Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Ronjhall,

It called Global Change......meaning that it could be getting warmer as Al Gore would have you believe or it could be getting colder as most of the USA population would claim this year.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
DirectTV is negotiating with The Weather Channel and there is a chance DirectTV will no longer carry The Weather Channel.

DirectTV has launched an alternate weather channel on 361. As I told the rep on the phone, I can get weather from many sources, THAT is not the problem. We regularly watch many of the reality shows, Goldminers, etc, and they are not on anywhere else.

I told her that if DirectTV drops The Weather Channel we will immediately cancel our service and go to Dish or the local TV cable. If enough people will call in or go on-line and tell them that, they will do whatever is necessary to continue the service!

PLEASE call 1-800-DirectTV. You will first hear a recording that says they are still negotiating with The Weather Channel. At the end of that recording you will hear their main menu. When it asks the purpose of your call say "cancel service". You will then get an attendant.

You can also go on-line at DirectTV.com and register your comments there.

If you feel the same way I do about this, PLEASE do it NOW! Thanks!
Sorry I don't have DirecTV or I would call them, Joe. I hope they get this sorted out, but I seriously don't believe they will drop the Weather Channel. Seems like this sort of bruhaha happens every few months with one provider or another and some network.

There are a few forums dedicated to satellite TV on the internet; you might check on those to see if there is some sort of public outcry that you'd like to join.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #17

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Ever since NBC bought TWC it has gone downhill, IMHO. Now most of the programming has nothing even to do with weather; the last thing TV needs are more reality shows.

I get my weather from WeatherUnderground. Real data without "talking heads" chatting about it or video of Jim Cantore standing in a snowstorm/flood/hurricane.

But, I expect, at the 11th hour DTV will reach agreement with TWC, anyway.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:36 PM   #18

iRV2 No Limits Club
As always, everyone has a different opinion. When I tune to a weather channel, I want weather, not the other programs. Same with the news channel, give me news, and news only.

I just watched about 15 minutes of the Direct TV Weather channel. (361)

I like it better! To each his own.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #19

I have direct tv and I hope the weather channel is a goner. It never fails when we have a severe weather system approaching, they are playing some reality program or a movie. Good Riddance!
Old 01-13-2014, 08:55 AM   #20

Urgent? Really? If you lost the programing, after a few weeks you would probably find that life still goes on. Priorities!

Ed
Old 01-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
Urgent? Really? If you lost the programing, after a few weeks you would probably find that life still goes on. Priorities!

Ed

Yeah Ed, you're right. Maybe URGENT is a little strong! But I sure enjoy the reality shows on TWC!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
Old 01-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
As Hillary said "What's The Difference?"

There may be more important things to worry about!
Old 01-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
They won't drop them. Standard negotiating tactics. Same situation when dish was going to drop A&E. They didn't dare, too profitable for them. I wouldn't worry a bit.

WRONG!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
Old 01-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Ronjhall,

It called Global Change......meaning that it could be getting warmer as Al Gore would have you believe or it could be getting colder as most of the USA population would claim this year.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
As an Environmental Science teacher I used a simple illustration when students would voice your opinion. Global warming or climate change are poorly worded titles for a concept that is really quite simple: Humans have influenced the planet's climate by releasing more 'greenhouse' gases. These gases cause the sun's energy to be absorbed at a higher rate than in the past when the atmosphere better reflected them. (stay with me...) ENERGY is usually heat or motion, in this case MEANS HEAT, but I'll use motion to illustrate it: Picture a long aquarium tank half filled with water. Start the water oscillating back and forth, creating waves. Notice the water level goes up and down. That water level change is like temperatures, going UP and DOWN. Put more energy into your paddle and make the water move more energetically. The waves and troughs (temperatures) get more extreme, the waves start splashing against the ends of the tank. This is equivalent to tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards; extreme weather.

Davis Suzuki is a famous scientist and has an interesting take on folks that deny problems we know will be an issue down the road:

David Suzuki speaks about overpopulation - YouTube

What time is it for climate change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
(Originally Posted by mojoracing: They won't drop them. Standard negotiating tactics.)WRONG!

Joe, you might remind DirectTV what happened when Time-Warner dropped CBS channels: Time Warner Cable loses 306,000 subscribers, cites fight with CBS - latimes.com
They lost 300,000 subscribers. It is a negotiation tactic, but a failed one with all the alternatives out there.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 01-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #25
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As an Environmental Science teacher you have an interest in fulfilling this vision. If I were you I would not get involved in this argument on this forum.

Take it elsewhere.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Old 01-14-2014, 11:24 AM   #26
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are straying way off topic here. Lets get back on , please.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 01-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

How did this thread go off onto weather? It's all about tv programming and money!

I'm siding with Direct on this - every big-name channel is holding them up for more money at each renewal. And that means even higher subscription fees for ever-more mediocre content. They can leave Weather Channel in the dirt as far as I'm concerned - time to get some reality in the price as well than on the broadcasts.

Sorry if somebody loses one of their favorite shows, but that is hardly reason for me to wage a write-in campaign.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Old 01-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Given a choice, and it sounds like were going to have one, I'd rather have IFC than a particular weather channel

Dick

Closed Thread