Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
For decades we traveled several times a year to Canada both tent camping and adult weekend getaways. After a time, we chose to not bother with the border hassle any longer, the USA has plenty for us to enjoy. I might add, the US customs were generally not as user friendly as the Canadians.

Maybe we just got lucky, but this was our first time crossing in the MH. Us to Canada was fast, easy, agent was friendly and sent us on our way without hassle. Just crossed back at Sumas yesterday. Same for the US side. Only about 10 minutes, no hassle. Glad we mad the trip. Banff is like nothing I have seen here in the US.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2018, 08:27 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
That doesn’t seem to apply coming in to the U.S. The government lets them in hoping to get a vote and the citizens pay the price.

This seems an unnecessary politicization of this topic.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Like I said, it'll take me a week to pack the RV and basement. If they are not responsible for putting things back the way they found it, I'm going to be there for days. In addition, if they were ever to start unpacking the chest freezers full of fish, they (or I) never will get all that fish back into those freezers. We vacuum pack fish in meal sized pieces and freeze them in the freezer packed tightly together. Easy to take out individual pieces, but impossible to repack frozen. Like trying to do a 10,000 piece jigsaw puzzle blindfolded.
I'm not trying to avoid an examination or to sidestep reasonable surveillance, but when in the AF I hit one customs examination where these guys ended up squeezing toothpaste tubes. We even had to call in other specially cleared commissioned officers to examine envelopes of SECRET documents we had to carry on some missions. Sometimes these guys go WAY over the top. I'm just trying to find out what the real rules are.
All that fish might be a problem. You are only allowed the limit for one day in your possession. If you have a freezer full, Im betting you are over the limit.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
All that fish might be a problem. You are only allowed the limit for one day in your possession. If you have a freezer full, Im betting you are over the limit.
Not true. I've been bringing down fish since 2006. Early on, I used to fill out a USFWS Form 3-177 Fish and Wildlife Declaration for Importation. It would be verified on the way out of Alaska by OUR customs and handed to Canadian customs with our passports and later to US customs upon re-entry to the US. The last 3 years I've been told by US customs it was not needed any more and have found that's the truth. Never a question by either Canadian customs entering at Beaver Creek, or US entering anywhere.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #131

If it was caught in Canada it would be a problem. There are limits for possession of fish. It is usually ones day catch limit. If you had more than one person with a licence, you could have one days limit per person. I dont know about catching fish in Alaska, and transporting it through Canada. They seem so fussy about everything else, you would think a whole freezer full of fish would spark their interest. Maybe not. If you are Canadian, you dont dare have a freezer full of fish. Game wardens have more power than the police here.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:51 AM   #132

Few years ago, we crossed the border at International Fall, Michigan and were unluckily tagged to be searched. We were asked to stand aside and they took everything out of the back of our truck, which was a lot. I was responsible for repacking.
MKwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:02 PM   #133

Traveling into Canada

If when traveling into Canada - Do Not ask for a stamp in your passport. Being a person who lived in Europe for a while traveling around countries it was automatic to get a stamp in your passport. Last year we crossed heading into Quebec. We asked for a stamp - it took over three hours for the one person to help us. No longer military - contractors.
Shiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #134

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiffy View Post
If when traveling into Canada - Do Not ask for a stamp in your passport. Being a person who lived in Europe for a while traveling around countries it was automatic to get a stamp in your passport. Last year we crossed heading into Quebec. We asked for a stamp - it took over three hours for the one person to help us. No longer military - contractors.
In Canada the border crossing is manned by Customs Agents. Stamps are done by Immigration Agents.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:51 AM   #135

The only time you need a passport stamp is if you were in the country on a work visa. The exit stamp proves you left the country before your visa expires. If you get audited and don't have the exit stamp, you could get huge fines for overstaying your work visa.
As a tourist, don't bother asking for a passport stamp unless you need bragging rights.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiffy View Post
When were they last military? 1812? Welcome to the computer age.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:11 AM   #137

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
The only time you need a passport stamp is if you were in the country on a work visa. The exit stamp proves you left the country before your visa expires. If you get audited and don't have the exit stamp, you could get huge fines for overstaying your work visa.
As a tourist, don't bother asking for a passport stamp unless you need bragging rights.
We encountered a particularly onerous agent crossing the border. Not sure what was biting his butt.

We crossed at a crossing that was not very busy. Got pulled in. Then the tactics started. Sitting on the bench we could see him working on his computer. Every once and a while he would stand up and stare at us for half a minute or so.

After a half hour he called us to the desk and claimed we had overstayed our time in the US. He had a stack of paper he kept referring to that he said proved we had been there too long.

Long story short I had been keeping meticulous track of our days. Found that the records he was referring to were incomplete. They had missed days we had left from the US as well as days I had been there. I keep copies of my Visa bills so was able to show charges on both sides of the border for the appropriate days. I am not sure what his intentions were but in essence I was able to prove his records were faulty.

He let us go with the rejoinder that we should be getting out passports stamped when crossing. The next time we crossed into Canada, Janet asked the border agent to stamp her passport. At that point he told her he was a Customs Agent and his stamp had very little meaning in a passport.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:01 PM   #138

I wonder what’s going to happen when the legalization of marijuana starts in Canada . Might be having more searches done as we cross into the US
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:38 AM   #139

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
I wonder what’s going to happen when the legalization of marijuana starts in Canada . Might be having more searches done as we cross into the US
Likely see the presence of dogs more often. We have no interest in drugs so no concerns on that part. I expect there may be longer lines at the crossing because of more inspections.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #140

Into and out of Ontario last week. Only issue was the Canadians made me pay $26 for my wine, which was over limit. He said they needed it to pay for their health care system.

The American guy gave my dog a treat.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote