Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I've always gone with the assumption that a lock is there to keep an honest man honest! A crook will find a way in anyway. I always put things away and out of sight. I don't leave things of value out for temptation. I have never had a problem.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #16
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
We leave things as they are when we take our 5er for service. Only once has a item disappeared, a new-packaged, camo-rain suit I bought for hunting. The service manager promptly paid me for a replacement. A month later, I found the original stuffed in a cubby-hole, under the bed (which they worked on). Now I have two camo-rain suits; the service manger has the money back, a written apology, and a bushel of apples for the crew.
Well done. My hat is off to you! We all make mistakes and it sounds like the service manager tried to make good. I have had to eat crow myself. It is not the mistakes we make that defines us but how we resond to them that defines who we are. I expect you built a trust that produces great service.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #17

I have never given that a thought when I took mine in for service. Twice in Florida where I left it for a day and even at the dealer here. I have even left it at a truck service centre when the alternator needed replacing. I think most of those people are decent., honest folks. It is kind of the same trust you have when you leave your things in a room my motel and the maid goes in there to clean.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
If you can't trust your service center how do you know they are honest with you about the work. We leave everything in and they secure the lot. We take out the guns but leave beer in the fridge. Tell then to help themselves after work to a cold one.

We get great service.
+1 A bottle of Crown Royal on the counter doesn't hurt a bit either.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
I live in mine so my stuff including the fur kids stays and we camp in the lot till the work is done no problems no worries. I've offered sodas and snacks to the guys working on the rig and they always have been very polite and accommodating.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #20

I don't worry about the dealer being behind any theving. Worry more about some tech or helper that may be quitting tomorrow thinking he will be long gone before anything is missed. Sometimes if something happens on the road you know nothing about who is working on your rig. The stuff I take out will fit in a small tote with the exception of my tool box. Once I had a new Kodak 35mm reflex camera and several lens taken from under my boat seat while refueling. They found it while getting the key to open the gas cap from under the seat. Insurance said not a standard item to have in a boat and wouldn't replace it. New insurance company as soon as I got home.
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #21

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Actually, I'm not concerned with anyone stealing my butter or other perishables...haha!! I was thinking more along the lines of household goods, etc.

Thanks for all the responses!
The concern isn't for someone stealing perishable food from the refergerator but for it spoiling if power or gas to the refrigerator is turned off. Getting the smell out is almost impossible.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
The concern isn't for someone stealing perishable food from the refergerator but for it spoiling if power or gas to the refrigerator is turned off. Getting the smell out is almost impossible.
Good advice, but that wasn't the point of my thread. I am specifically concerned about theft. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yeh Ray,IN thats how it would go down for me, 5 minutes after getting upset I'd find what I thought was missing! At least You apologized, We're all human after all!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I've had a Garmin GPS, iphone headsets, small stuff stolen. When the RV was turned into this local RV dealer/repair shop, they kept delaying the coach return (excuse: didn't have parts in yet). I found evidence that they allowed someone to live in my coach for almost 2 months.

The original bedspread was ruined, other stuff used, damaged.

I complained to the parent company, who did nothing.

Bought my coach from them. Won't go back.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudtheDiplomat View Post
I've had a Garmin GPS, iphone headsets, small stuff stolen. When the RV was turned into this local RV dealer/repair shop, they kept delaying the coach return (excuse: didn't have parts in yet). I found evidence that they allowed someone to live in my coach for almost 2 months.

The original bedspread was ruined, other stuff used, damaged.

I complained to the parent company, who did nothing.

Bought my coach from them. Won't go back.
So this was at a Houston dealer??
Old 12-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
DeMontrond.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:28 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Unbelievable! Sorry that happened to you, Bud. We started our search for an RV with them, but didn't purchase there.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:56 AM   #28
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I know this option is not practical for many, but a lot of us fulltimers will go to the factory for service, where we stay in the rig at night and at Newmar there just isn't a problem with possessions disappearing during service.

Fulltimers can't unload their rigs for service.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service