Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #1

U.S. National Parks Get The Go-Ahead To Raise Entrance Fees

Read the full article at: www.huffingtonpost.com

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #2

Thanks for the update. Our National Parks and Monuments are truly beautiful and wondrous places. I understand their need for money. I just hope all of the money goes to them.

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #3

We are close to yosemite but rarely go due to too many people.

Would like to see days with maybe $50.00 entrance fee or maybe one week 50 of each month.

It would be just like taxes...if you wish to reduce the use of something tax it...

I would rather pay more and be able to park and enjoy the park.

25 or so years ago we maintained their radio network and was there every week and it was busy then but crazy now.

Last visit we got on the bus and after about 30 minutes sitting still was told it would be better to WALK!

Walked from mirror lake to yosemite falls and the bus never passed us...

Raise the gate fee but keep the additional monies in the park that collects it.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:18 PM   #4

There us a much better story on the increase located on CNN or in the National Parks Traveler.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:34 PM   #5

This is a very complex issue, as you folks realize. Raising entrance fees may be necessary, and I agree; but_ how will it affect the family of 5 that because of their jobs, must save for 2-3 years in order to take the family on a 2 week vacation to some of our wondrous national parks?
For some years now, some parks must be self-sustaining for the most part. Over-use is commonplace today, as our population grows it will worsen. The only way to keep a park presentable is to spend money restoring damage from overuse.
Complex issue, you bet!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 11-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #6

After reading this article, Yellowstone park considers bumping up bandwidth, I wonder about the real reasoning behind the fee increase. ($34 million will fund a lot of improvements within the park)
Old 11-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #7

I don't have a problem with raising the entrance fee to some of the most used National Parks. (easy for me to say with a senior lifetime pass) But what is $5 more for a weeks use of a National Park as opposed to taking a family to a Disney complex for a day, you need to take out a loan for that. The National Park system provides a look into history at a minimal cost. If they don't get the money from increased fees then they will get it through our taxes so let the people that use the parks pay for it. Even with the increase in fees it will still never cover the cost of upkeep, personnel and future development.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:43 PM   #8

Can't enjoy NP with the large crowds that crawl all over you and show their rudeness no matter how much a fee is imposed. Unless I go in off seasons, I probably won't go at all to these areas. In addition to raising fees, they should put out a capacity sign like in public buildings, showing cars and people. Once the capacity is reached, shut the gate until the population decreases. Would this slow down the rat race any?
Old 11-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #9

Tour busses full of French and Chinese is most of what we saw this summer out west at the parks. These floks paid big bucks to cross the assorted oceans and see the USA. Fee hikes will not effect them, just Joe Plumber and his family in OH. Sad but true.
I predict a Food Stamp style program for regular Americans to get in cheaper... yeah, right.

I do think the annual parks pass should be available to citizens at a fair price despite the gate fee.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is ridiculous is giving away a lifetime pass to all national parks for $10 to seniors. My wife and I certainly have benefitted from it as we each have our own, but $10 per year would still be a steal.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
What is ridiculous is giving away a lifetime pass to all national parks for $10 to seniors. My wife and I certainly have benefitted from it as we each have our own, but $10 per year would still be a steal.
The lifetime pass is an acknowledgement, National Parks have been been Federally subsidized and citizens that have been paying the taxes to support the subsidies for many years and are now on fixed income are entitled to a stable discounted rate. I don't have a problem with that.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Don't forget, it's free if you are a disabled senior. I agree with kwseeger completely.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:48 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
The NP's are a bargain to see if you are willing to put up with the masses. They are priceless if you are willing to adventure out and see what's beyond the pavement, gift shops, and hand rails.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:36 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwseeger View Post
The lifetime pass is an acknowledgement, National Parks have been been Federally subsidized and citizens that have been paying the taxes to support the subsidies for many years and are now on fixed income are entitled to a stable discounted rate. I don't have a problem with that.
I see a ton of RV'ers on a "fixed income" driving their $300k dp's. $10 a year wouldn't break anybody, hey it is less than (fill in the blank). I have no problem with a "stable discounted rate", but now it is virtually zero. Is there anybody that wouldn't be happy to get a $10 per year pass to everywhere when they hit 62? I am just saying that they went too far.

CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national