Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #1

Two types of winter RVing are confusing.

Trying to research tips, tricks and advice on winter RVing I've found that most people simply park their vehicles and live in them and consider that "RVing". And they may well be correct, and living in Alaska in an RV certainly would present challenges. People even suggest putting skirts up. Sort of like bears hibernating. And I admire them for opting for that experience. Takes guts, I think.

Or they talk about the perils of living in an RV in Arizona during the winter. Still not using the wheels, though. A bit less courage, maybe, than cleaning 5' of snow off your roof.

What I'm talking about is traveling to and through places with rotten weather. Using the wheels, which distinguishes an RV from a trailer home. Does anyone know of sites which focus on using the RV to move from place to place during the winter?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are threads within this posting that may help with traveling, winter driving etc.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
In our case we live in our motorhome and we love to travel, but we also enjoy being in places long enough to see what's around the area. We might land somewhere for a while and use it as a "homebase" from which to take short trips in different directions.
jmugsshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
Trying to research tips, tricks and advice on winter RVing I've found that most people simply park their vehicles and live in them and consider that "RVing". And they may well be correct, and living in Alaska in an RV certainly would present challenges. People even suggest putting skirts up. Sort of like bears hibernating. And I admire them for opting for that experience. Takes guts, I think.

Or they talk about the perils of living in an RV in Arizona during the winter. Still not using the wheels, though. A bit less courage, maybe, than cleaning 5' of snow off your roof.

What I'm talking about is traveling to and through places with rotten weather. Using the wheels, which distinguishes an RV from a trailer home. Does anyone know of sites which focus on using the RV to move from place to place during the winter?

Hey Bowser,

Most RVer's don't want to put themselves and/or their families thru the gaunlet of situations, some very dangerous, that could arise, unless absolutely necessary.

I don't know of any real perils of living in an RV in Arizona in the winter, as long as you stay out of the mountains, where it snows and gets very cold, just like in Portland...

Fulltimer or Boondocking sites would be the ones I'd look for answers to your questions. I also think most would be doing it south in the winter, out of extreme conditions on the road other than some rain and wind.

Regards, Hamshog
Old 09-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Wintering in southern Arizona isn't bad at all. There a few nights that require freeze precautions. I would not want to be in northern Az where they get snow and lots of cold nights. I have never shoveled snow and have no intention of starting now.
jmugsshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:19 AM   #6

Thanks for the tips. I happen to enjoy heading off to mountains and lakes in the winter. I don't know that hunkering down someplace with our without sunshine would appeal to me. I don't know that I'd want to drag anything bigger than a smaller Class B up and down those snowy or icy hills.

I've just always enjoyed extreme weather, taught winter survival skills to climbing students. I have to admit to being a bit nervous about a high-top, two wheel drive Class B with a rack on the back no matter how good the tires and chains are.

I wouldn't think that sitting in a Class B throughout the winter would be my idea of a good time. For that I'd want a Class A with slide-outs parked in Patagonia, AZ.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Sportsmobile

Check out Sportsmobile out of Austin Texas. They make camper conversions from vans and they will do the conversion on a 4x4 van. Maybe that would make your winter trips safer? Hope this helps.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:17 AM   #8

Sportsmobile is a great idea, and so is Tiger RV. Unfortunately, I can't afford either of them or I would.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #9

We did a lot of winter camping in our motorhomes back in the 1970s and 1980s to various ski areas. We did weekends in western NY and an annual one or two week trip to either CO or VT. This was before heated basements, water tanks, etc. We did many thousands of miles of winter driving. Never had any major issues, always carried chains but never had to use them. It's been a while since we hung up our skis, but have extremely fond memories of those days.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #10

I have driven my camper over Colorado mountain passes in the winter to many times in the past-no way I would travel in that kind of weather again.One trip over Monarch pass took me 4 hours to go 8 miles, chained up on all axles!for all who enjoy that type of travel,go for but not me!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Seems to me I remember Bus service ran to the ski resorts in Colorado... if they can handle the roads, surely a Type A can. Don't know if I would mess with my C type.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #12

unless you plan to boondock you will not find many rv parks or campgrounds open in the Northern climate with snow,ice and freezing weather during the winter months.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can only tell you how I do it... Summer I'm tooling around Michigan, Usually the Thumb area.

Winters, SC, GA and AZ. Of course. wheels on the bus go round and round spring and fall and since I don't have a car every pay day and on Sunday and choir practice evening and (I hope to get a car in about 3 months).

I've shoveled all the snow I care to shovel back when I was John IN Detroit, now I'm John FROM Detroit, A good place to be From .

Seriously. If you want to know about cold weather camping,, Depending on how cold you either dry camp or insulate and heat.

Foul weather driving there are two pieces of advice I can give.

If possible.. Don't.

If you must, SLOW DOWN.

Oh, and get good tires (Aggressive tread) The more so the better. I have stories about folks who THOUGHT they knew how to drive in bad weather, but... Had the wrong tires.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:02 AM   #14

Thanks everyone. This is a great place. To follow up for some, to show wa8yxm I listened, I am planning a trip across Canada this January and coming back via NY, DC and Tucson to Portland.
I am planning on boondocking most of the way, and have a receiver hitch carrier on the back of mh '87 Falcon 190 Class B. It has a Honda EU 2000i generator, 6 gallons of gas in an extended run tank and a 5 gallon propane tank augmenting the 7 gallon tank built in.
I had a brother in law who was fond of saying that your brakes stop your wheels but your tires stop your vehicle. I'm getting General Altima Arctic tires, those being rated second best by Consumer Reports. The best were too expensive. And 3 sets of SCC Super Z6 SZ441 cable chains as recommended by SCC. They recommended them over chain style chains, though I don't know why. Three sets because they aren't reparable.

The reviews say the tires do better without studs.

I've sewn a quilt which will drop down and block off the cabover and cab, making not only for privacy but to conserve heat, will have an electric heater running off the generator and two GC2 batteries. I've climbed some serious mountains and taught winter survival skills, which is of no use in an old Class B RV, but I do sort of like cold weather.

What terrifies me is not being able to stop when I want to. If I get stuck I'll make it. If there is no room at the inn, I have the inn with me. And I'd really, really like to avoid going over a cliff. I'm trusting the RCMP to take care of their truckers.

I'm worried about the salt, and would like to think of a way to degrease the undercarriage and spray it with bar chain oil. I will, just don't know how yet.

Thanks again for the comments.

Tags
rving