Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unpack for Dealer Service?

Yeah, another dufus question. I was just wondering if people unpack their "stuff" from the motorhome (dishes, pots, etc.) when dropping it off for service?

Seems like that would be silly, but I know most automotive shops have those "NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR LOST ARTICLES!" signs everywhere. Do you unpack...or throw caution to the wind?

Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I only take out perishables, so nothing goes bad. The rest stays.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
I agree with NLOVNIT and the perishables however don't forget to take out the guns that seem to be in 95% or so of the units.
2003 Mountain Aire, W/22, 09 Saturn Aura
richvkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you can't trust your service center how do you know they are honest with you about the work. We leave everything in and they secure the lot. We take out the guns but leave beer in the fridge. Tell then to help themselves after work to a cold one.

We get great service.
2010 Damon Daybreak 3204 Sport, bunkhouse with Jeep Wrangler toad.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:39 AM   #5
When we are ready to begin our 7 month annual journey, we load perishable food, personal toiletries, computers, medications, some DW work stuff and the dog. Everything else stays in the motorhome year round. When it goes for service everything except the above will stay with it.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Many of us live in our MH full time. No place to unpack anything. Had to take last rig in for something and the cat, dog and all our stuff went with it. I have read on here that if they need to keep the motor home overnight that they make arrangements for hookups so that you can stay in the home. Haven't had to do that yet.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
I wouldn't leave perishables if leaving for a few days, and anytime I have to leave it, even for an hour or 2, the portable electronics are removed (from temptation).
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
Guns, binoculars, rangefinders, any hunting, fishing equiptment, and tools come out. Food, cloths etc. stay in.
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
Talking Unpack for Dealer

They also have the statement posted not responsible, but if they are reputable then u shouldn't worry. If you take your unit more than once a year you have extra work you don't need!
mundyecoco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
We had a residential refrigerator installed last September, along with some other work, and the shop that did the work made it possible for us to stay in the coach all but 2 nights. For those nights we got a hotel room that had a full-sized fridge and we transferred all our perishables to it until the new fridge was ready.
Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Actually, I'm not concerned with anyone stealing my butter or other perishables...haha!! I was thinking more along the lines of household goods, etc.

Thanks for all the responses!
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We don't unpack anything. The dealer would soon be out of business if hel/she got a reputation for ripping people off while in for repairs.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most dealers have a sign: NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ITEMS LEFT IN RV.

Most lawyers will tell you it's not worth the paper it is printed upon.

Which is true (The paper would be worth more WITHOUT the printing)
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
We leave things as they are when we take our 5er for service. Only once has a item disappeared, a new-packaged, camo-rain suit I bought for hunting. The service manager promptly paid me for a replacement. A month later, I found the original stuffed in a cubby-hole, under the bed (which they worked on). Now I have two camo-rain suits; the service manger has the money back, a written apology, and a bushel of apples for the crew.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote