Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2016, 09:18 PM   #1

Urgent...Should I avoid buying this DP rv?

I just got the lab test results on the coolant fluid testing of 04 Country Coach Inspire I'm about to purchase.
It stated there is a solder corrosion problem in the radiator that is at severe level which may restrict coolant flow & plug the system. The nitrate level is low due to precipitation from over treatment with inhibitor, air leak or over extending service or mixing coolant formulas. The fluid sample was cloudy & may indicate fine particulate is present due to emulsified oil, glycol degradation, slight inhibitor dropout &/or hose degrading.

Am I looking at major issue & repair here? Is this a huge headache that I should just walk away from?
This would be my first rv.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Abe
krtemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2016, 09:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
few questions first, dealer or private sale? Do you have access to repair history? Did all fluids get tested? Oil? Tranny? Genny fluids?

Right now you have a potential rad replacement IMHO. Definitely clean & flush at min, but I would most likely plan on replace.

If private sell, I'd ask if there were any issues without sharing the report info. Right now it looks like they are trying to hide an issue, or there was one and the repair was questionable. Like a leak and tried to cover with stop leak cr#p.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:01 PM   #3

Get price of new radiator,fluids for it and labor costs to put it in. With that price in hand deduct total buy of that estimate. It's that or have seller get the new rad and fluids in. If you find other fluid counts not up to par, nix the deal and move on.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:20 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I would be concerned about engine condition if the coolant was not maintained to sped.

I had my radiator changed last year due to road debris damage. Side radiator. The initial quote was $7900 which included a complete flush, new water pump, thermostat, and coolant. If you move forward with this you can use this as a negotiating point.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:25 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I see this as more of a negotiating point rather than a sign to run away fast. Find out how much it will cost to replace the radiator and go from there.
As mentioned above, if you haven't already get an oil analysis also for another look 'inside' the engine. THAT may tell you to run away.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:49 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by krtemn View Post
I just got the lab test results on the coolant fluid testing of 04 Country Coach Inspire I'm about to purchase.......

How does this compare to other 12-13 year old coaches. This is the problem. We all say "get" inspections but in some cases we have no idea what "normal" is.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:11 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
For my money, I'd look elsewhere.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:15 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One job the coolant treatment does is prevent cavitation.
This is tiny bubbles that are created by the firing of each cylinder.
These bubbles cause liner pitting and an eventual liner leak (big repair bill).

If you get the oil tested, they can tell if there is coolant in the oil.
But even if there is none, you still have to question if there was any liner pitting.

You are gambling on how long the coolant has been bad and how much damage, if any was caused.

Diesel repair is NOT CHEAP....

Very good to have the fluids tested....now you have some real facts.

Regards,

Dan
Old 10-28-2016, 08:16 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Neglecting the coolant in a diesel engine with wet cylinder sleeves can lead to serious engine problems. I'd be hesitant to consider a coach with that issue unless it had the 5.9 ISB engine. Even then, it'd have to be a real good deal to take the risk.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:35 AM   #10

update

The mechanic that pulled the fluid samples was sloppy in the labeling of the samples. I spoke with the president of JG Lubricant labs this morning. Apparently the coolant sample that had the bad test results was from the Onan generator & NOT the Cummins engine. He recommended that the coolants in both the engine & generator get changed but didn't think the test results indicated an issue with the radiator. I had the rv inspected by a certified & recommended diesel mechanic & had ALL the fluids tested by JG labs (engine& generator (oil & coolant) & the transmission fluid).
All the other fluids came back without any red flags. The bad fluid sample is ONLY from the generator coolant.

In light of the new information we have, do you still think the radiator needs to be replaced imminently or just changing the coolants will suffice?
How much should it cost to change the coolants (with flushing done as well)?

Abe
krtemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:44 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
The mechanic that pulled the fluid samples was sloppy in the labeling of the samples. I spoke with the president of JG Lubricant labs this morning. Apparently the coolant sample that had the bad test results was from the Onan generator & NOT the Cummins engine. He recommended that the coolants in both the engine & generator get changed but didn't think the test results indicated an issue with the radiator. I had the rv inspected by a certified & recommended diesel mechanic & had ALL the fluids tested by JG labs (engine& generator (oil & coolant) & the transmission fluid).
All the other fluids came back without any red flags. The bad fluid sample is ONLY from the generator coolant.

In light of the new information we have, do you still think the radiator needs to be replaced imminently or just changing the coolants will suffice?
How much should it cost to change the coolants (with flushing done as well)?

Abe
If the sale price is right I would buy it and take it to a Onan dealer, with lab results, and have them do a complete fluid change and service. Those gennies seldom get over worked and out last the MH. JMHO
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
One job the coolant treatment does is prevent cavitation.
This is tiny bubbles that are created by the firing of each cylinder.
These bubbles cause liner pitting and an eventual liner leak (big repair bill).

If you get the oil tested, they can tell if there is coolant in the oil.
But even if there is none, you still have to question if there was any liner pitting.

You are gambling on how long the coolant has been bad and how much damage, if any was caused.

Diesel repair is NOT CHEAP....

Very good to have the fluids tested....now you have some real facts.

Regards,

Dan
I did my due diligence on the Magna, oil report showed slightly high iron. Cummins said it was due to the engine not being run enough and rust forming inside. 2,400 miles later the engine dropped a valve in #6. $33,000 repair bill but Cummins did pay $10,400 of it. But it still wiped out my IRA and more.

Picture of a liner eaten completely through by cavitation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	liner.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	142879  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:15 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The only way I would buy it is for the seller to replace the radiator!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:37 AM   #14

Quote:
I just got the lab test results on the coolant fluid testing of 04 Country Coach Inspire I'm about to purchase.
It stated there is a solder corrosion problem in the radiator that is at severe level which may restrict coolant flow & plug the system. The nitrate level is low due to precipitation from over treatment with inhibitor, air leak or over extending service or mixing coolant formulas. The fluid sample was cloudy & may indicate fine particulate is present due to emulsified oil, glycol degradation, slight inhibitor dropout &/or hose degrading.

Am I looking at major issue & repair here? Is this a huge headache that I should just walk away from?
This would be my first rv.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Abe
krtemn
There are hundreds, (maybe thousands?), of "good" DP coaches For Sale in this country...why are you even thinking about buying one with a known problem?
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote