Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2016, 07:58 PM   #155
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for that information now I think I'm looking forward to using it even more.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2016, 03:20 PM   #156

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
John, your fans look like the one is put in my frig and if yours work like mine you'll be a happy camper. I had quite a lot of frost build on my fins and now I don't have any. Brockx go for it. I hooked my fan up to the power source for the frig, I drilled a small hole near the bottom of the frig (didn't want too but) and ran the wire down inside the frig to the hook up. Easy and it worked. I'm going to look for those temp sensors I like that idea.
I bought my Indoor/Outdoor combo at Wal-Mart $10. The Outdoor sensor of course goes into the refer, the Indoor portion (about 2x2) I Velcroed to the dash (and actually looks good) so we can keep an eye on the refer while traveling. I saw the "magic" spot recommended by another vendor for the hole pretty sure I'm going to go thru the drain tube for appearance. The only real problem I have experienced lately is recovery from defrost, temperature will get into mid 40's and then take a long nervous time recovering. As I mentioned above if the fans eliminate the need to defrost I can fool the defrost cycle by resetting it every day.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:17 PM   #157
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've found the fastest and easiest way to defrost is shut it off, empty the top shelf, put a plastic storage tray on the shelf and under the frost then let it do its own thing defrosting. I leave the rest of the shelfs loaded and do a lot of hand picking at the frost.

I've thought of helping it along with a heat gun but never have.

I just picked up a extension cord to run from the inverter to the frig so I can check out not using propane this summer. I'm convinced no heat from the propane will let everything work better.

For last summer I finally convinced my wife to have everything in plastic tray's, the last thing to spill helped convince her. The other use of the trays will be to hold ice in case of another cooling failure (no more parking in extreme angle winery parking lots for me while running on propane). Since the trays do not fit very snug with each other I think the air circulation between them helps with cooling as well.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:04 PM   #158

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I helped mine along with a hair dryer. Worked great and didnt have to turn off the fridge. When fulltiming, I only have to do it once a year when in extremely humid climate.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:28 PM   #159
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have to admit I never thought of a hair dryer and it's already always on board.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:54 PM   #160
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While not exactly an upgrade it helps keep it at 100% the generator was running a bit rough when it was first started but a new choke vacuum breaker took care of that

It also got a new fuel line, both fuel filters, engine oil and filter replaced as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	129866  
Old 06-15-2016, 01:47 PM   #161

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Converter

Got a question for you. I suspect that my converter has gone bad. I won't bore you with the details of my problem. But if I determine that it is the converter, should I look to replace it with the same unit or have you heard of any upgrade that is worth while?
Grandpavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:52 PM   #162
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My personal opinion and it's only that I would not run mismatched cats nor have I heard of any upgrades. I ended up buying a new one from eBay and cut the pipes off both ends and swapped them out by welding my original pipes on the replacement cat.

I felt comfortable doing that as both cats were etched with the same numbers that were very readable.

For some reason I still have the old cat and can take a picture of the etched numbers for location reference (not saying they would be the same number you need). I'll be leaving this weekend coming up for a few months so don't leave it too long if you think you want that. I would not trust the live in house sitter to take care of that for you.

Learn from my experience DO NOT take the cats off and replace with straight pipe you will lose hill climbing ability even on very small hills and a very noticeable drop in gas mileage.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:48 PM   #163

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile

That one is on me.
I should have been more specific - electrical converter - not engine catalytic converter!
Old 06-16-2016, 01:34 PM   #164
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry about that I don't have much experience with the converter except that I did change the solenoid when it would not switch over to charge the chassis battery when on shore power or let the aux start work when the chassis battery kept going low.

Does that sound anything like your situation?
Old 06-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #165

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No. I just put in new house batteries. They sat for about a month and when I went out they were completely dead. I'm going to put a full charge back on them and then hook up the shore power and see what voltage the converter is putting out.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:42 PM   #166

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpavan View Post
That one is on me.
I should have been more specific - electrical converter - not engine catalytic converter!
I was wondering whether you were talking power converter, cat converter or torque converter.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:45 PM   #167
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess my cat mis step left an impression on me
Old 08-28-2016, 05:51 AM   #168
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lace it appeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
John, your fans look like the one is put in my frig and if yours work like mine you'll be a happy camper. I had quite a lot of frost build on my fins and now I don't have any. Brockx go for it. I hooked my fan up to the power source for the frig, I drilled a small hole near the bottom of the frig (didn't want too but) and ran the wire down inside the frig to the hook up. Easy and it worked. I'm going to look for those temp sensors I like that idea.
Running the fans over two months now and while there is some some frost build up it's minimal compared to the past. I might have caused it by leaving a quart juice container right up against the fins as that was the only spot the frost appeared.

Tags
pace arrow, ace