Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
ULSD Diesel Survey

A year ago when we purchased our 2008 motorhome, I had some concerns about the availability of ULSD in some locations we might travel within the US. It turns out that those concerns certainly were unfounded as I've never run into a fuel station that did not have ULSD available at some, if not all of the pumps.

While it's still important to look carefully at pump labels if you own a 2007 or later diesel engine, it turns out that the majority of all diesel sold today is ULSD.

I thought this ULSD Pump Survey was interesting in that reports the percentage of pumps dispensing ULSD has grown now to 97.5%. I image that there will contine to be some on-highway LSD available until the official requirement to cease retail sale of it in December of 2010.

Another item to notice is that a good bit of fuel which is despensed from pumps labels LSD is actually ULSD.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #2

Thumbs up

Once upon a time it didn't matter to me as my cat engine was an 06 manufacture date in my 07 Phaeton. I have to say that with this Cummings engine in my 09 rig its very important issue for me.

Thanks for the information Joe
wagon217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #3

I puzzled over this extensively, as we spend significant time in Mexico where there is zero known-good ULSD (there are rumors some is trucked in to supply near-border stations, blah, blah, blah...). After sending the issue up the ladder at Cummins' booth at an FMCA rally, and pooling all the results from their engineering opinions (which varied, tho not by a lot), I concluded that use of non-ULSD fuel for even several loads would simply be "managed" by the particulate filter cleaning process. The clean cycle would operate more often. And it wouldn't be advisable to take an 07+ engine (generally found in 08+ rigs) on a permanent diet of non-ULSD fuel as that would prematurely kill the filter/muffler and about $5,000. My current process is to fill entirely just north of the border, and plan fuel use to run way low on return to the U.S. That way my first fill-up here will make me mostly ULSD again. We haven't been further south than 650 miles below the border, and so far with this method all the clean cycles (both) have occurred on ULSD fuel. After a full tank (115 gal) of Mexifuel runs out the tailpipe, there is a noticable soot film behind the tailpipe exit on the coach sidewall; it wipes off easily. That doesn't accumulate w/ULSD, and after the clean cycle it doesn't come back.