Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 18,066
Some tire services won't do a repair, or will repair only certain kinds of damage. I don't know why GS would refuse to dispatch a repair service if you requested it, though. The service should be the one who is liable for the repair. Sounds like the lawyers are in control once again!
__________________

__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Dunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phx, Arid~zona
Posts: 11,106
My Phoenix American policy just says "Replace the tire with the spare". Is my unmounted spare "the spare"?
__________________

__________________
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Garvin, Oklahoma
Posts: 115
Does anyone know if triple AAA provides service to MH? Been a member for many years, but new to MH experience. Thanks.
__________________
Herb matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:35 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
vsheetz's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 11,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb matlock View Post
Does anyone know if triple AAA provides service to MH? Been a member for many years, but new to MH experience. Thanks.
AAA does have MH coverage, but if compared to Good Sam or Coach-Net I think most will not opt for AAA. Check the towing distance limitations, etc.
__________________
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Garvin, Oklahoma
Posts: 115
ERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
AAA does have MH coverage, but if compared to Good Sam or Coach-Net I think most will not opt for AAA. Check the towing distance limitations, etc.
I am brand new to MH'ing (even though I'll be 81 yo this Aug) and never heard of 'good sam' or 'coach-net'. I have had AAA for 25 plus years and used a few times for my pickup or automobiles. I believe I pay something like $75 a year for this coverage. Would you share what you know about the others for comparison? Thanks.
__________________
Herb matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Hooligan's Avatar
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Pensacola
Posts: 2,204
Herb:
Both Good Sam and Coach-net provide roadside service. I use Good Sam, have never had a occasion to use them. (where's that wood to knock on?)

They are both more RV knowledgeable than AAA or Auto Insurance. Will provide fuel, change a flat using your spare. Have a mechanic work for up to an hour to repair a problem. ( My understanding they provide a one hour mechanic OR tow to nearest suitable repair facility. If you use one you pay for the other...) Someone here may understand that in more detail.
They both have providers under contact for RV towing/repair.
My USAA insurance provides roadside assist/towing for $12 so I keep that in effect in case Good Sam does not cover something...
Good Sam is here:Compare RV Roadside Assistance Plans | Good Sam
Realize also that both GS and Coachnet give a low introductory price and then charge more to renew. The services provided are covered, -but materials, fuel, battery, tires etc you pay the going rate of that service provider..
__________________
Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 615
I just contacted Good Sam as I have read so many varying stories as to what is and is not covered. Here is a C&P of the message. Note she never answered the towing question.

Karen Oliver: Thank you for contacting Good Sam Roadside Assistance. How may I help you?

Customer: I have a MH that has 22.5 " tires. There is no spare carried on the MH. What does your service do if I have a flat while traveling?

Karen Oliver: Flat Tire Service
A service technician will replace a flat tire
with your inflated spare or we’ll tow your
vehicle to the nearest professional service
center. On occasion and whenever possible,
we will make arrangements for the member to
purchase a tire(s) for delivery to the disablement scene. In these
cases Good Sam Roadside Assistance will pay for delivery of tire
only, member is responsible for all additional costs including cost
of tire(s), mounting, balancing, other parts or labor, tax and any
other fees. Note: Does not include seasonal tire changes. Member
responsible for parts and labor.

Customer: So in the case of my MH which obviously is not towable with a flat, you do nothing more than send someone out with a tire and I pay everything from tire thru installation.

Karen Oliver: we have equipment that can tow you also

Karen Oliver: we pay the service charge for them coming out

Customer: How can you tow a 40' MH with a flat if it is on the rear?

Customer: If it would be on the front whose call would it be to tow or replace on the road?

Karen Oliver: If the service is available we always send the service but if you want to be towed it is your call.

Customer: I could not find any info on that and it is hard to believe that if I want it towed vs. a tire brought out, that you would be willing to pay the huge cost difference between towing and a service call.

Customer: So to summarize, you only pay the minimal charge of the guy coming out to the vehicle and none of the other costs of the tire or mounting.

Karen Oliver: we cover for the guy out to bring out the tire. just like if we towed you, you would still pay for the tire.

Customer: OK I thought you payed more of a flat tire total cost. In this case unless I have several flats per year there is no sense having your service as I can call a truck tire shop and have a tire delivered.

Karen Oliver: Ok sorry for the misunderstanding
__________________
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 615
Still being confused by Good Sams response, I called a reputable truck tire dealer and asked how they charge the customer if summoned to the interstate for a flat. He said they charge $70 per hour to come out and do the total on site repair. They would bring the new tire if I could determine a new tire was needed. The gray area being if I could not determine the flat cause. I got back on the chat line and asked the Good Sam rep these new questions. She could not answer them so she going to email me back. I will post the response when I get it.
__________________
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Garvin, Oklahoma
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Herb:
Both Good Sam and Coach-net provide roadside service. I use Good Sam, have never had a occasion to use them. (where's that wood to knock on?)

They are both more RV knowledgeable than AAA or Auto Insurance. Will provide fuel, change a flat using your spare. Have a mechanic work for up to an hour to repair a problem. ( My understanding they provide a one hour mechanic OR tow to nearest suitable repair facility. If you use one you pay for the other...) Someone here may understand that in more detail.
They both have providers under contact for RV towing/repair.
My USAA insurance provides roadside assist/towing for $12 so I keep that in effect in case Good Sam does not cover something...
Good Sam is here:Compare RV Roadside Assistance Plans | Good Sam
Realize also that both GS and Coachnet give a low introductory price and then charge more to renew. The services provided are covered, -but materials, fuel, battery, tires etc you pay the going rate of that service provider..
Thanks for your information, Hooligan. I guess I'll just back off and take a little time to decide what best fits my needs. Really appreciate your insight.
__________________
Herb matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Garvin, Oklahoma
Posts: 115
ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Still being confused by Good Sams response, I called a reputable truck tire dealer and asked how they charge the customer if summoned to the interstate for a flat. He said they charge $70 per hour to come out and do the total on site repair. They would bring the new tire if I could determine a new tire was needed. The gray area being if I could not determine the flat cause. I got back on the chat line and asked the Good Sam rep these new questions. She could not answer them so she going to email me back. I will post the response when I get it.
WOW ! You went over and beyond ! Thank you so very much ! It is very helpful and appreciated. What a great forum !!
__________________
Herb matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 615
Here is the answer I received from Good Sam about my question in post #22. It appears they try to pay very little of a flat tire breakdown. I also contacted Service Tire which is a big chain and their prices were about $90 per hour depending on time of day. Plus $.90 per mile door to door.

Most vendors will have a service call rate with a pre-set mileage limit. If the mileage is over that limit we will cover it also. Some work purely on an hourly rate so the service call portion would be determined by the mileage and how long it takes to get to the member. The delivery of a tire is usually included in the service call fee either way.

We don’t provide tire repairs due to safety concerns. If the provider was willing to repair a tire it would be between the member and the provider.
__________________

__________________
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.