Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Type C Motorhome driving tips

This is our first MH. We have a 31 ft Type C WB-Access 29T. We set tire pressure at 65 psi front and 75-80 psi rear. We have a backup camera. We have new tires, new HD Bilsteins all around, we have sway bars front and rear, and are adding relex steering stabilizer to front and a trac bar to rear in January before we start traveling in late Feb,2014.Hopefully this will help the stability while driving on interstate.

We will tow a CRV with AWD four wheels down using a Falcon 2 tow system and Brake Buddy. We plan to drive from VA south to FL, then travel around US visiting family, and key sites across the US.

With all this given, what are some good utube sites, RV DVDs, or websites for me to read and practice before going on long trips. I have driven and towed on a trip recently that was about 700 miles and was careful and didnt have issues. I do need to learn how to keep in center and am a little concerned about the mirrors sticking out and many overhead structures arent labelled for height. What type of helpful pointers do you have for this newbie to driving a MH? All input is welcomed.

With thanks.
New to MH RVing,had TTs/HTT/PUPs/Tents, retired 2013,now have more time for church ministries,fam,friends, camping, we have 2007 WB Access 29T with 6.0L Chevy,25K miles,31' 2013 CRV AWD Toad/Falcon2/BrBuddy
rvtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Time and careful miles will be your best teacher! Sounds like you are off to a good start......double check, triple check everything you do till you feel the need not to...... and that will also come in time. In my travels I have seen and learned a lot watching others and have seen a lot happen(damage) to others that have learned a lesson the hard way. If I see something that is going to happen while watching others leaving I stop them and tell them......TV antennas being left up is the most popular, seen electric cords left plugged in and the driver drives off.....not good to say the least. A check list kept by your drivers seat is a good thing......
Old 12-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds as though you have a great setup! Plus you are taking on the responsibilities that come with it in a very responsible fashion . . . just the kind of folks we like to share the road with.

One suggestion . . . practice driving the motorhome without the toad on some non-urban roads to get accustomed to the "feel." After you feel more comfortable with the motorhome, the toad thing will be no big deal!

Happy Happy Happy! Best of luck
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
It sounds like you are going about this the right way!
The only thing I would add is: Keep your road speed down to something manageable, don't get in a hurry. With a little time and experience, you'll soon learn the limitations of your machine.
Basically, take it easy until you are comfortable with your rig and you'll be just fine.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The only thing that I see you have not covered is tail swing. Most class C motorhomes have a long overhang behind the rear wheels. When in a tight spot you can catch something with the rear of the coach if you turn too sharp. This happens to people in gas stations where you pull up close to the pumps and if you have to turn sharp to pull out the rear can swing into the pump island. Just one example.
It sounds like you have covered your bases well and experience is the best teacher. Slow and easy for the first while and check your mirrors and watch for height. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #6

Go to rvtravel.com they have a lot of useful information. sign up for daily hints.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Couple of items. You say set tire pressure at 65 psi front and 75-80 psi rear. Did you set this pressure after weighing coach? Tire pressure is set according to weight carried. My motor home is 6k front and 10k rear. So each front tire carries 3k and each rear carries 2.5k. I run more pressure in front tires than rear tires. Do weigh coach and set tire pressure according to manufacturers recommendation. Also you say worried about mirror clearance. Class C's are wider in rear than front. So if your mirrors clear, everything else clears. It is just like driving a one-ton dually. Use the mirrors for clearance and all will be well. On the sides. You will become accustomed to looking up as well. Tree branches come out of nowhere, just waiting on you to come by, looking at everything on the ground. When backing, have spotter check clearances both at ground level and up high also.

RVing is great fun, you already have a great start. Remember, this is supposed to be fun.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:31 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Couple of items. You say set tire pressure at 65 psi front and 75-80 psi rear. Did you set this pressure after weighing coach? Tire pressure is set according to weight carried. My motor home is 6k front and 10k rear. So each front tire carries 3k and each rear carries 2.5k. I run more pressure in front tires than rear tires. Do weigh coach and set tire pressure according to manufacturers recommendation.

ronspradley
I agree with the tire pressures above UNLESS you have different size tires front and rear and even then the fronts should end up with more pressure. We do but I still need more pressure in the fronts. Our fronts are 305/70 22.5's and the rears are 275/70 22.5's. I need 105 psi in the fronts and 90 rear even so. Our front is 13,600 and rear is 19,800.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
front actual scale load-2300#/tire
tire table would suggest set at 65 psi

rear actual-2362#/tire
tire table- set at 75psi

I have 225-75R16 tires all six places

thanks everyone for your input

hope you have a blessed and safe New Year
New to MH RVing,had TTs/HTT/PUPs/Tents, retired 2013,now have more time for church ministries,fam,friends, camping, we have 2007 WB Access 29T with 6.0L Chevy,25K miles,31' 2013 CRV AWD Toad/Falcon2/BrBuddy
Old 01-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtime2 View Post
we have sway bars front and rear, and are adding relex steering stabilizer to front and a trac bar to rear in January before we start traveling in late Feb,2014.Hopefully this will help the stability while driving on interstate.
Sounds like you've added a lot for stability on the road. Before adding anything else...if you haven't already done so...once the rig is loaded up like it will be for your upcoming trip, have the front end aligned.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The best advice I got regarding driving the MH: "Don't go in anywhere you're not sure you can get out of. It's your road, so keep your speed in your comfort and safety zone. Take your time and have fun."

So, now I've passed it on! Have fun!
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
y'all are informative, very helpful, and fun to "talk" with in this forum. I value your comments, thanks.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtime2 View Post
front actual scale load-2300#/tire
tire table would suggest set at 65 psi

rear actual-2362#/tire
tire table- set at 75psi

I have 225-75R16 tires all six places

thanks everyone for your input

hope you have a blessed and safe New Year
What is your total weight allowed per manuf spec sheet? almost all large C run 75-80 rear & all run 65 frt. if u run 80 rear it will be just fine little easier on gas too. mine is 14.050 kmax newer ones are 14.5k also was that weigh done loaded for trip & 2 pass full gas, some fresh, no holding
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome