Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2016, 07:12 AM   #1

Updated RM7735 & Wal Mart parking

Just updated my Rand McNally 7735 that I have had for about a year & 1/2 so the existing info was probably at least 2 years old. This was my 1st update so I called the 800 number for help and got excellent support from Rand. After updating the GPS I ran it to see if I could see any changes.
On the POI, I clicked on parking & rest areas.
All the Wal Mart stores listed now say either "night parking OK - notify mgr" or "contact mgr". Nice adder if you are a Wally Docker......
WhiskeyRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2016, 08:42 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks, that is a helpful feature. I've been looking for a replacement for my cheapie Magellan (really a piece of crap).

mangy dog
mangy dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:13 PM   #3

The WalMart here in Destin Fl. has signs, no over night parking yet I have never been there or driven past without at least a couple of MH and semis. Sometimes it looks like an RV park.
rambler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:44 PM   #4

OK rambler62, I think we have broke the code. After reading your post, I put in Destin, Fla and entered the parking or rest area. It says:

WM supercenter @ Niceville contact manager
Sam's club @ Fort Walton Beach night parking OK-notify mgr
WM supercenter @ Fort Walton Beach night parking OK-notify mgr
WM supercenter @ Santa Rosa Beach contact manager
WM supercenter @ Navarre night parking OK-notify mgr
WM supercenter @ Crestview night parking OK-notify mgr
WM supercenter @ Defuniak Springs night parking OK-notify mgr
WM supercenter @ Gulf Breeze contact manager
Walmart @ Panama City contact manager

So I assume if it says "contact manager" it means no night parking. I checked several cities and can not find any walmart that says No Parking. Only "contact manager" or "night parking OK-notify mgr"
I know there are several that do not allow overnight parking, but for the GPS I guess they don't want to say no, so they say to contact manager.....
WhiskeyRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #5

I have never used Walmart for overnight parking in all of my years of RV travel. But just today, I came across a website listing Walmart locations that now ban overnight parking. Too many people abusing the privilege and rules.
As with most things today.....a few ruin it for all.
GoneToTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:05 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyRiver View Post
OK rambler62, I think we have broke the code. After reading your post, I put in Destin, Fla and entered the parking or rest area. It says:

WM supercenter @ Niceville contact manager
Sam's club @ Fort Walton Beach night parking OK-notify mgr
WM supercenter @ Fort Walton Beach night parking OK-notify mgr
WM supercenter @ Santa Rosa Beach contact manager
WM supercenter @ Navarre night parking OK-notify mgr
WM supercenter @ Crestview night parking OK-notify mgr
WM supercenter @ Defuniak Springs night parking OK-notify mgr
WM supercenter @ Gulf Breeze contact manager
Walmart @ Panama City contact manager

So I assume if it says "contact manager" it means no night parking. I checked several cities and can not find any walmart that says No Parking. Only "contact manager" or "night parking OK-notify mgr"
I know there are several that do not allow overnight parking, but for the GPS I guess they don't want to say no, so they say to contact manager.....
Contact manager means - ask store manager if it is ok to over night park. Some times they are having a problem and dont want you there for safety reasons, sometime they have roving security and maybe they want to let them know your there.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
I have never used Walmart for overnight parking in all of my years of RV travel. But just today, I came across a website listing Walmart locations that now ban overnight parking. Too many people abusing the privilege and rules.
As with most things today.....a few ruin it for all.
Do you have any infomation backing up your statement that "abusing the privilege and rules" is the reason for the parking ban ?

I contacted Wal-Mart about the "RULES". They replied with their standard statement that they welcomed RVers and truckers to overnight in their parking lot, unless against local ordnance.

I understand that many "in city" Wal-Mart's have to follow city ordanances about overnight parking.

As far as I know, Wal-Mart still welcomes overnighters, where not restricted by law.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:36 PM   #8

Fresh from the Walmart FAQ link.

