Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unmounted spare tire and ERS

Good Sam ERS will change over to your mounted spare tire without additional charge. If the tire is unmounted there is a charge to swap the spare tire onto a wheel. About $130.00.

How does Coach Net handle the unmounted spare? Is there a charge and if so how much?

I am not complaining about Good Sam ERS charging or the amount. Just wondering how it is with Coach Net.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Community Administrator

That sounds high. I have Coach Net and carry an unmounted spare. Hope someone knows the answer. Personally ,I would think its up to the road service Co. that responds to the call.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
$130 to mount a tire is high. They may have taken advantage of your situation and are double dipping. Were you told this by Good Sam or the tire repair guy?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had occation twice over the years to do this. Both times were about the same amount. May be set by the service provider rather than Good Sam, dunno which.

Anyone been in this senario with Coach-Net? Or any other ERS provider for that matter.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tire repair guy charged us $25 to mount our unmounted spare, his business standard rate. We tipped him a few $$ also. Good Sam ERS picked up the service call.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Tire repair guy charged us $25 to mount our unmounted spare, his business standard rate. We tipped him a few $$ also. Good Sam ERS picked up the service call.
That sounds more like it.
Cliff

Old 02-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The rates for customer-pay roadside service are set by the company that does the job, not the GS or Coach-Net. You can complain to GS or Coach-Net about price gouging by the responder, but they really can't do anything about it except avoid the services that have lot of complaints. But then, choices are limited in many areas, so that may mean a much longer wait time.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #8

I was wondering about coach net myself, have used good sam once but my spare was already mounted, no charge to put the wheel and tire on. Second time I was gonna have them bring me a new tire because my spare is the original from 1997 and they were going to charge me $130 to bring a new tire plus $60 to dispose of the old tire plus the cost of a new tire which im sure at 10pm on a christmas weekend would be the most expensive tire available (probably $500+) so I had my old spare mounted and proceded from Arkansas to Georgia and back on it.
redfire312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #9

My Phx American contract says: "To replace the tire with the spare". No mention as to if it was mounted or not. I do carry an un-mounted spare, but haven't needed to have it changed.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:23 AM   #10
Community Administrator

I have Coach Net Gold and this is what my contract states:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4120711139.png
Views:	103
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	33690

It's probably debatable as to whether or not an un mounted spare is covered , however I'd be happy to pay the towing co for that. At least I don't have to pay for a marked up new tire and won't have to wait an extended time for them to get one.
Cliff

Old 02-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #11
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Good Sam ERS will change over to your mounted spare tire without additional charge. If the tire is unmounted there is a charge to swap the spare tire onto a wheel. About $130.00.

How does Coach Net handle the unmounted spare? Is there a charge and if so how much?

I am not complaining about Good Sam ERS charging or the amount. Just wondering how it is with Coach Net.
$130 sounds very high. Last time we had a flat, the tire service that Coach Net sent out charged $25 to unmount the tire, repair it and re-mount the same tire. Unmounting the damaged tire and remounting a different tire should not cost any more than that.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #12

I'm pretty sure my policy doesn't cover towing of my 20' enclosed trailer if my MH has to get towed. I carry the un-mounted spare with hopes that I won't have to be towed, just for a flat. That would ruin a weekend trip.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #13

Tire repair with ERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
$130 sounds very high. Last time we had a flat, the tire service that Coach Net sent out charged $25 to unmount the tire, repair it and re-mount the same tire. Unmounting the damaged tire and remounting a different tire should not cost any more than that.

Good Sam Platinum refuses to send anyone that will repair a flat tire, I was told 5 days ago.
I had a flat tire and yes I was in a campground. They said it was to much liability to repair a tire.

Do I understand you recently had Coach Net repair a tire on the spot ?
As I read their literature they say "install your spare tire".
In the past couple of years Good Sam did repair a tire for me on the road, but have since stopped that service.

After considerable time waiting they could not even find anyone to bring air to re-inflate my tire. (during the wait for them to find someone I found the valve stem had worked loose and all I needed was to re-air the tire.
Considering leaving Good Sam for good and going with Coach-net. if they indeed repair a flat tire.

Long time Good Sam member very unhappy with them. 2 times burnt....
Tom
01 Endeavor
azprospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One of recent occurrences with Good Sam started as a unmounted tire swap, but when the guy came he found a screw in the tread area of the tire. Removed the tire from the rim, repaired, and remounted it.

I have also since starting this thread called Coach-Net and learned their policy regarding unmounted space is the same as Good Sam. Both fully cover swapping on a mounted spare. If the spare is unmounted their is a cost to swap the tire over to a rim, and that cost is set by the service provider - not Coach-Net or Good Sam.

All this said, I have recently changed from Good Sam ERS and trying out Coach-Net. Primarily due to the technical service assistance aspect that Coach Net provides and Good Sam does not.