Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #1

Typical Class A motorhome itinerary?

I am just starting to research buying a motorhome for two couples to travel in, in the winter, for 2 couples. I think I would probably want a Diesel Pusher, so I could tow a small car.

If I travelled 300-500 miles/day, like when on a car/motorcycle trip, I would think the gas/maintenance costs would be prohibitive. So how many miles do you guys do in a day? Do you stay in one area for a few days or weeks, and use the towed car to sight see?
Thanks.
Ron750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #2

I keep reading.

The first year, people see the entire country, and spend a lot on short stay expensive per night camping spots, and burn fuel trying to see it all.

The second year, they only do half the country. They and spend more time stopped and get the weekly rate getting a free night, and enjoy more sightseeing.

By the third year, they cut the route down, spend weeks or a month, to get the best rates, usually a week or two free. Then enjoy the local color, happenings, best weather and become more than just a tourist.

There are those that do the 2-2-2. Which is drive 200 miles, quit by 2, and spend 2 nights. Other's like the 3-3-3 pattern.

We like to run around in the towed car, gets great mileage, see what we listed on our search of the areas. We list the best of the best "____________" be it , salsa, burgers, seafood lunch, or museum, or attractions, festival.

When motorcycling we were on a mission to get as far away in a day as possible, then drop to 200-300 miles max, to see all we could. Best of luck and slow down and enjoy. Also read some travel blogs. There you get the feel of full time travel and living, to see how much people see, and how slow they travel.
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:22 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the forum!

Some of us use the Rule of Twos (or Threes):

No more than 200 (300) miles in a day
Set up by 2:00pm (3:00pm)
Stay 2 (3) days.

If you're not planning to go sight seeing, don't take the toad.

You can pull a toad with a gasser, too - many are rated for pulling up to 5000lbs, and others are rated up to 10,000lbs. Either way, gas or diesel, mileage isn't like your car or motorcycle. These road beasts eat up fuel, but you're moving an entire house on wheels.

You also might consider a 5th wheel or travel trailer. In that case, you take one vehicle, so gas mileage might be a little better (I usually got around 12 miles an hour when we towed a trailer), and you spend less on the trailer than on a class A or C. You need a tow vehicle, though. It's all trade offs.

Happy camping,
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiamtns View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Some of us use the Rule of Twos (or Threes):

No more than 200 (300) miles in a day
Set up by 2:00pm (3:00pm)
Stay 2 (3) days.

If you're not planning to go sight seeing, don't take the toad.

You can pull a toad with a gasser, too - many are rated for pulling up to 5000lbs, and others are rated up to 10,000lbs. Either way, gas or diesel, mileage isn't like your car or motorcycle. These road beasts eat up fuel, but you're moving an entire house on wheels.

You also might consider a 5th wheel or travel trailer. In that case, you take one vehicle, so gas mileage might be a little better (I usually got around 12 miles an hour when we towed a trailer), and you spend less on the trailer than on a class A or C. You need a tow vehicle, though. It's all trade offs.

Happy camping,
It would take you forever to get there doing 12 miles an hour
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you ever done any RVing at all? If not I'd suggest you get together with the other couple and rent an RV for a week or so.

Our motorhome has a bath and a half....that means two toilets. When we have another couple with us we give them the master bedroom and big bathroom while we use the couch and half bath.
Two toilets are nice, especially if one breaks like one of ours did while we were on a trip.

We travel anywhere from 30 miles a day to 500 but prefer to keep it around 250 or so a day.

To plan your costs figure 7 mpg and $45 a day for an RV park. You may do better than that but for trip planning that's what I use.

Our average cost while on a month or longer trip is $100 a day. That includes everything...gas, RV park, food, sightseeing, odds and ends.

Your biggest headache is going to be stowing all the stuff everybody wants to bring along. Remember, this is not the Pequod in search of the white whale for a year.

There are Walmarts everywhere you go in case you forget something. Good luck on your hunt for an RV.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #6

I lived with my wife in a gas powered, 36' motorhome for nearly 12 years and we did tow a Honda, CR-V the entire time. We averaged 8.2 mpg for the entire time, nearly all of that towing. The point being that what is going to be most important for you in choosing a motorhome is the ability to sleep two couples comfortably and with some degree of privacy. Most class A motorhomes are designed for a couple with occasional guests for a night or two and a few for a couple and two or three children, but I can't recall ever having seen one with two bedrooms.

To travel 300 - 500 miles every day is possible, but why? Is this some sort of competition to see who can travel farthest, or do you want to see and enjoy things along the way? I don't think that I know anyone who travels by motorhome to enjoy riding in one for hours but rather we do so because it enables us to stop anywhere, anytime, and as often as we wish for as long as we wish. If you travel even 300 miles per day every day, you will spend at least 5 hours driving and more likely 6 hours so when would you actually see anything or relax and enjoy places?

As to maintenance, it is no different than any other large, heavy vehicle in that there is some but not a great deal if you do all routine maintenance when due and start with one in good mechanical condition. If you don't then a gas engine can cost you $7-10K to replace and a diesel several times that.

The key to what you should do is in how you want to travel, where you want to travel and how fast, as well as how long you will stay along the way.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #7

We try not to drive any more than about 350 miles/day and prefer less. We usually land for at least 2 nights every 3rd day or get to where we're going and stay for 3 nights at a destination like a National Park. That varies of course but that schedule works for us.

I can tell you that there is no way we would enjoy traveling/living with another couple in our coach. We've had the occasional overnight guest and that's enough.

The saying "Drinks for 6, dinner for 4 and sleeps 2" is pretty much on target.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:15 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ron750, welcome to the forum! First let me say that I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for the Full Timers that have lived it and share their knowledge with the rest of us. And Lord knows they have earned the right to travel as they see fit. However, I wonder if at times they remember traveling when time was an issue and that it takes 5 days @ 200 miles per day to travel 1000 miles... each way. Not everyone has the option or desire to drive 1/2 days or less. Part Timer's journeys most often depart and return to their home location using very familiar and well worn routes. A Full Timer has the option to plan and change routes, locations, and time tables at will.

Case in point, we're leaving shortly for a 2 week+- trip to the Durango, Co area from Central Texas; about 1000 miles each way. I know the FT's out there don't want to caravan with me as I plan to do it in 2 days which leaves a nice 10 day vacation on site. Conversely, I don't want to turn a 2 day drive into 5 through country I've seen 1000 times before and done everything there that I'm even remotely interested in.

Generally, 500 miles a day for me is easy. However, road conditions and geographical location has to be considered. It's not about a competition, racing, or bravado as some have insinuated and it's well within my comfort level. We do stop more often when traveling in areas that are new to us with new sights, sounds, and experiences. You may find you like to drive fewer or more miles per day and everyday can be different. There is no right or wrong way to RV, only what's right for you. Plan your trip to drive within your comfort level and ability and you'll be fine. Enjoy your travels and be safe!

PS. I do have to wish you much luck on traveling with another couple... that can be a tough row to hoe!
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:25 PM   #9

I see on New & Used RV's, RV Rentals, Motorhome Rentals, travel trailers and fifth wheels Sales and Service by Interstate RV, that I could rent a Class A motorhome for a week, for $1,395, 29 cents/mile. Does that sound reasonable?

Have to try that and see if we still like each other at the end of the week.
Ron750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #10

Very few coaches provide comfortable seating for 4 for a long days drive.
Even fewer winter sleeping comfort for 4 or 2 for that matter.
If these are your main search criteria , I'm thinking the mid engine Newmar ( limited years of production ) 4 captains chairs up front.
Equip the coach , with winter tires and a 4wd toad.
I've seen a post here in the forums that had floor plan pictures. I'll see if I can link you to it.

EDIT: Look at this post and go to the brochures linked in one of the posts for a floor plan. I think that the ATME, 4480, 4481 or 4484 with 4 seats and separated sleeping would be the only floor plan that would work for your situation.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/newm...ne-118470.html
Old 08-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron750 View Post
I see on New & Used RV's, RV Rentals, Motorhome Rentals, travel trailers and fifth wheels Sales and Service by Interstate RV, that I could rent a Class A motorhome for a week, for $1,395, 29 cents/mile. Does that sound reasonable?

Is that a 7 day week? $200 a day doesn't sound bad split 2 ways and it will give you some insight on what a longer trip might bring
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:25 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Sounds reasonable especially if you keep in mind familiarity breeds contempt.

At the end of a week you may want to change your plans.....
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:19 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:

That seems like a reasonable fee. But also keep in mind that doesn't include diesel fuel. If you went to a destination 600 miles away...that's 1200 miles round trip. Divided by average of 6 MPG = 200 gallons x $4.00 = $800 in diesel fuel (rough average). Then also there are campground fees. 6 nights x $30 (average) = $180. So we've spent another $1000.00 on fuel and campgrounds. Now factor in food, shopping, site seeing, etc
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #14

2 couples? I hope you're REALLY good friends. 4 adults & a confined space could equal some tension, especially if you're stuck somewhere and it's raining for 5 days. I'm not sure if I've EVER had a friend I would like to be around 24hrs. a day. That being said, I'm married to my BEST friend, and we'll still get testy sometimes when we're stuck inside for any length of time. But hey, if it works for you...go for it!!
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, itinerary, motorhome, operating costs