Can I park my RV at a Walmart store?

While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store parking lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:57 AM   #9

Actually, I was not referring to Walmart 'rules'. I'm talking more about common sense and respect among our fellow RV travelers, when parked at Walmart.
After reading the following.....I can only assume certain overnight parking guests have possibly taken advantage of Walmart's generosity in the past.

This taken from another popular RV site:

"Some time back a list began circulating among RVers (you may have even found it stuck under your windshield wiper on awakening at a Walmart some morning) that tried to encourage proper etiquette among pavement campers. Here’s one version of the list:

•Stay one night only!
•Obtain permission from a qualified individual.
•Obey posted regulations.
•No awnings, chairs, or barbecue grills outside your RV.
•Do not use hydraulic jacks on soft surfaces (including asphalt).
•Always leave an area cleaner than you found it.
•Purchase gas, food, or supplies as a form of thank you, when feasible.
•Be safe! Always be aware of your surroundings and leave if you feel unsafe."
GoneToTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
Actually, I was not referring to Walmart 'rules'. I'm talking more about common sense and respect among our fellow RV travelers, when parked at Walmart.
After reading the following.....I can only assume certain overnight parking guests have possibly taken advantage of Walmart's generosity in the past.

"Some time back a list began circulating among RVers (you may have even found it stuck under your windshield wiper on awakening at a Walmart some morning) that tried to encourage proper etiquette among pavement campers. Here’s one version of the list:

•Stay one night only!
•Be safe! Always be aware of your surroundings and leave if you feel unsafe."
I have seen the list of rules.

I believe they were written by a Campground owners association.

Who's interest might they have in mind ?
Old 10-14-2016, 11:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I have seen the list of rules.

I believe they were written by a Campground owners association.

Who's interest might they have in mind ?
Why would a Campground association care about you following those rules at Walmart? If they were trying to cause trouble they would want all those rules to be broken and then use that against Wally Dockers.

•Stay one night only!
•Be safe! Always be aware of your surroundings and leave if you feel unsafe
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:32 AM   #12

[QUOTE=GoneToTheDog;3294165]Actually, I was not referring to Walmart 'rules'. I'm talking more about common sense and respect among our fellow RV travelers, when parked at Walmart.

•Stay one night only!
•Be safe! Always be aware of your surroundings and leave if you feel unsafe."[/QU
I agree 100% withthis post. i occasionally use walmart prking lot for an overnight stay. While in Alaska for the summer I noticed the fairbanks walmart lot to be used by some of the rattiest RV's imaginable and for weeks at a time.
i had a talk withthe manager and was told they were going to put some signage up limiting stays. Why do some have to ruin a good thing?
Old 10-15-2016, 09:10 AM   #13
Commercial Member

every one should take a deep breath, now breath out slowly. there feel better?
walmart welcomes rv'ers who want to park overnight. wherever they are able to do so. they appreciste our business. they dont want to turn away a customer.
i have stayed in many stores in almost all states. there are some who do not permit overnighters, because of local ordinances, others because of limited parking on holidays. others sadly because of abuse.
if you ask, normally there is not a problem. thats the key.
there are other places to park overnight. you can find them if you check the internet. there are campground owners who oppose walmart parking, it cuts into their business. thats a normal feeling. i understand it.
i just dont need the pool, playground, wifi, or cable. i just want a place to park for the night.
im not a destination camper. i travel because of my work. i have found several discount associations that let you stay for as little as 10 dollars. also elks clubs, sams clubs, cracker barrel, even lowes will alow you to stay,if you ask.
but in the end, its not really not worth a big argument over who is better than others, or whether you approve of staying there. its just a parking spot
and those ratty motorhomes, you should take the time to talk to those folks. i have. they are mostly down on their luck. veterans, older people who dont get enough money from social security to live on. disabled, or just broken spirit.many would be entirely homeless if not for that ratty old motorhome. have a heart
i dont begrudge them anything.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote