Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2016, 09:18 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Updating Fire Extinguishers

The last piece of safety equipment I need to replace for the coming year's camping season are the fire extinguisher's. I'm curious what others are using. It's a given they should be rated A B C (I think). Should they be 1A, 2A etc and 5B, 10B etc.. I'm leaning toward a 2.5 lb'er in the bedroom and either a 4 or 5 lb'er for the kitchen area. Thanks!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2016, 02:25 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Neal, I bought a Kidde rechargeable extinguisher for the bedroom rated 3A, 40BC. I wanted to put the largest one back there that I had room for! My thinking is that with that much extinguishing power and three smoke detectors to give me plenty of early warning, I should be able to knock down the fire enough to safely get out, if not totally extinguish it!

I still have one of the smaller units inside the front door behind the passenger seat, the size that came with the MH from the factory. I plan to replace it with another like the one in the BR.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
"I still have one of the smaller units inside the front door behind the passenger seat, the size that came with the MH from the factory. I plan to replace it with another like the one in the BR. "

Thanks Joe,the small ABC units can be purchased for under $20 @ HD,Lowes and WalMart.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:23 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Those small units won't put out much of a fire! A grease fire is about all they're good for! I would spend another $20 and get a large one that is rechargeable!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:01 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
10 bc should be the minimum. Don't pay too much attention to the A rating. A is for wood fire. B is for petroleum based fire. C is the same but with electrical involved. Also you have to know how to apply it. Most folks don't. A 2 a 10 bc rated extinguisher will do. I carry 2. One in front and one in the back of the coach. The extinguisher is not only for you but can be used on other peoples fires.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:07 PM   #6

Speaking from almost 40 years in fire service... I carry a 3A, 40BC, plus a 1A, 10BC. "A" is not just for wood, but "ordinary combustibles", which our rigs are full of! Wood, upholstery, wall coverings, etc. The number in front of the letter refers to the amount of square footage of fire that size of extinguisher could put out. Hence, 1A means 1 square foot, not very much! I also keep an extinguisher near the bed - to buy time for my escape. Do make sure you remove them from their brackets at least annually and give them a good whack to loosen up the powder extinguishing agent in them - all that road vibration tends to compact the powder into the base, rendering it practically useless. You should be able to feel the weight shift when you tip it if the powder is loose. Hope this helps! ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #7

Hand fire extinguishers are not designed to put out a large fire, they are designed to knock it down enough to escape.
I buy a package of 3 from Mac The Fire Guy. These are water-based foam units designed to smother a small fire and suppress a larger fire long enough to escape.
A 10x50 mobile home can go from a small smoldering fire to fully-engulfed in 4-8 minutes, an RV is much smaller. Don't try to stay and put out a fire, GET OUT immediately. Anything purchased with money can be replaced with money, human lives cannot be replaced-period.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:17 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Real good advice here, often overlooked.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:09 AM   #9
WDW

I like the small foam units as backups, but I've yet to find a mounting bracket.

Also here in NE you must be mindful of freezing level storage and remove them.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:19 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
I like the small foam units as backups, but I've yet to find a mounting bracket.

Also here in NE you must be mindful of freezing level storage and remove them.
I used a bicycle water bottle holder screwed into the wall.
doublehooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:10 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Those small units won't put out much of a fire! A grease fire is about all they're good for! I would spend another $20 and get a large one that is rechargeable!
I think I'll return the small one for a slightly larger rechargeable one. I may also rethink location and keep the larger of the two in the bedroom. Also thinking of adding a second smoke detector.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:03 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Google the "Elide Fire Call" and see if this is a better alternative for you. I plan on buying a couple of these. One for home and one for the rig.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:29 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I went with the Amerex B402. $38.88 delivered. I believe it was 3A, 40BC and came with the holding bracket. Thanks all for your input, greatly appreciated!

Old 04-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I went with Mac, 5# for the entry, and two of the small units bedroom, and kitchen. Plus two fire alarms and Co2 detector. All I want is to get out, if I can kill the fire OK but I'm out.

LEN

Tags
fire