RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2019, 09:36 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Upholstery Materials

We have to have the seats in our 2015 Fleetwood Discovery reupholstered and I'm researching materials. So far I gather that Ultraleather is a loose term. There is Ultraleather™, but there seem to be quite a few “Ultraleathers” without the trade mark, and at least some have not held up in sevice. I hear of vinyl and expanded vinyl as well, but don't know what the difference is. The material supplied with our coach was demonstably poor quality while the seats themselves are excellent.
Can any of you fine folks share your experience in reupholstering and in particularl identify a faux leather brand or manufacturer that worked for you, or one to avoid? I will, in turn, follow this post with another detailing our experience when complete. TIA

George Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2019, 09:46 PM   #2

We talked with an upholstery shop that helped us decide on a quality product. The terms used in advertising are deceiving. He recommended a good quality vinyl. Thats what is used in vintage cars that are very expensive. The vinyl can be repaired and holds up. Our so called ultraleather peeled after only 2 years and it wasnt in the sun.

Tgroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:54 PM   #3
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Ultraleather is, as you have noted, a trade-marked product produced by UltraFabrics, Inc. It is a polyurethane-coated upholstery fabric of which there are numerous lower-priced competitors. Unfortunately, RV salesmen (and even manufacturers) play fast-and-loose with the facts and tend to call any urethane-coated fabric "ultraleather."

From personal experience, I can say that some of the competing products are pure junk. But they are a lot cheaper which is why they are used.

It's my understanding that RV manufacturers develop "price points" for subsystems, such as upholstered furniture, and vendors bid to meet those price points. As a result, top-grade materials are sometimes sacrificed for "look-alikes."
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:45 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our 15 Discovery's upholstery is cracked/flacking in many places especially higher use areas. Temporarily we are covering up these areas with good tapestry fabric. I dont want recliners for many reasons. We use the sofas hide a bed, and the dog can sit with us.
Eventually......
Old 12-08-2019, 06:20 AM   #5

Hello,

I had my ultra leather Reupholstered eight months ago with “ lavish leather”. Great material, easy clean up and durable. Fabric shop in Atlanta is called Erickson’s. Request samples.
Atlantaemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:52 AM   #6

When we had our Marine Canvas business, we often used Nautolex Marine Vinyl for exterior upholstery and seat covers. I have seen some of them last for over 10 years in the Florida Sun and they still look great.
If you are getting something reupholstered, there is no sense in using cheap fabric since the labor would be the same and will be the most expensive part of the project.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:07 AM   #7

Look up The Wyzenbeek Test. When we redo our upholstery, we will most likely go with United Fabrics. They have a leather blended cover exceeding 300,000 double rubs. As docj said, watch out for the cheap junk.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:25 AM   #8

I used to do upholstery on the side. I agree that a marine vinyl would be your best bet. IF your upholsterer will let you supply the fabric (they make money on sales) then check this out:

https://fabricdirect.com/acatalog/ma...ade-vinyl.html

This site sells the vinyl in a larger volume and you might not need this much, but it gives you an idea. You can probably find cut lengths in smaller yardages so look around.

If the seats are comfortable and you like them then it is more than worthwhile to re-upholster them. Good luck.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #9

be careful with vinyl's. back in my class A days our M/H had nice vinyl seats BUT they tend to sweat and after several hours they weren't very comfortable. I had my boat redone in marine vinyl and it was ok for a boat, but not in a M/H were your going to maybe spend several hours in the seat. be careful here marine vinyl's are heavy duty for marine use, thus they feel heavy duty. try and stick with the imitation leather. I really like the perforated center panels. the ultimate is to have air conditioning in the seat that blows cool air through the perforations. we have a new Toyota Highlander with the cooled seats its awesome.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
We have 18 years experience with our 25 year old trademarked "milkweed" Ultraleather.

We would use it again, if needed, even though it is very pricey.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Heartfelt thanks to all who shared their experience on this. What a great resource this group is. We have some samples on the way and I'll report back when we've got the job done.

George Brown is offline   Reply With Quote