Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #43
CD

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave and Jaime View Post
All,
Stop and think about how you might use these devices for a moment. Where there are multiple dogs (yours or even a neighbor's) in proximity, if you put one of these collars on Dog A, won't the collar also go off if Dog B or C etc barks nearby and give a shock to Dog A? How cruel would it be if Dog A stops all barking but is constantly getting shocked because Dogs B and C may be barking (with or without their own collar)? If you put the collars on all your dogs, they will not learn anything because if someone else barks, they get shocked too -- remaining quiet will not stop the shock so you lose all the "learning" effect.

I would be extremely cautious about these type collars where there is more than 1 dog in the environment who could trigger the shock on an undeserving animal. That would be animal abuse, in my opinion. And these collars should not be used unsupervised (i.e. when you are not home with the dog) -- not only for the reason stated above (undeserved punishment) but also to be nearby in the event of an equipment malfunction that might cause constant shocking (so you can rescue the animal).

As a dog owner/lover (I am not a PETA radical) I think that any device that creates a situation where an animal might be shocked when it is not misbehaving is terribly unfair. Please use responsibly.
As has been stated above there are NO collars involved. We do use a shock collar on one dog (invisable fence). Without it she will go through, over or under the fence. If a gate is open, sometimes (if she is motivated enough) she will run through the gate and take the hit. I feel getting a shock is MUCH more humane than having her tore up by a bunch of coyotes. When she gets out she is gone for 3-4hrs until she is wore out, then she comes home. I have been shocked by the collar and it is not inhumane. It just doesn't feel good. Probably less than an electric cattle fence (which I have been hit with many times). The shock collar gives off an audable warning several feet before the shock so they know where the limits are.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #44
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
To the OP: Using that device in a RV park may turn out to be more than you bargained for.
Other dogs than the one(s) that offend you could be affected.
If I found our service dog cringing because someone was "harming her", there would be blood. Might be my blood, but there would be blood. Not flaming.
Keeping it in YOUR backyard is a good friendly idea. Now others have stated they are going to bring their devices to the RV parks. A good idea getting ugly.

Kerry
According to the manufacturer, the bark controler is like someone dragging their finger nails accross a blackboard. I'm sure you have heard it. Did it harm you? I doubt it. If it would shape up an irresponsible dog and/or dog owner I would be all for it.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #45

Would this work on Nancy Pelosi?
Old 05-31-2010, 12:59 PM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Would this work on Nancy Pelosi?

Or Sara Palen also?

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:00 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
To the OP: Using that device in a RV park may turn out to be more than you bargained for.
Other dogs than the one(s) that offend you could be affected.
If I found our service dog cringing because someone was "harming her", there would be blood. Might be my blood, but there would be blood. Not flaming.
Keeping it in YOUR backyard is a good friendly idea. Now others have stated they are going to bring their devices to the RV parks. A good idea getting ugly.

Kerry
Well, I have the perfect solution that should please us both...

Since park hosts and other "authority figures" in CG's and parks are frequently and understandably reluctant to place themselves at physical or verbal risk by getting involved in confrontations or disputes between campers, or enforce park rules, when/if you and I are in the same CG or park, and there is an annoying nearby, non-stop furry racket-maker being a nuisance, instead of ME using the bark stopper, I'll instead come and get YOU, so YOU can "shed the blood" of the offending pet owner. That way YOUR pet is spared all that "harm", and YOU can take out your physical hostilities upon the REAL offender breaking the rules and needing an attitude correction - and you and I BOTH will be satisfied.

I'm SURE you will agree THAT solution is FAR more acceptable, than for ME and other CG RVers to be powerless and forced to put up with the caterwauling pet of an uncaring and oblivious pet owner, rather than possibly expose YOUR dog to the same bark-stopper treatment we would ordinarily have available for use - right?

OH - and you DO realize the actual effective range of these devices is quite limited - 50-300 feet in open terrain, depending upon brand and model, NOR do even the up-close animals writhe or "cringe in pain" from these devices - and the ultrasonic sound will NOT go arround objects, or penetrate walls or windows, you DO realize all that - right?

Should I and other RVers meekly AVOID use of an effective but relatively HARMLESS tool in order to obtain the reasonable level of peace and quiet most park rules are set up to provide, because a few more distant animals might ALSO detect some reduced level of peripheral sound?

NOT A CHANCE!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Or Sara Palen also?

Dieselclacker

It only works on dogs . . . you choose which one you think is a dog.

I've made my choice . . . and will politely keep it to myself.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:02 PM   #49

I am still wanting to know if this devise can be used to stop my wife from snoring. She won't wear the shock collar anymore.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:12 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
I am still wanting to know if this devise can be used to stop my wife from snoring. She won't wear the shock collar anymore.
You probably don't have the voltage turned up high enough...
Old 05-31-2010, 06:18 PM   #51

Great idea. I'll give it a "shot" tonight.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:01 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotdodger View Post
I have a couple questions.

1-You tested it on a dog laying in your neighbor's yard that wasn't barking?

Anticipating your concern, yes, purely as a test and verification it WAS working! To be effective as a training device, these should ONLY be activated when an undesired behavior is occurring - a steady transmitted ultrasound might annoy a dog, but would only confuse him, because he wouldn't understand WHY it was being used, any more than constantly yelling at it would.

But you also have to understand that these devices do NOT function in effect similar to a human standing right in front of a train horn blast when it's activated - there is NO great wave of audible pain and suffering - merely a sound most dogs don't like, and prefer to not hear - sorta like the sound of fingernails dragging on a blackboard to humans - unpleasant perhaps but by no means painful or life threatening - sorta like Lawrence Welk music to a modern teenager!

2-Is it on continuously or do you activate it when a dog starts barking

The ultrasonic sound is normally set to activate only at an owner adjustable sensitivity level like a stereo volume control, and the transmitted ultrasound only functions in short bursts (about 3 seconds)with each activation. For training purposes, the version we have can have the sensitivity turned clear down, and the transmitted ultrasound only switched on in bursts by the provided remote control.
There seems to be LOTS of unfounded confusion and concern among dog owners about the ultrasonic devices - not only are they humane and relatively harmless, but in fact, there are enough dogs insensitive to these devices that the sellers make it quite clear they are NOT 100% effective on all dogs. I suppose that there is a remote possibility that placing one of these up tightly against a dog's ear when activated, MIGHT be potentially harmful - but that is FAR from anything like normal operation.

Fact is, effective range of these is quite limited - 50-300 feet across unobstructed terrain, depending upon brand and model - which even in the 300 foot range version, the effectiveness out at 150 feet and beyond becomes pretty questionable for a significant number of dogs - this means that REASONABLY reliable function is normally not much more than the length of a city residential lot. Also, the ultrasound these units use, will not go around large objects, or thru typical building walls or windows - so won't work on a dog inside the neighbors house next door!

Have no fear, normal use of these on your, or neighboring dogs will NOT cause them great physical pain or suffering, it will NOT make them sick, kill them, or make them deaf! But if used properly and as directed, it just MIGHT motivate them to STOP BARKING - or whatever other training goal you might want to use it for...
Old 05-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
lotta stuff here, I skipped most of page 2 and all of age 3.

We have this cheap lil blue thing. It cost like twenty bucks. I hit the button, our dogs hit the dirt. No yapping no running, they just jump straight up in the air, come down in a heap, and don't move or make a sound. For a while.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:42 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
lotta stuff here, I skipped most of page 2 and all of age 3.

We have this cheap lil blue thing. It cost like twenty bucks. I hit the button, our dogs hit the dirt. No yapping no running, they just jump straight up in the air, come down in a heap, and don't move or make a sound. For a while.
Jeeze - I may want one like that - what brand is it?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:21 PM   #55

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Gary,
I agree. But what amazes me is how little pet owners know about their pets. When a pet eliminates they usually do it to mark their territory and they do it where other pets have gone before, so when the owner allows their pet to go on your property whether they pick it up or not the scent is there and other pets will do their business at that location. My question is if the owner intends to pick up their pet's mess why don't they let the pet do it on their property?

look at the angies list commercial
the plumber walks the dog up and down the street so it can poop on someone others yard,
why could the dog poop in her own back yard ??????

our pups pee and poop on command and only in our yard or campsite (usually the rear area) and are trained to hold it if we are on a walk and one of them thinks they need to drop a shadoobie. poopie bags and pooper scoopers go with us on every trip
i have no patience for unsolicited pet poop from some knuckle head.

however if someone was to use a device that has a range of 75 feet in a campground and interfered with my pups, or made them cower from high pitched sounds, there would be a come to Jesus talk from me to them
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:12 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
This might be better in the technology forum - but I suspect far better exposure and response here.

We have a neighbor with 3 obnoxious and LOUD dogs - one is a hound with a 200 decibel baying - far worse than a simple bark!

Can't seem to motivate the neighbor to apply any training, control, or discipline to his fleabag choir - even though he does own a training collar. When it is suggested that he actually USE that collar, he replies he "just hates to do that to his dogs" - but has NO similar concerns as to what he does to his neighbors!

Anytime the dogs are left outside and alone, they bark full volume, literally for HOURS non-stop - and if yelled at, just get LOUDER!

The neighbors both work, and often are gone weekends - leaving their darlings outside to serenade us neighbors endlessly at full volume. Their uncontrolled racket makes it virtually impossible to use our own yard/garden area, or patio - at least without earplugs!

I've been looking at some of the ultrasonic bark stoppers, gadgets that *I* can apply on MY side of the fence - but don't want to waste $$$ on something that is ineffective - so, anyone have FIRST-hand experience with them? And, I'm not speaking of a cheapie, limp-wristed version, but one of the top of the line industrial strength units.

Anyone have info to offer?
You sure got a lot of answers to questions that you didn't ask. I have the answer to your question. I bought this unit:

Amazon.com: PetSafe Outdoor Ultrasonic Bark Deterrent: Kitchen & Dining

There are over 300 reviews to read. I bought it because our dog only barked when we were not home and he was in the yard by himself. He has a doggie door to go into the fenced yard. The neighbor told us about his barking. When I first got the Petsafe unit I used the 15 foot setting. It also has one setting up to 50 feet if I recall correctly. The instructions say that, for testing purposes, you can make a "woof woof" sound while your dog is nearby. So that is what I did. As soon as Ben (my dog) heard the sound his tail went down and he ran into the house. I never heard a thing! So now I set the unit to "on" whenever we are away and the neighbor said that he never barks at all. Whenever we are ready to leave I always say the same thing: "Remember...no barking...the dog house is on." We have had the unit for many months now and I have gone to two different neighbors to ask if Ben barks when we are gone. They both said that they never hear any barking, in fact one neighbor thought that we had given Ben away. Read the reviews and keep in mind that you can return it to most merchants if it doesn't work for you. Joe