Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2014, 07:17 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow, just read the CNN article listed above, here is the imporant info:
"The cost of national park passes will remain at $80 for the regular annual pass, $10 for the lifetime senior pass and free for the annual military passes and access passes (for those with permanent disabilities)."

We have purchased several anual passes over the years, and for the $80, always felt it was a reasonable price. I have to agree with CJ on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
I have no problem with a "stable discounted rate", but now it is virtually zero. Is there anybody that wouldn't be happy to get a $10 per year pass to everywhere when they hit 62? I am just saying that they went too far.
If the regular annual pass is $80/year giving seniors a LIFETIME PASS for $10 is criminal. I am all for giving seniors a discount, such as half the annual price, but a LIFETIME PASS for $10 is complete BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
We are close to yosemite but rarely go due to too many people.
Having grown up in the Yosemite area, as a local, we used to always go the weekend before Memorial Day or after Labor Day, never in between. Yes that meant some years we had to climb half dome with snow still on the ground, and the cables were down, and it was sometime very cold going up the mist trail to Vernal Falls, but there were no crowds and nothing a light coat would not solve.

The real shame for me personally, is that I want to take my family to go climb Mt. Whitney, its such an awesome climb. Used to be just show up and hit it, however now due to the demand, you have to make reservations so far in advance, that its pretty much impossible to plan for. The only time the mountain is open is late May-Sept. If you make a reservation and show up, the weather conditions change so rapidly, that if you book a reservation 6-8 months in advance its entirly possible you could show up and have some really nasty weather. Not so bad at the base, but once you get above 8K feet, things change very quickly, and you don't want to be stuck at the summit at 14,500 feet and be in a blizzard.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #16

DegoRed: Would you rather be climbing Whitney by making reservations and without seeing many folks along the trail with you or would you like to not have to make reservations and hike next to a mob of people? You're not the only one that loves the climb so you'll need to share it somehow.

We hiked 'The Wave' along the AZ/UT border. Only 20 people are allowed each day - 10 accepted by an online lottery many months beforehand and 10 in person the day before. Not everyone gets to hike it.

Do you make reservations for your favorite sports game, concert, etc...... and what do you pay for tickets for a couple hours of entertainment.

I think the new fees are worth it and long in coming.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
In the past 40 years, the U.S. has greatly increased the number and size of parks and monuments. The budget hasn't risen to the same degree. I bought the yearly pass for decades, since back when it was under $50 a year unlimited entrance. Now that I've reached the age, the $10 lifetime pass is nice. I'd pay more, and believe in putting $$ in the boxes in the visitor's centers. We taxpayers spend a lot of money on things I don't agree with, I too am worried that families and individuals won't be able to afford entrance to our wonderful parks. Then I see it's $96 a day to get in Disneyland, reduced to $90 for 3 - 9 year olds.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Interesting thing, the photo shown at the link in the OP, is at a location that requires a 5-7 day backpacking trip or a 5-14 day river trip to access. I don't think the Nankoweep Graineries or the unimproved trail leading up to it requires much maintenance.

What concerns me more are issues like this. Plans to build a resort and tram at the confluence of the Little Colorado and Colorado Rivers, just outside the NP's boundary. Development Dispute in the Grand Canyon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0360.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	78649  
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #19

ScottyBDivin: We've all seen it happen with the Grand Canyon Skywalk - an awful thing. :(
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national