Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2017, 02:01 PM   #1

Tyron...

Has anyone heard of TYRON tire protection system???
bargeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2017, 02:01 PM   #2

It seems to me a dealer "UP-SELL"
Old 03-30-2017, 02:06 PM   #3

Number of threads here on them. Most recently I think they were mentioned in some of the accident threads and how they might have helped if installed.

Tom
Old 03-30-2017, 02:13 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
They were on my (used) coach when I bought it. I doubt I would buy them as they're quite pricy. A Safe-T-Plus or similar steering stabilizer is a cheaper solution for steering control, but if you really fear loss of control after a rapid pressure loss in a steering tire, go for it. One mechanic told me they cost you mileage and brake wear as they add weight and tremendous angular momentum to your wheels.

I'm glad I have both, but as I said, I'm not sure if I'd buy the Tyron bands for a new coach.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:40 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to DavidPP Send a message via Yahoo to DavidPP
The information you are spewing is crap!
There are many coaches that have the TYRON bands installed. The bands prevent the tire beads from collapsing into the well of the wheel and keeps the tire from coming off the wheel. The TYRON Bands prevent the wheel from making contact with the pavement.
There are many discussions about the TYRON Bands on the Monacoers Forum. You can go to the TYRON website and view the Videos and get an education about there use.
They do not add any pressure or undo forces to the wheel or tires. They do not effect fuel mileage or brake wear. They mount into the well in the center of the wheel and when properly installed the tire does not have to be rebalanced.
Several owners that have the bands installed and have had a front tire blow out never lost control of their coach and damage to the coach was minimal compared to the damage that would have been done if the coach was not equipped with the TYRON bands.
If you purchased your coach with them installed you got a $2000 bonus. You should research what you got and be thankful yo have them. You best not hold a lot of confidence in the Safe-T-Plus as to how much control you will have and the amount of damage you can get in a blow out.
Do your research before you start commenting on what you do not know!

FORETRAVEL ih-45, 2016 Ford Explorer
DavidPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:58 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, DavidPP. Spoken like a True Believer!

I think it can be shown that Tyron bands work as advertised, but it is not evident to me the extra protection is worth the price and the associated hassle if a wheel with Tyron needs to have the tire changed or replaced. Tire blow-outs are a rare thing, or should be if the tire is properly inflated and replaced before it wears or ages out. And blow-outs don't always mean a loss of control either. Tyron gives that extra, ultimate, level of insurance against the possibility of a catastrophic tire failure.

To answer bargeman's question, YES I've heard of it and Yes it works.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:03 AM   #7

My coach is 45 ft bought used with Tyron bands installed. Towing a jeep GC going 67 on I75 had sudden blowout on right front tire. I was able to bring everything to a stop and off the road, BUT the Tyron band had broken, it had come off the wheel as did the tire and riding on the rim. The band was found quite a distance back the road. Called Tyron in Tampa "that never happened before" have found out since that it does happen with some frequency. Also they warrant the bands, but would not compensate for the broken band. $16,000 + to the coach yet was drivable with new tire to repair facility. So, they are not fool prof, not so sure it did much since the Tyron band broke and tire and wheel shot.

J Nick
drjnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPP View Post
The information you are spewing is crap!
There are many coaches that have the TYRON bands installed. The bands prevent the tire beads from collapsing into the well of the wheel and keeps the tire from coming off the wheel. The TYRON Bands prevent the wheel from making contact with the pavement.
There are many discussions about the TYRON Bands on the Monacoers Forum. You can go to the TYRON website and view the Videos and get an education about there use.
They do not add any pressure or undo forces to the wheel or tires. They do not effect fuel mileage or brake wear. They mount into the well in the center of the wheel and when properly installed the tire does not have to be rebalanced.
Several owners that have the bands installed and have had a front tire blow out never lost control of their coach and damage to the coach was minimal compared to the damage that would have been done if the coach was not equipped with the TYRON bands.
If you purchased your coach with them installed you got a $2000 bonus. You should research what you got and be thankful yo have them. You best not hold a lot of confidence in the Safe-T-Plus as to how much control you will have and the amount of damage you can get in a blow out.
Do your research before you start commenting on what you do not know!

Tell us how you really feel DavidPP!

Am I correct in assuming that you have the Tyron bands installed on your RV? That being the case, what is your personal experience - any front tire blow outs?

Do you typically go to a manufacturer's website to get an unbiased education on their product or would it involve a certain level of sales promotion?

"You best not hold a lot of confidence in the Safe-T-Plus as to how much control you will have and the amount of damage you can get in a blow out." What is your source for this, at present, unsubstantiated statement?

I have checked out Tyron's website and the band appears to be a product which could enhance the safety of your driving experience.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to DavidPP Send a message via Yahoo to DavidPP
Yes, I do have the TYRON Bands installed on my Exec. I had spent some time researching them and in 2007 when a very close friend was killed when he had a left front tire blowout I had them installed. They were installed by Lazy Days.
Thankfully I have not had a front tire failure yet and hope I never do.
I am also a Co-Owner and one of the Moderators of the Monacoers Group. On the Monacoers Forum we have had many discussions on the TYRON Bands and Tire failures. There are quite a few members who have the bands installed on their coaches that have had front tire failures with the bands installed and had not lost directional control of the coach and damage to the coach was minimal. I will always go to a manufacturers website for information on their product and then independently do more research before I will make a decision to buy any product. I originally learned of the TYRON bands from a friend who is a Squad Commander for the Dade County Florida Fire Dept. He told me that Dade County has the TYRON bands installed on all of their Firefighting and most squad cars and have for several years. That was back in 2007 and then I started doing the research on them to see if they could be installed on my Exec. Lazy Days was the first dealer to start selling and installing the bands and I was probably their fourth customer.
The TYRON Bands will not fail or come off the wheel and will work as advertised as long as they are properly installed by the dealer. The installation is very simple, but very specific. I was present when they installed the bands on my Exec.
I really have no Opinion of what steering stabilizer is good or bad or if they can keep the driver from losing control or to maintain directional control af a couch. I believe that is dependant on the experience and ability of the driver to handle such an event, but any device is better than nothing. Just do the research and decide what works best for you.
The TYRON Bands, TPMS, Smoke Detectors and Fire Suppression Systems are all good Insurance against an unexpected event and like all insurance that you pay for, you hope you never have to use it, But if they give you that little bit of an edge to come out of an event safely then it would be a good investment and make good sense. What price does anyone want to put on their Safety. Everyone has their own opinion on what system will work for them or what they are comfortable with and it is simple logic that tells me that you are better of with something than have nothing installed that can give you that edge. I do have all of the above installed in my Exec.
Chuck Thatcher of TYRON Bands has given the Monacoers group a Presentation every year since 2011 at our Gathering we have in February. He gives a very good Presentation on tire safety and the TYRON bands.

FORETRAVEL ih-45, 2016 Ford Explorer
DavidPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:27 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"DavidPP"......You are partially correct and possibly betting your life on how they work. In order to install or remove any tire, there has to be a smaller diameter section in the center of the rim for the tire bead to drop into, in order to get the tire on or off the rim. If this wasn't necessary, all rims would be flat/straight across.

When Tyron bands are used, the tire has to be installed and then the sidewall depressed while the band is installed around the center of the rim. It shouldn't change the balance as you stated.

How it woks is where you're in error. When a tire goes flat (blowout), the tire collapses and may push or pull the coach. It's VERY rare that a tire actually comes off of the rim, which is what the Tyron band is preventing. Most people slow and stop their coach before the tire comes off of the rim. Will it protect the rim, yes and no. If you continue to drive with a flat tire, it will eventually disintegrate. Even with the Tyron bands, the tire will still disintegrate, but will leave the beads in tack. They can be ground lower than the rim edges and still damage the rim.

Many people are betting their life on these products and getting a false sense of security. I've seen the Tyron bands during demonstrations, because I was the guy blowing the tires for the demonstrations. This was when they were first introduced to the west coast, from England, about 20 years ago.

The company I worked for, bought 4000 pairs and installed them on a large part of their fleet. They lasted through one tire change before they were removed and never used again.

Do they have a place, yes.....if you think you'll be forced to drive your coach for a long period of time after the tire blows, then they may add some steering control. When I say a long time, I'm talking miles!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:34 AM   #11

David PP you say the Tyron bands will not fail if put on properly! Well mine did fail, it came apart and was one long piece of metal. It was sold and installed by Lazy Days in 2010, so yes they can fail!!
Dr. J Nick
drjnick is offline   Reply With Quote