Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2016, 07:52 AM   #169

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Running the fans over two months now and while there is some some frost build up it's minimal compared to the past. I might have caused it by leaving a quart juice container right up against the fins as that was the only spot the frost appeared.
I installed the "Force fan set" and started it in the center of the fins. Got frost on each end, so I moved it back and forth, end to end, each day to keep the frost to a minimum.

Leaving on a 2 week trip Weds., I have added a Computer fan to blow on the left end of the fins, the Force fan on the right side. It seems to me keeping frost off the right side is the smart thing to do, frost on the Thermistor has to be giving a false lower reading with frost on it.

BTW, ran the fan power wires down the drip tube.
Pull the plug out of the outside end of the tube. Push a piece of flexible 1/8" cable up the tube, into the fridge, tape the wire to the cable, give a shot of WD40 down the tube, gently pull the cable/wire through. Be sure to replace the rubber plug it has a small drain hole, bugs may get in fridge if you don't.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 11:13 AM   #170
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
The refrigerator fan is now installed as well, it's getting close to the time to get out of town
I have followed your advise and installed Inside Refrigerator cooling fans
in my refrigerator. Your fins look very much like mine (long). Mine iced up below where you have the fans mounted, the top never iced. You might want to move the fans lower on the fins.

This is a shot of what is behind my fins, there are no refrigerant lines high up on the fins. They are level with the refrigerator light.

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #171
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only reason I did not mount them lower is I'm afraid something may bump the fan while traveling and the flimsy clip will loose its ground.

When reading about your install I got the idea to install some kind of speed clip (you mentioned hard to push your clip on) then clip to that.

I like the shield idea and I'm waiting to see the outcome of using it.

That is a great picture and piece of information of where the cooling lines are.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #172
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
The only reason I did not mount them lower is I'm afraid something may bump the fan while traveling and the flimsy clip will loose its ground.

When reading about your install I got the idea to install some kind of speed clip (you mentioned hard to push your clip on) then clip to that.

I like the shield idea and I'm waiting to see the outcome of using it.

That is a great picture and piece of information of where the cooling lines are.
I like the shield as well, I believe that that should be part of the install for all the inside fans.

I like the speed clip idea.

After going back and reading the posts on the concern on hooking the fans to the light circuit, in my refrigerator the light says 15 watts is the max wattage allowed, now that might be for the fixture and not the circuit.

The bulb in the fixture says Philips 12 volt 10 watt

So the equation Amps = Watts/Volts says my bulb draws .83 amps and that is only when the door is open.

The dual fan unit draws .5 amps

I have removed the bulb for now and will replace it with an LED

Converting to an LED light means the current draw on the board will be less than the normal incandescent bulb originally drew.

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #173
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I've mentioned it before my incadesant interior light was burning out every week or so, I opted to test a LED bulb and it has not burned out for the last 2 or 3 years. Not exactly what your talking about but it makes me feel you changing yours to LED would be the route I'd take.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 09-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #174
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thinking about it now maybe if the frig was not reading in the low to mid 30 degree mark with all the humidity with the cooling tube at the bottom I would not have the frost build up. Thinking back it only started after I turned it up from the #3 position to number 5

Time to good back to the #3 position.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 09-23-2016, 11:56 AM   #175
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I thought I was catching up with my list but while at the iRV2 rally this year I found this at a RV surplus store so now 80+ feet later this finished trim work will replace the wood/cloth trim work around all my slides which I have never liked but put up with

See My RV Upgrades
Old 09-23-2016, 12:39 PM   #176
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
That'll be SO pretty, John! I'll be anxious to see the finished pics. I've got the same wood/cloth trim on our slides. If yours looks as good as I think it will, a trip back to Elkhart may be in my future (probably to Dave's chagrin.).

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:03 AM   #177

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I thought I was catching up with my list but while at the iRV2 rally this year I found this at a RV surplus store so now 80+ feet later this finished trim work will replace the wood/cloth trim work around all my slides which I have never liked but put up with
Nice stuff John, picked these up at a Mom & Pop shop in NE Indiana to use for trim when I yank the Norcold. 1 x 6 x 8 foot $5 each.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	139983  
Old 09-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #178
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That looks good, trying to find wood around here was limited to a place or two and the price for just the plain wood was to me on the expensive side and then it was just for plain wood.

The ones I got were 1x6x58" doors at a whopping $10. each. I also got some to match that were 2' long to cut up and fit in, they were still $10. each.

Biggest thing was the quality of the wood, already stained to match my interior and there was the workmanship to make it more than just a flat piece of wood.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 10-11-2016, 09:57 AM   #179

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WOW. Just WOW.

I just spent the past hour or so engulfed and entranced in this thread John.

Incredible.

You are quite the mechanic, not to mention powerful problem solver.

I'm embarrassed about my small paltry upgrades compared to this thread!!

I did replace those slide out fascias a couple years back as well, used crown molding and painted it black, but I think a different color up front in the galley is in order.....

Storm Remodel (2003 FW Storm 31-A)
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:05 PM   #180
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you but looking through your work I can not agree with you that it's paltry far from it.

I've sent you a PM.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 10-11-2016, 12:14 PM   #181
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I really like the black trim, Kent. It supports the accent fabric in the windows & the black appliances. Great job!

Ok John, you're next!

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:07 PM   #182
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well back in post 92 I installed air bags for a right front sag after that I put a 2" Mack truck shim between the axle and spring to lift it up without using the air bag which worked but started to put a different wear pattern on the tire during the trip to the iRV2 rally well now that I'm back I deceided to remove the shim, after looking for the cause of the right side dash starting to shimmy on bad road surfaces. During the inspection of the shaking dash I removed some wire bundles going up the right side of the firewall and found that 5 small screws had fallen out.

I jacked the house up about a 1/4" and installed oversize screws as the holes had elongated. Now I'll take the screws out one at a time and install bolts with crush nuts. I don't trust the screws as there is only a thin piece of metal glued to styrofoam and I really don't see how the screws will hold.

While reefng up and down on the dash for all I'm worth it's secured now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	141339  

See My RV Upgrades

Tags
pace arrow, ace