Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2016, 09:09 PM   #1

Tyron Flat tire Protection... ??

Had a dealer want to sell me the Tyron Flat Tire Protection, just wondering if anyone is familiar with this??

Googled it but didn't turn up a whole lot and nothing very recent.

Any ideas on cost (person at dealership wasn't sure).

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 09:35 PM   #2
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I am considering getting them soon. There is naturally some debate here and there like anything. But I believe they are worth it, having every chance you can seems logical to me.

Below is a link to their site. They average about $1,000 range per front wheel. Safe travels to you.

http://www.tyron-usa.com/

W.D.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:40 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
they don't protect form getting a flat, they (hopefully) keep the flat tire on the rim so you have a better chance of keeping control.
Having had MH's since 1988 I've never had a flat tire while driving so I can't see a reason to have them. Now if I was participating in the NASCAR MH cup series then maybe....
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:45 PM   #4

I purchased it on my first RV with little knowledge and probably should have looked closer at the date on the tires...in hind site I wish I had just spent the money on new tires. I don't remember the exact price but I know it was pricey.

Thanks
Adam
Old 04-13-2016, 01:13 PM   #5

We have them on our Zephyr. It is just like buying insurance. If you don't use it it costs a lot for nothing but peace of mind. Same with Tyron bands if you don't use or need it , may seem like a lot, but if you need it, it becomes priceless!

John, Susie and Babygirl
2010 Zephyr QBZ
air force one
Jeep GC Summit
Old 04-13-2016, 04:36 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Looks like you're asking this same question on two different forums. Here is my response form the other forum:

The Tyron was developed in England and sold primarily to the U.K. military. It eventually made it's away across to the U.S., somewhere around 2000. They started marketing it California with a shop in Burbank. I know all of this because they asked my unit, Bomb Squad, to help with their demonstrations. They would take a demo car and buy a new rim and tire for it. I would grind down the sidewall in a small spot to about half of it's thickness. I would then place a military blasting cap where I ground the tire and put several large patches over it to hold it in place. Using military time fuse, we could time the blasting cap to explode within pretty tight time tolerances, like 1-2 seconds.

During the demonstration, in front of news cameras, the owner would drive the car past the crowd and the front tire would blow. He would then drive the thing like a maniac all over a large parking lot for several minutes. The tire would never come off of the rim.

How it works.....When you look at a rim, it's got wide outer edges and a well in the center. If the well wasn't there, you couldn't slip the tire onto the rim. For those same reasons, when a tire blows, one bead can drop into that well and then easily come off of the rim. The Tyron is a band that covers that well. You install both beads of the tire onto the rim and then push down one side and install the Tyron band that covers the well. It's tightened on with a wrench.

With the band installed, the tire can still have a blowout or go flat, but the tire will never come off of the rim. In a blowout, there is always a chance that before you can bring the vehicle to a stop, the tire can roll off the rim and leave you riding on the rim. You often see this when a spike strip is used in police chases......the vehicle driving on rims only.

My Department did their own testing and drove cars to the point that all that was left was the two sidewalls, the tread was gone. The Tyron doesn't prevent flats, it just keeps the tire from coming off the rim if you can't get stopped right away.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjnick View Post
We have them on our Zephyr. It is just like buying insurance. If you don't use it it costs a lot for nothing but peace of mind. Same with Tyron bands if you don't use or need it , may seem like a lot, but if you need it, it becomes priceless!

John, Susie and Babygirl
2010 Zephyr QBZ
air force one
Jeep GC Summit
X2. On the 365 tires with 10 inch rims it takes two sets to fill the well.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:37 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There was a thread recently about a couple having a blowout and some one else chimed in that they had experience a blowout while having the tyron bands and were able to control the vehicle well and avoid an accident. Over the years I've heard nothing buy good things. I'm going to do some investigating as the thought of a blowout scares me.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:09 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
A few years ago I got new tires for our Motor Home. The guys at the tire place could not get the front tires off the rim. They spent about an hour trying. They told me something inside the rim was keeping the tire from coming off. When I looked inside it took me a little while to remember the dealer who sold me the rig said they put a Tyron on. I never did see it. They had given me a special tool to remove it. I got the tool and the tire guys removed the Tyron and the tire came off.
So, I would guess this Tyron works. I would think there worth the money. In 2007 when I bought the M.H. they cost me $2000. I paid not even knowing what they were but I'm glad I did it.
Hal
Neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Guys.....Keep in mind, they don't stop blowouts. They only keep the tire on the rim if you need to drive a ways after a blow out. Think about all the blow outs you've seen....how many came off the rim?

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote