Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudtheDiplomat View Post
I CAN'T AFFORD TO LIVE IN MY 'HOOD!

Seriously, I live about 2 miles from Galveston Bay in Clear Lake. Our coach is our Hurricane Evacuation plan.

During Hurricane Rita, all of us sat on I-45 north in one place for about 19 hours, in 100 degree weather, running out of fuel, cars overheating, no food, no water, no bathroom. Knowing nothing about motorhomes, I asked my Discovery neighbor how they faired.

He said, like everyone else, they spent 19 hours parked on I-45. They turned off the main engine, turned on the GenSet, ate pizza, drank cold beer and soda, slept in bed, took showers, and, this is a BIGGIE, went to the potty.

THAT's why I bought a motorhome.

Maybe I should just get this next: World's Most Expensive RV - Platinum Plus RV
Hah! I told my hubby that now I shall scoff at hurricanes! We live on the San Jacinto River near Lake Houston, and I believe "Ike" rolled right over our house!! We elected to shelter in place for Rita, and after hearing all the horror stories and watching that traffic gridlock on TV, I was glad we stayed put.

We were without power for TWO WEEKS after Ike, though. Ack, that was miserable...but next time, things will be different!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I always checked the motorhomes in at our dealership. That way I could ask the customer about the writeups. I ALWAYS told them to remove guns,gps,Fancy hunting knives, Laptop Computers, etc. anything that could be picked up and taken with little trouble. My men were trustworthy but we worked on some of the units outside the shop and many times found customers wandering through other peoples coaches. I had signs made that said NOT FOR SALE IN FOR SERVICE DO NOT ENTER This helped but some folks still came in. That is why I think everyone should follow this advice.
That is good to know. I hadn't considered other customers "touring" my RV!!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #45

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I always checked the motorhomes in at our dealership. That way I could ask the customer about the writeups. I ALWAYS told them to remove guns,gps,Fancy hunting knives, Laptop Computers, etc. anything that could be picked up and taken with little trouble. My men were trustworthy but we worked on some of the units outside the shop and many times found customers wandering through other peoples coaches. I had signs made that said NOT FOR SALE IN FOR SERVICE DO NOT ENTER This helped but some folks still came in. That is why I think everyone should follow this advice.
And why were they unlocked? If not actually being worked on or otherwise attended, even for only a few minutes, they should have been locked. And the areas they were parked in should have been fenced from the general public. What is the name of your dealership so I can avoid it in the future?
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:30 AM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
And why were they unlocked? If not actually being worked on or otherwise attended, even for only a few minutes, they should have been locked. And the areas they were parked in should have been fenced from the general public. What is the name of your dealership so I can avoid it in the future?
[Moderator Edit] WE never had anything stolen, because we always had people remove the items mentioned. It is a joke to say keep one locked.(except during lunch and overnight) A mechanic has to go for parts, tools,etc. He goes in and out of a motorhome 20 or 30 times during a repair. If you are looking to blame someone, it should be the people who have no character and no morals.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #47

Umm ya I'm with ga on this. Most techs work outside and I only know of 1 shop where the shop is separate from the rest of the lot. And when a tech is goin in an out of your unit hundreds of times to there box or parts store they aren't goin to lock it everytime. So the extremely odd time you get one of those customers that think everything is there's they do go in the customer unit that is infront of the shop that is clearly getting worked on. It is the customers duty to take care of there belongings no shop will baby sit all your stuff because it is up to you what you give them access to. We don't ask for you to leave it in for us, we ask for you to take it all out that is why when your unit is parked there for months on end because you can't arrange pick up for it, it's your reliability. Yes all the gates are locked and there is either security guard or dogs. But if thieves want it... There getting it, I have seen way to many unit get broken into that I know I would never leave my valuables in it even in my own drive way. Just common sense in my eyes
Greger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #48

You can't possibly imagine how many people you have helped by sharing your experiences! I for one will put this one one on my NOT list! Thanks..
RABBITFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greger View Post
Umm ya I'm with ga on this. Most techs work outside and I only know of 1 shop where the shop is separate from the rest of the lot. And when a tech is goin in an out of your unit hundreds of times to there box or parts store they aren't goin to lock it everytime. So the extremely odd time you get one of those customers that think everything is there's they do go in the customer unit that is infront of the shop that is clearly getting worked on. It is the customers duty to take care of there belongings no shop will baby sit all your stuff because it is up to you what you give them access to. We don't ask for you to leave it in for us, we ask for you to take it all out that is why when your unit is parked there for months on end because you can't arrange pick up for it, it's your reliability. Yes all the gates are locked and there is either security guard or dogs. But if thieves want it... There getting it, I have seen way to many unit get broken into that I know I would never leave my valuables in it even in my own drive way. Just common sense in my eyes
This is true. Unfortunately "common" sense is not very common these days.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
I'm generally a trusting individual, but have to admit, since I had the theft in my coach, I've also had things stolen from my Lexus when it was in the Lexus dealership service department. I've even had home contractors steal tools from my garage.

My cardiologist says, "come back in 6 months so we can make sure your stents are open." Six months later, he says "are you having any chest pain?" I say, "No." He replies, "Then why are you here?" I answered, "I heard you needed to make a payment on your new yacht." He says, "We don't need to do anything. Make an appointment for 6 months." Two hours of waiting, 30 seconds of time with doc. His receptionist says, "That'll be $425.00."

I check to see if the oil is clean after an oil change. I put my initials in permanent marker on the filters prior to them being changed.

I think the days where "honest" and "service" could be put together in the same sentence have long since past. I feel like "if your stuff wasn't stolen, you didn't have what they want."

Seriously, I leave NOTHING in the coach - not even, and particularly not, toilet paper.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #51

Couldn't agree more as far as I'm concerned clean it out anything is possible
Greger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #52

I would not trust my selling Tiffin dealer with anything! I had to take our coach back last summer for warranty work on the front shade motor replacement and darn if they didn't get me again! They hit something with the front left fender well and tried to touch it up with paint. The fiberglass is split all the way though. I brought it up and they denied it again. Everytime they touch it they damage something! Thanks Colton RV!
Old 12-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Sarah.

This has been an interesting thread for me.

I suspect it is about to be closed.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
Old 12-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudtheDiplomat View Post
Thanks Sarah.

This has been an interesting thread for me.

I suspect it is about to be closed.
Yes, it's too bad the posts have gone off-track.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Last time I traded MH's it took a 14' enclosed trailer to hold all of the stuff that took me by myself over 2 days to put everything in it. I was lucky that a friend at the campground managed a Dollar store and brought me all the boxes I could use.

Full time for 13 years now. There has been a few repairs that took more then one day to fix. Even then they would move the MH out of the shop and hook it up to 30 AMP for me overnight.

I did stay in a motel for 10 days on the Insurance Co. that the one that backed into the MH had. For the first time and only time I did lock the outside compartments on it. And the repair shop keep it plugged into electric all the time. So I left everything in the refrig.

All other repairs have been done at a shop in one day so far.
Nothing has been missing including Laptops, EOS cameras etc.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
My hat is off to you full-timers. I don't know how I could possibly do it! Seriously! I'm honored and amazed by you.

You know that little TV show about people who have a house and garage full of junk? I AM THAT GUY!

I think I have socks I owned before I married this little girl 42 years ago.

It is called "pre-marital socks."

(Well, we were off topic!)
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad

Tags
service