Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ultrasonic Rodent Repellers

Has anyone used any of these Amazon.com: ultrasonic rodent and do you have an opinion on their effectiveness?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #2

Bruce, I have one of the E.T. mice/insect/rodent electronic units. I've been using one for approx. 1 year with positive results. I place mine in a outlet near the vanity in a 40 Ft. HR Endeavor. I've found that it is beneficial to change the electrical pattern that the unit emits every 2 weeks or so, as the instructions say. I think if the coach is infested these will not work to well. These units are a deterrent. We also use Tea Oil concentrate mixed with water in a spray bottle. A few drops per bottle and spray around any equipment touching the ground. (tires, elec. wire, sewer hose, etc.) Good Luck
pdidonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Bruce--I don't have any experience with those, and most reviews state that there is no scientific evidence that they work. Being a pet owner, I'd be concerned about how those high-frequency devices would affect my little dog.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I used a couple of the ridex brand one winter, along with dryer sheets in the storage bays. Not only did the do-dad not repel the mice, they made nests out of the dryer sheets.

I've found only two things that always worked for me. One is mothballs, but I don't want to distribute those in the "house" as the smell will be with you forever. For the house I highly recommend Fresh Cab. It's all natural and was developed to keep rodents out of farm equipment that can be left dormant for months at a time.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #5

We use RAT bait underneath and put it in 2" plastic tubing so other animals don't get it. You can also put flashing (see Roof Flashings ) around the tires. Mice can't jump or climb flashing. Put an Offboard on the electric line if you keep it plugged in. We have Ladybugs but really don't mind them. They go out in the spring.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:09 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
I had mice and rats building nests in my 'Vette. I started using the ultrasonic rodent repellers along with Fresh Cab and haven't had a problem since. I don't know which one is working (maybe both) but one of them definitely is.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #7

I saw a mouse in my MH about 2 years ago. I purchased the sound device from Harbor Freight and have not seen any signs of rats since. I leave it plugged in all the time. I made the mistake of putting out rat poison in my last motor home, one died under the floor, it took months for the smell to go away.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Bought one from Lowes. It is a Victor 2X. Got the first one for the SB Garage. Put it in the Pantry and rodents were gone very soon.

Now have one in the MH. And having been parked for a year at relatives home it has worked well.

We had stayed here before and had mice and rats inside.
With this no evidence of mice or rats anywhere inside.
bjcarpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #9

If they have a nest with babies momma ain't leaving.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #10

We have used them for several years. They work! We used to get mice. Now we never get mice. They will not hurt your pets.
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #11

Agreed, they work. my older MH always had mice- until I installed one of the electric units. 1 fall I for got to plug it in, I always keep a couple of traps loaded, started catching mice. Powered the ultra sonic unit up haven't seen another.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
They're a joke

I bought one, they don't work as far as I'm concerned. It did nothing to keep mice away from where I put it. It has a "test" button to let you know it's "working". All it's doing it using electricity because the mice sit in front of it eating…
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another gimmick like those "Deer whistles" that keep deer away form cars & trucks. If the ultrasonic devices worked every home would have them and Terminix, Orkin and other pest control services would be out of business. All the pest sprays wouldn't be needed. One of the Universities did a test of both items. Said they don't work. There is NO proof that they work. Placed one ultra sonic devices in a box, put different critters near, put bait (food, like peanut butter, meat) and the critters ate the bait. Many of these items are like the "Bear Bells" they sell in Alaska. I asked on of a parks rangers what the Bears thought of the Bear Bells? And his answer was. The Bears call them "DINNER BELLS". safe travels... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #14

They work extremely well. I guess it is like anything. If you buy cheap then they don't work. I bought mine from SAMS and they have worked very well. I have 2 in every room of my house. We never see mice.
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote