Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2016, 01:13 PM   #1

Upgrade questions

Two questions for the group.
1.) I want to add a "traditional" dial thermostat to my dometic refrigerator instead of the factory slide adjuster.

2.) Our AC cover is black, to me this seems somewhat counter intuitive. I would think a white cover would make it more efficient. Is there a reason they use black, or should I swap it out for a white one?
Thanks everyone!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2016, 01:31 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had to change my black vent cover as the original fell apart, and all I could buy was white. Since then, the Norcold is a little colder...

krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:18 PM   #3

Maybe black to be "styling"...

Paint it white and look for a uv blocking paint.

Check the model number of your ac then locate a manual.

Some have basic switch type controls where others have electronic controls that are matched to the ac.

If in doubt contact ac manufacturer after you get the full model nunber.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:04 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Black maybe because it's inherently better at UV protection!?!?
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:47 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I doubt if the shroud color has much to do with a/c performance, which depends pretty much entirely on the flow of air through the heat exchanger coils (fins). As long as the exterior fan is sucking air through, the shroud color probably makes little, if any, difference.

Before changing the fridge temp control, you need to understand how the present one works. The slider is not the entire thermostat - the "thermister" is sensing the actual temperature. The slider is either directly biasing the thermister reading (changing the resistance in the circuit) or separately giving the fridge controller input on the desired temp so it can do the "bias" itself. Read the Service Manual for your model Dometic to see how it works (you may have to deduce that from the circuit diagram if not explained in detail). Frankly, I don't see why you would bother, but whatever rows your boat...
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:28 AM   #6

call me stylin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I doubt if the shroud color has much to do with a/c performance, which depends pretty much entirely on the flow of air through the heat exchanger coils (fins). As long as the exterior fan is sucking air through, the shroud color probably makes little, if any, difference.

Before changing the fridge temp control, you need to understand how the present one works. The slider is not the entire thermostat - the "thermister" is sensing the actual temperature. The slider is either directly biasing the thermister reading (changing the resistance in the circuit) or separately giving the fridge controller input on the desired temp so it can do the "bias" itself. Read the Service Manual for your model Dometic to see how it works (you may have to deduce that from the circuit diagram if not explained in detail). Frankly, I don't see why you would bother, but whatever rows your boat...
X2 on the refer. "temperature controller".
Might be able to tweak the thermistor placement slightly?

I also agree with the A/C cover assessment.
We noticed a choice on the latest coach's build sheet. Although, I was overruled by the DW who is, well ... yeah, even though "stylin" is not my middle name.
I had to replace one of those covers on the last coach, darn things were $85 ea. plus shipping, either color. I'd have to see a big efficiency boost.

Happy motoring.
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:55 AM   #7

Thermistor .......it senses the FIN temp which is then used by the thermostat to control cooling cycle. (FIN temp is 10*F colder than food compartment temp)

If you have an adjustable temp setting on upper panel then thermistor S/B clipped to far right fin and mid position

BUT if you do NOT have any adjustments (auto temp control) you can make minor temp changes by repositioning the thermistor (4*F - 6*F Overall change)
Still S/B on far right fin but if you move it: slide the clip
UP----cooler temp in food compartment
DOWN----Less cooler temp in food compartment

Dometic used the 'Auto Temp Control' on some models
Old 07-04-2016, 06:58 AM   #8

I've been reading abut this kit and most of the reviews a good.
Dometic Thermistor Repair Kit

Old 07-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #9
IC2

I agree with the OP about the a/c cover being black. I pulled ours off and painted it a nice white with rattle can Krylon for plastic. The new second a/c was ordered with a white shroud. All 4 of the tank vents were black - and when 2 came up broken while pulling the cover off, white replacements were installed on all four. While it probably doesn't make much of a real difference, it does in my mind What I can't easily change are the 4 slides ends which are .... black and they do absorb lots of heat, hence the second a/c. Dumb of Keystone for that design and, unfortunately, even dumber of us for not seeing that error in 'style'.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #10

I must have the same rv as the OP... Why would you put a black cover on a AC ??? And the slider thing in the fridge... hmmm... Good answers here ....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:29 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The very small difference in heat load due to the black is negligible. If the A/Cs are relatively new and the covers are in good shape, get some white Krylon paint for plastics and repaint the covers. It will last for a few years and be much less expensive than new covers.

Ken

Tags
upgrade