Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #29

The stock aluminum wheels on my Keystone are Jansien (or Jansen?)and have deep narrow recessed area for valve stem. So need to settle for the high pressure pop-in rubber ones.

Balancing . . . I walked down the street to eat lunch, and returned just as the eldest tire technician in a gang of a dozen workers was tightening up last of the lug nuts. I had asked a few questions before I left, and was feeling like he had a wealth of knowledge and experience, and was lucky to have drawn him.

I noticed there were no visible weights, and asked if Trailer tires were balanced like car tires? He said, "hmmm, the answer to your question is yes, trailer and car tires are balanced the same, but trailer tires don't get balanced. They ain't gonna ride any better, balanced or not. They are gonna ride like they ride."

I was surprised at this. I figured they would at least ride and wear more smoothly!

Does anybody have their trailer tires balanced?
Modersical is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2017, 12:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modersical View Post
The stock aluminum wheels on my Keystone are Jansien (or Jansen?)and have deep narrow recessed area for valve stem. So need to settle for the high pressure pop-in rubber ones.

Balancing . . . I walked down the street to eat lunch, and returned just as the eldest tire technician in a gang of a dozen workers was tightening up last of the lug nuts. I had asked a few questions before I left, and was feeling like he had a wealth of knowledge and experience, and was lucky to have drawn him.

I noticed there were no visible weights, and asked if Trailer tires were balanced like car tires? He said, "hmmm, the answer to your question is yes, trailer and car tires are balanced the same, but trailer tires don't get balanced. They ain't gonna ride any better, balanced or not. They are gonna ride like they ride."

I was surprised at this. I figured they would at least ride and wear more smoothly!

Does anybody have their trailer tires balanced?
Yes,,, I made sure our tires/wheels were balanced... (The new Maxxis tires that replaced the china bombs on our 2016 Keystone rv) They used (by my request) the stick on weights that go on the inside of the wheel, since they are nice looking alloy wheels... From the factory, no, they were not balanced. In my world, its a fact everything wears better when it is balanced... Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #31

I might add we also had the high pressure rubber/metal valve stems installed at the same time, going from D tires to E rated tires...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:58 PM   #32
IC2

Yes, they need to be balanced!!! My installer said the same. I insisted, especially since it was part of the cost of installing the new tires. One of the tires was so far out he needed to break it down and reposition it on the wheel to get it within reason. It has 3-4 ounces of hidden stick on weights while the others are 1-2. As far as the TPMS, tires were balance with them installed and 15K on those tires later, still doing just fine on the HP stems.

Good luck with the new tires. I'm trying to keep an open mind even though they have so little tread depth and my bias against Goodyear tires
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:57 PM   #33

Well, what is done is done, and not done, and I am down the road now. My last two sets of tires on my Goldwing, including car tire on the rear, I used Bumper to Bumper tire sealer fluid to balance tires. Similar product as green slime, but white with a particulant in it. Some folks use Dyna Beads for balancing, but I have gotten excellent, smooth results from the sealant fluids at speeds too fast for prudent people. Sooo, what do you think of that?
Modersical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:04 PM   #34

I've had balanced and not on several trailers. I can't tell the difference. Never felt the need to add any fluid or beads.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:44 AM   #35

I did't have them balanced on my previous TT, but we put so many miles on the fiver, that I have them balanced. Can I tell whether they are balanced or not? Who knows, but with all the stick on weights used, I feel I did the right thing. I think I put 3-5000 miles the first year on the Tow Max before replacing with the Maxxis M8008 and I put over 20,000 on them before a center bulge developed after heat damage from a failed bearing.
I use the high pressure rubber valve stems with my TPMS sensors and they have been doing fine.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, upgrade