Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #57

Quote:
You sure got a lot of answers to questions that you didn't ask
I don't mind the questions NEARLY as much as the wild-eyed terror and baseless fears that these gadgets will somehow permanently maim or harm the intended - or unintended - target!

At best, they seem to do exactly as yours and mine have so far - harmlessly motivate the dog, our own or that of others, to STOP it's unwanted behavior in a mild way. IF those "others" would responsibly train their own dogs to be more "socially acceptable", the neighbors wouldn't NEED to go to the expense and effort to do it FOR them - in self defense!

These typically have about the same longer term harmful health effect on a dog as yelling at it to shut up - and as we all know, that alone often is ineffective.

I'm not nearly as concerned about ours being TOO effective, as I am in it's limited range and other limiting factors making it too INeffective in lots of cases!

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #58

Seemed to work better on wife wit voltage at max. Still doesn't work as well as my sharp stick.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #59

Gary-K7GLD, you have well stated the case for responsible use of the u/s devices and also for responsible dog ownership. It is unfortunate that we have to deal with the irresponsible, but that is true in life. Some dog owners end up with an attitude of entitlement and total lack of concern. At some point, all becomes fair in love and war. I have considered getting an u/s device We are former dog owners. We found that our dog caused a barking problem, so we took proper measures to control that. When we finally had dog put to sleep for old age problems, we did not get another because of the responsibility and commitment required to maintain one.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:13 AM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Gary,

I hope your are still getting notified of new posts the this old thread.

First of all thanks for starting this thread that I ran across about a year ago. We have two poodles which seem to be barking more in the last few weeks than ever before, and we are having trouble getting it under control. When we are at RV parks we are always working to control the barking which is difficult when other pets are being walked near our space, on a pretty regular basis.

My current concern is that we will be spending this winter in the pet section of an RV resort and it's going to drive me crazy trying to control the barking.

Thank goodness I remembered this thread which I searched for, and re-read tonight.

I plan to purchase one of the mentioned units for use this winter at the park. The main purpose will be to control our dog's barking, but will be happy if it works if and when a neighbor's dog's barking become irritating.

Question: Is your unit still working effectively and to your satisfaction?

I will need to make a purchase in the next couple of months.

P.S. I think it's rather humorous, some of the reactions that people have in defense of their aninmals... I am very sensitive to our dogs well-being and don't for one minute think that an ultra-sonic device will harm our dogs. It will only work help them be good neighbors, as I strive to be.

Thanks again for the thread.

Ron
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:37 AM   #61
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is it true that these devices only omit the ultrasonic noise when the dog barks?
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Is it true that these devices only omit the ultrasonic noise when the dog barks?
That is true, per the info in this thread. The unit "hears" the bark and in turn emits the ultrasonic tone.

It's like telling the dogs "no bark", except that he listens to the tone because he does't like the sound.

Don't think it works on chattering monkeys, though....
Old 08-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
(SIGH!)

You guys just don't get it!

There IS NO local animal control. there IS NO local police department - this is a SMALL, rural 700 population community that is doing good to have a SMALL volunteer fire department/city hall.

PLEASE try to keep "helpful suggestions" on target - and THAT "target", is ultrasonic bark controllers, and their real-world effectiveness!

IF you are determined to hi-jack this thread with other (most likely inapplicable!) alternative suggestions, at least wait until I *do* manage to obtain at least a FEW suggestions that ARE on the thread subject...

Thank you!

Thread police in action

Please note; a dog owner that has a dog that barks (all the time) after a while tunes that bark out and don't even here it.
I've been in campground and had a camper settng beside a dog that barked day and night; when i approched him and asked him if the barking bothered him; he looked right at me (the dog was barking like crazy) and said he couldn't here any barking.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #64

When we lived in Hampton, VA some years ago there was a large bloodhound mix dog a couple of blocks away that lived outside all the time. Every time he heard an emergency vehicle siren, he would start baying in response and would keep it up for a couple of hours.

In the wee hours one Saturday he started his "song". We heard about 5 minutes of it, followed by a loud bang, then silence. We found out a couple of days later that the dog had been shot. A rather extreme solution.

One of our Labs barks a fair amount and we got an ultra-sonic "bark stopper". He's completely oblivious to it, but our other dog cringes when he barks. We're switching over to one of the electronic "zapper" collars.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
Gary,

I hope your are still getting notified of new posts the this old thread.

First of all thanks for starting this thread that I ran across about a year ago. We have two poodles which seem to be barking more in the last few weeks than ever before, and we are having trouble getting it under control. When we are at RV parks we are always working to control the barking which is difficult when other pets are being walked near our space, on a pretty regular basis.

My current concern is that we will be spending this winter in the pet section of an RV resort and it's going to drive me crazy trying to control the barking.

Thank goodness I remembered this thread which I searched for, and re-read tonight.

I plan to purchase one of the mentioned units for use this winter at the park. The main purpose will be to control our dog's barking, but will be happy if it works if and when a neighbor's dog's barking become irritating.

Question: Is your unit still working effectively and to your satisfaction?

I will need to make a purchase in the next couple of months.

P.S. I think it's rather humorous, some of the reactions that people have in defense of their aninmals... I am very sensitive to our dogs well-being and don't for one minute think that an ultra-sonic device will harm our dogs. It will only work help them be good neighbors, as I strive to be.

Thanks again for the thread.

Ron
Our unit has continued to function quite effectively in our situation - right up to the time the offending neighbors split up and the husband moved out and took the loudest 2 dogs with him - good riddance to all 3!

Without the urging of those 2 barking dogs, the remaining one is totally quiet and inoffensive.

SO, for now, the ultrasonic bark stopper is retired, other than taking it along in the RV's for use in various camping situations - sure could have used it this past weekend, but didn't even think to bring it along, and paid the price with three uncontrolled neighboring barking dogs...

YUP - you're absolutely dead-on on your analysis of the owners of undisciplined and untrained barking and/or howling dogs - I really don't think it's so much they don't hear or are unaware of the nuisance their darling creates, so much as it is pure laziness to actually DO something about it, plus, and more to the point, they really don't GIVE a damn WHAT their neighbors think about it...
Old 08-16-2011, 03:27 AM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
It really works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta_P View Post
I know I can't hear our ultrasonic bark controller, I wish my hearing was that good! We have the PetSafe OBC1000. Here's the one we got: Bark Control
We used the same unit and yep, it really works. One of our neighbors said that our dog was barking outside [we have a doggie door] when we were gone. We bought the PetSafe unit and I checked with the neighbor a week later and they thought that we had gotten rid of the dog because there was no more barking.

When we first set it outside I followed the directions to make a "woof woof" sound to see what effect it had on our dog. I didn't hear anything, but our dog's tail went down and he ran into the house as fast as he could! It is a great product and the neighbors are happy too. Joe & Mary Beth
Old 08-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #67

Newmar Owners Club
Ok Gary,

Your on the hook...

I ordered the Dog Silencer Pro by Good Life rather than the Pet Safe. Thinking that the extra cost may be worthwhile, and because it can be powered by the A/C unit in addition to using a battery.

Stop Dog Barking with the Dog Silencer Pro - Safe, Humane Anti Bark Control Products Bark Control Product

I will give it a try at home and, if found to be effective, will take it this winter. If not I will return it under their 30 day satisfaction guarantee. The company is located in Medford, Ore., so it must be a good unit... (I'm from Salem).

I should have made you an offer on yours, probably could have got it for 1/2 price.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #68

Quote:
I should have made you an offer on yours, probably could have got it for 1/2 price.
NOPE - sorry, ours is a keeper!

Hope yours works for you as well as ours has for us - good luck.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #69

There are two things a camper "must" have to enjoy a good camping experance;; and I just ordered mine; a cell phone jammer, and a barker controler
Old 08-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #70

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
Ok Gary,

Your on the hook...

I ordered the Dog Silencer Pro by Good Life rather than the Pet Safe. Thinking that the extra cost may be worthwhile, and because it can be powered by the A/C unit in addition to using a battery.

Stop Dog Barking with the Dog Silencer Pro - Safe, Humane Anti Bark Control Products Bark Control Product

I will give it a try at home and, if found to be effective, will take it this winter. If not I will return it under their 30 day satisfaction guarantee. The company is located in Medford, Ore., so it must be a good unit... (I'm from Salem).

I will be interested in your results as well. I have a 12 yr old lhasa that panic barks constantly when I took our maiden voyage and the last trip out she and the 13 yr old yorkie took turns with who was going to bark while I was out of the coach. Usually they dont start right away, but after a few minutes, maybe 10 or 15, they start. Have done everything I know in the short two months I have had the rig trying to make sure they know I'm "coming back home".

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote