Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #15

Teenager problem solved through a similar technique.

'Mosquito' Repels Youths - The Early Show - CBS News

String me up from a tree! I went a little off topic! Heaven forbid a conversation stray a little.

69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #16

We bought a Viatek BC 45G to try and curb our dogs. No luck. However, it worked a treat on the neighbor's dogs. Passed it on to the other neighbors. They are thrilled. A few places sell it online--$15-$20.

Steve

Old 05-05-2010, 07:24 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta_P View Post
I know I can't hear our ultrasonic bark controller, I wish my hearing was that good! We have the PetSafe OBC1000. Here's the one we got: Bark Control
We also bought the PetSafe Ultrasonic Outdoor Bark Control for about $50 from PetSmart.com. It really works! When I first turned it on I made a "woof woof" sound to test it, according to the manual instructions. My dog's tail went down and he ran into the house. I use it in the backyard only when we are gone and my dog is alone. When we are home he never barked, just when we were was gone. The neighbors report that he doesn't make a sound anymore. This is one great product! Joe
Old 05-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #18

Seems that so far, comments are positive as to the effectiveness of the ultrasonic bark stoppers - so I went ahead and ordered one:

Stop Dog Barking with the Dog Silencer Pro - Safe, Humane Anti Bark Control Products Bark Control Product

This one claims to be a bit more powerful and expensive than other models commented on here, so hopefully will work even better! As mentioned earlier, this may well be worth taking along on our RV trips - uncontrolled dogs in CG's are as big - or BIGGER - a problem than the ones here around home!

After it arrives, and we get to try it out, I'll post results.

Thanks to all who offered info.
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #19

Hey Joe, where you goin' with that PetSafe Ultrasonic Outdoor Bark Control in yo hand?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyway, took your advice and bought one (PetSafe Ultrasonic Outdoor Bark Control) and unleashed it on my pups. Works really well. Shame about no on/off switch, but it does work. Hopefully, it will make a lasting impression.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #20

OK, we got THIS version ultrasonic bark-stopper for controlling neighbor's dogs:

Stop Dog Barking with the Dog Silencer Pro - Safe, Humane Anti Bark Control Product

And it works GREAT!

So far, worse case scenario has been that the dogs will bark about 3 times (instead of the previous HOURS non-stop, full volume!) - and even THAT has been rare - and then shut up and head for the other side of the neighbor's house, away from our side! We got the complete, refurbished version, with the extra power module and 75 foot extension cord - best $89 or so we've spent in a LONG time - we can hardly wait to take it camping, and see how it does with the too-frequent noisy and uncontrolled hairy "darlings" in neighboring campsites...

They have a sale going on now for even lower price!

Best thing is, it's pure stealth, we and the dogs are the only ones who know it's there doing the job!
Old 05-28-2010, 08:37 PM   #21

Controlling barking dogs when the owners won't...

This is a final post from a related thread up in the general topics section - I hope the info and results, at least in my own specific case, might interest others with similar problems, either at home, or out in the parks and campgrounds:

Quote:
OK, we got THIS version ultrasonic bark-stopper for controlling neighbor's dogs:

Stop Dog Barking with the Dog Silencer Pro - Safe, Humane Anti Bark Control Product

And it works GREAT!

So far, worse case scenario has been that the dogs will bark about 3 times (instead of the previous HOURS non-stop, full volume!) - and even THAT has been rare - and then shut up and head for the other side of the neighbor's house, away from our side! We got the complete, refurbished version, with the extra power module and 75 foot extension cord - best $89 or so we've spent in a LONG time - we can hardly wait to take it camping, and see how it does with the too-frequent noisy and uncontrolled hairy "darlings" in neighboring campsites...

They have a sale going on now for even lower price!

Best thing is, it's pure stealth, we and the dogs are the only ones who know it's there doing the job!
Old 05-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #22

Gary,

Thanks so much for posting a follow up on this, I am in a somewhat similar rural situation with neighbor dog barking most of the night, and I am at the point where I'd pay almost any amount of money to get it stopped. Just for the record, I am very much a dog person and have owned one or two of them all my life. I don't blame the dog, I do blame the owner and have tried all other methods to rectify the situation.

I measured the distance yesterday and it looks like I'm right at the edge of the 75' detection distance. I don't quite get the specs when it says the unit has a 75' bark detection range and a 300' sound travel distance. If I'm understanding this correctly the real spec is 75', as if the unit cannot detect barking beyond 75' it really doesn't matter if the sound travels 300'?

I may need to put this unit in a bird house to operate covertly at a closer distance. Will need to do some thinking on that as the unit needs to receive the bark signal and transmit the noise signal. Might have to be a birdhouse with a really large hole for a really large bird.

Do you know if this company offers a more powerful unit?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Griffit View Post
Gary,

Thanks so much for posting a follow up on this, I am in a somewhat similar rural situation with neighbor dog barking most of the night, and I am at the point where I'd pay almost any amount of money to get it stopped. Just for the record, I am very much a dog person and have owned one or two of them all my life. I don't blame the dog, I do blame the owner and have tried all other methods to rectify the situation.

I measured the distance yesterday and it looks like I'm right at the edge of the 75' detection distance. I don't quite get the specs when it says the unit has a 75' bark detection range and a 300' sound travel distance. If I'm understanding this correctly the real spec is 75', as if the unit cannot detect barking beyond 75' it really doesn't matter if the sound travels 300'?

I may need to put this unit in a bird house to operate covertly at a closer distance. Will need to do some thinking on that as the unit needs to receive the bark signal and transmit the noise signal. Might have to be a birdhouse with a really large hole for a really large bird.

Thanks
The unit I have, and provided the pointer to, is the most powerful and sensitive I could find available. The detection range is a nominal figure, as is the sound output figure. I have "hopped up" ours somewhat, by installing a 5 inch megaphone to the output for (hopefully!) better directivity and sound level at greater distances - and a similar smaller setup to the receiving microphone - so far, seems to work fine, but no ironclad way to measure any actual improvement.

One major feature - well 2 actually - is that the ultrasonic output is not at a single frequency, since frequency sensitivity of different dogs can vary - so this unit claims to sweep a range of frequencies to better affect a wider cross-section of dogs. Second benefit, is the excellent remote control, which allows the unit to be activated at will, regardless of the sensitivity level the unit itself is set to.

We're dealing with noisy and uncontrolled dogs here that are in the 75 foot or so distance range, and no problems with the unit hearing or reaching them so far. You WILL want the full kit - battery life is rather short for these units, depending upon actual operation time percentage - the battery would be fine for a weekend in a CG, and typically, about a week or so around home - but the separate 75 foot extension cord a wall-wart transformer keep the unit permanently operational, and at maximum power levels.

I was sold on ours, when I saw one of the neighbor's dogs out laying next to the fence towards our house. and I hit the remote control to see it's affect. The dog instantly raised his head, got up, and trotted to the other side of the house - it obviously was working!
Old 05-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #24

A bit of followup in response to some questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Griffit View Post
Gary,

Thanks
The unit I have, and provided the pointer to, is the most powerful and sensitive I could find available. The detection range is a nominal figure, as is the sound output figure. I have "hopped up" ours somewhat, by installing a 5 inch megaphone to the output for (hopefully!) better directivity and sound level at greater distances - and a similar smaller setup to the receiving microphone - so far, seems to work fine, but no ironclad way to measure any actual improvement.

One major feature - well 2 actually - is that the ultrasonic output is not at a single frequency, since frequency sensitivity of different dogs can vary - so this unit claims to sweep a range of frequencies to better affect a wider cross-section of dogs. Second benefit, is the excellent remote control, which allows the unit to be activated at will, regardless of the sensitivity level the unit itself is set to.

We're dealing with noisy and uncontrolled dogs here that are in the 75 foot or so distance range, and no problems with the unit hearing or reaching them so far. You WILL want the full kit - battery life is rather short for these units, depending upon actual operation time percentage - the battery would be fine for a weekend in a CG, and typically, about a week or so around home - but the separate 75 foot extension cord a wall-wart transformer keep the unit permanently operational, and at maximum power levels.

I was sold on ours, when I saw one of the neighbor's dogs out laying next to the fence towards our house. and I hit the remote control to see it's affect. The dog instantly raised his head, got up, and trotted to the other side of the house - it obviously was working!

The company clearly states these type units won't necessarily work on all dogs or in all situations - and we still have a ways to go in testing ours in varying situations - but so far, I'm VERY satisfied!
Old 05-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #25
CD

Gary
I have been waiting for your report also. I have a little different problem (our own dogs). We have 3 big dogs and live on a farm. I don't want to stop all barking. I am hoping to use it as a training device. If there is unnecessary barking I want to be able to say NO and push the button to reinforce it. Sounds like it should do that.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
Gary
I have been waiting for your report also. I have a little different problem (our own dogs). We have 3 big dogs and live on a farm. I don't want to stop all barking. I am hoping to use it as a training device. If there is unnecessary barking I want to be able to say NO and push the button to reinforce it. Sounds like it should do that.
Absolutely - when used as a training device, just turn the unit sensitivity all the way down, and trigger the ultrasound with the remote control - that control will work out to 500 feet, according to the specs...
Old 05-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #27

Do they have anything for snoring?
Old 05-29-2010, 11:10 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Do they have anything for snoring?
Let's don't there, my wife might accidently read this.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote