Dynamax by Forest River Corp. some of these are built on a Freightliner chassis. If I was interested in a Diesel motor home, I would be looking at one of these.
Jim
Have you ever driven a DP? When you drive one it is obvious why a rear engine is better. There are four reasons: Noise, vibration, heat, and space.

The rear engine on my DP is so far away that I cannot hear it when driving. No noise, period. Likewise engine heat. Engine vibration is nearly eliminated by having the engine in the rear. And, I have no hump between the front seats to bang into or trip over. These are all reasons why a front diesel has zero appeal to me.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:43 PM   #68

Quote:
Tain't funny McGee. I'm sitting here recovering from knee surgery. Between hip and knee problem walking has been a bad option for me for several years. Watching the other folks in the various places we have been I see signs that I have a lot of company.

FWIW when we are younger and healthy is it easy to make fun of folks who would benefit from getting out of their chair to get some exercise. As we age one of the issues is joint breakdown. As that happens the more we walk the more damage we incur. The surgery to help that has it's own limitations so putting it off for a while is a common choice.
I know Flaggship was not making fun. He has his own medical issues and does very well while RVing.

As for as recovering from surgeries, it is much easier to do so in a RV than a house. You have fewer steps to negotiate, especially if you have a motorhome rather than a 5th wheel. We've had various surgeries while full-timing - knee replacement, shoulder replacement, cancer and a few 'minor' ones. By the way, we had a front entry.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #69

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Newmar did some years back, in their Flagship......... I like the mid-entry myself.......
The only thing about the mid entry that I don't like. Everybody entering uses the seat back as a handle and after being touched by every body it gets dirty faster than the rest of the upholstery.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #70

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Have you ever driven a DP? When you drive one it is obvious why a rear engine is better. There are four reasons: Noise, vibration, heat, and space.

The rear engine on my DP is so far away that I cannot hear it when driving. No noise, period. Likewise engine heat. Engine vibration is nearly eliminated by having the engine in the rear. And, I have no hump between the front seats to bang into or trip over. These are all reasons why a front diesel has zero appeal to me.
I have never owned a DP. I am wondering about the heat transfer into the rear bedroom from the engine. Is this an issue?

Tags
motorhome