Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #29
Originally Posted by N6CUS View Post
Been to lots of KOA's and have never ran accross any as nice as the ones in the show, They should have shown Moab UT. now that would have been a little more of what I've seen and experienced
Or the one at Green River, Utah.

Terry & Alice
2006 Bounder 38L DP
2012 GMC Terrain
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #30
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After the Junction, TX KOA 6 years ago I said never again. April 2011 the Wind drove me into Fort Collins N. KOA, as I25 was closed in WY. $33 Not to bad, any port in a storm.

04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brake-Pro, ,, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #31
Excel Owners Club
The program seemed like a KOA infomercial.
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:04 AM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
The program seemed like a KOA infomercial.
I think all the Undercover Boss episodes are more like commercials for the business that is highlighted. Very rarely do they show a location that is terrible - although the one that had the Hooters CEO showed a location and manager that was HORRIBLE - but anyway ...

Why is it that all the CEO's seem to be blunderous oafs? I mean really ... has the KOA CEO really never cleaned a grill or cleaned up around his home? This doh-de-do-de-doah personification of the CEO's seems to be a recurring theme on this show.

Which just makes me think even more that the CEO's of these businesses are REALLY out of touch with the company that they are running!
2005 National Sea Breeze 1311
2015 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (trailered)
Follow us online http://OurRVJourney.com
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #33
Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
First - re: Undercover Boss - I have watched a number of episodes of Undercover Boss. Usually the employees offer improvement suggestions that the company then implements and/or a particular employee gets promoted or asked to help training at other locations. This episode showed just how inconsistent KOAs are and I didn't hear any improvements that would be implemented company wide.

Second - re: KOA Campgrounds - The first KOA we booked near North Conway, NH where we planned to spend two weeks, with our grandchildren. We had heard KOAs were great for kids. Our waterfront site was in a sandpit. To get to the water you would have to walk through the woods down a 20 foot drop. We could not even see the water. The utilities were at the front of the site. We were in a TT at the time. We were able to get all but $10.00 of our money back and went to a private campground a few miles away (Tamworth Campground which was very nice).

The second KOA we stopped at was in Holly, MI. The sites were so close together we could not open up our awning. We vowed never to stay at a KOA again. Still in our TT.

We had to stop at a KOA again in Wapakoneta, OH for an overnight, now in a Class A. The campground was very nice; the owners pleasant. We had a big pull-through site. The owners asked us to not give up on KOAs after we told them of our previous experiences. Continuing our trip south, we stopped at the Corbin, KY KOA. It was also very nice. We had a large site, clean laundry, good sized pool and dog park which our two Yorkies really enjoyed. We ended up staying two weeks.

Bottom line ... There is no consistency with KOAs and probably never will be. As far as I can see it is no different than having a "Good Sam" attached to the name. Buyer beware and check the reviews on every campground.
Jean Corsetti with DH Steve
Annie & Max (Yorkies)
2010 Monaco Diplomat "Tranquility on the Move IV"
jsetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #34
Tiffin Owners Club
The KOA in Bastrop TX is clean, kept up nicely and the owner was nice and accommodated a "late checkout" request we had even though the spot we were in was booked the next day. It was somewhat pricey based on us having four people at our site and staying in a "premium" spot, but overall it was a great experience and I would definitely recommend/return.
Justen & Kelly
Mico, TX
2006 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37DB
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #35
Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They also neglected to mention "family friendly" KOA has that extra charge for "extra adults" even if they are "family". KOA values are spelled GREED

I have been at some reasonable ( price wise and clean ) KOA's most of which were located off Interstates west of Chicago.

99 percent of the KOA's on the east coast are overpriced and run down.

That being said, I do stop at them sometimes as quite a few are convenient to the highway for one nighters. So some do get a bad rating as they charge too much for locations next to RR tracks/highways or other busy areas. That fast turnaround of campers in those places make the owners turn them into more of a parking lot than a campground as they try to squeeze the last square foot into usable space.
2011 Allegro 32CA \ 2013 CRV toad
Previous:2007 Winnebago Class C
99' Winnebago Adventurer /Towables
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #36
Excel Owners Club
Years ago when traveling across the country with our kids we figured out what KOA stood for:
eep On Adding
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #37
Freightliner Owners Club
KOA's are just like any other Campground, and they are all different. We have found a majority of campgrounds are well cared for and personnel are cordial. (That includes private, State Parks and KOA). Even franchise owners know about return customers and referrals..
Extra charges for more than 2 people are quite common, not a KOA exclusive....

We have found a few ringer's in all categories and have moved on. Using Park reviews on the net and Google maps, there are lot less surprises now. In the campground books, my rating of 1 to a 3 and the owner's SIL's 10 can refer to same campground.
Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
If you missed the show you can go to their web site and watch it.
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #39
We missed the beginning where he put on the disguise and I wonder how that nerd ever got to be a CEO. He played it very well. I have watched other episodes and they have fired managers on the spot and even closed down a hamburger place on the first day. Being franchises, they are all going to be different. They have to meet minimum standards. KOA just recently divided their units into three different categories.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Let me guess. More than it's worth. Almost more than it's worth. And not worth it.
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #41

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by jsetti View Post
Bottom line ... There is no consistency with KOAs and probably never will be....
That pretty much says it. That's where the CEO should be putting his efforts. When we're traveling without the rig (or even with it sometimes) and we get hungry, we start looking for a Chick-fil-A or some other national chain restaurant. We may not get the greatest sandwich, but we know we won't get the worst either. On the rare occasion we pull into a KOA, we never know what we'll find. Maybe great, or maybe not even turn the engine off before leaving.
Dave & Jo Ann
'08 HitchHiker Champagne 35LKRSB | '11 F350 Lariat 6.7PSD
Half Dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #42
Winnebago Owners Club
KOA is a last "resort" after Wally world.

Used to go once every 5-6 weeks for a weekend to Wekiva Falls Resort near our home just to get away. It became a KOA last year and is now off our list.
IMHO KOA is overpriced and not worth the trouble.

Paul , Vicki and Maggie ( American Eskimo )
2010 Itasca Meridian 40L
2013 Lincoln MKX Toad Central FL Based
Paulandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote