Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #15
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
True, but if mine isn't moving, then I'm not sure that it's a collision claim. Nonetheless, your point is well taken - cover ANYTHING that can happen.

If you're not moving and the other vehicle is uninsured, then it falls under comprehensive - same as damage caused by fire, vandalism or a falling tree branch.

2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #16
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by paz View Post
If you're not moving and the other vehicle is uninsured, then it falls under comprehensive - same as damage caused by fire, vandalism or a falling tree branch.
My policy is quite clear of the opposite. It will not pay under Comprehensive if caused by a Collision or upset. It doesn't distinguish if its an insured driver or not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3262460499.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	550.5 KB
ID:	54479

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #17
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First, Unlicensed and uninsured may not always be equal.. Many parks have very long term residents, I mean the park I'm in some rigs are on sites that still have 60 years left on their 99 year lease.. Now if the trailer is not going to move off site in the next half century... Why license it. and you get a DIFFERENT type of insurance for it.

However.. Many parks require that an RV be properly registered with the state and licensed (And thus insured) even if it was brought to the park with dealer plates on it by the dealer's porter and has never left the park in all the years it's been there.

I happen to think that is the best policy.

I think you have a valid concern, However not being a lawyer, I am both unable to answer your question (Do not know the answer) and if I did I'd be unwilling since it's legal advice..

Thus the only recommendation I can give is: Professional help.. Such as
Ben Dover & C. Howit Feels, attorneys at law (Thanks you Messrs Fine, Fine, and Howard for the excellent suggestion on the name of a fictional firm)
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:10 AM   #18
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Any resort/campground that I have been in has stated in the rules or fine print that they are not responsible for any damage to you or your equipment. Lets say you damage my property,bodily or material, you have no insurance, ,my insurance will cover medical and repair my covered property, now as far as you........you will get to know my insurance company's cooperate lawyer........good luck
You nailed it. Thats how it works.
jrgreenacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #19
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Those RV's have probably been sitting in one spot and never moving for a long long time.

And the odds of the no plates/no Insurance RV jumping out and hitting your MH or body. Is almost the same as a tree jumping out and hurting your MH or you.

Just make sure you have your own insurance to take care of any damage to your MH or person. Deductible amount you have is up to you.

seen a guy here in holt FL with his awning out

we all know FL and wind and rain can come any time

45 mpr gust of wind sent hes awning in to and over 3 rvs

RV 3 has the pipe from the awning stuck 3 feet into the wall

hes awning was not the only one to come off that day but was the only one that hit any thing

and you see it all the time down here ppl the put out there awnings tie them down and think there ok

they go in to town or late at night with them still out
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #20
Don't know how it works every where. But in NC. If a vehicle has a valid tag, It has insurance. Also in NC. The trailer is covered by the tow vehicle's Liability insurance. So, If it hits your trailer, The TV insurance pays.
The trailer has it's own Collision, and Comp. But only TV liability.

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #21
An RV park or any business can put anything they want in fine print or post any signage they want but that alone doesn't make it law, and incidents will be governed by local laws and ordinances whether they agree with the 'policies' of an RV park or not. In some jurisdictions a park owner maybe partially liable and in others they may not, you would probably have to pursue a legal case to find out (which might easily cost more than the damage, if indeed the party at fault can pay at all.) The answer is carrying enough insurance of your own. Not necessarily fair, but that's the way it is.

On a few rare occasions we have been asked to show proof of insurance when entering the park. I think we can guess what the law happens to be in those areas.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
My goodness, some folks must stay up nights thinking of things to worry about! Most RV's I've seen with expired plates would give you about a week's warning they were about to be moved. First the cobbed together skirting would have to be moved, all the toys and stuff poked underneath would have to gathered, furniture and flower pots relocated, tires inflated, etc. before it could budge. I usually just try to stay in nicer parks.
Seems like uninsured motorist and collision coverage would kick in if he was moving, comprehensive coverage if he was stopped and just exploded or blew with the wind. Now if the wind blew the RV into yours and his engine was idling I'll bow to the other experts on here...

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #23
As long as your betting agents yourself, there is no amount of insurance that is enough!

Quote: bygeorge
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Let's get back on topic please.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
An easy solution for me would be not to stay in those types of parks. That is the nice thing about having a MH, if you don't like the neighbors you can easily move
Chuck in SW FL
A "Classic" 2014 Entegra Anthem 42RBQ
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #26
After reading this thread today I called my agent and made sure I was covered in the event of something happening to my 5er. Basically she explained the below.

In Texas you do not have to have any type of insurance on your travel trailer or 5er to get it registered. You only have to show insurance for the vehicle towing the trailer. The tow vehicle insurance covers the trailer when it is CONNECTED. Not set up at an RV Park. If it is financed the trailer will have insurance because the finance company requires it.

So, don't be fooled. Just because it has a valid registration doesn't mean it's insured! We all need to make sure we are covered as repairs to these things aren't cheap!
Thebaldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:26 AM   #27
I couldn't imagine walking around looking to see if the neighbor has a valid tag and insurance.

I guess I just mind my own business and let the neighbor mind his....
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #28
I read on a forum not long ago about a motor home that took out a parked 5th wheel in a campground site and totaled it. Occupants were not home at the time, I am sure that insurance was involved though. I cannot use my imagination enough to figure out how it happened. Not really snooping but it is natural to look at rigs as you walk and yes, you notice those that do not have plates on them. What if the campground made everyone remove their rigs in case of an evacuation order like a hurricane?

jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote