Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
US drivers license wanted !!!!

I just came across this article today.

We would very much like to get a US drivers license - mainly because both our RV and tow car insurance is twice as expensive as everybody else's, because we are non-US resident with a European drivers license.

Just to make things clear - we are not illegal immigrants, and we very much hope that this thread will not encourage outbursts concerning this matter. This is a no-no on this forum and is not the purpose of our thread, so please don't do this. We come and go absolutely legally like our Canadian snow-bird friends. We don't seek work - we don't do crime (not even speeding ), and we leave as and when required by US immigration.

It would however be very convenient for us with a US drivers license, and it would also be possible for us to obtain an RV drivers license, which would be good.

Are there anyone of you who can provide useful FACTS on this subject? We would be the first in line to take a test and get a US drivers license, if just someone would let us, so please tell us what you know.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
It would however be very convenient for us with a US drivers license, and it would also be possible for us to obtain an RV drivers license, which would be good.
To begin with, you have to have an American address in the state which issues the licence.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thank you for your input

That I could easily solve. There are multiple companies that do mail forwarding, and some of them will give you a proper address - not just a mail box.

That would work.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Here is the information for the State of Texas. LINK to PDF

Hey, just show 'em your Texas Boomers membership card and you're home free!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
In Oregon they just passed a law that allows illegal immigrants to get a drivers license but they have to prove they have lived in the state for at least one year. So no you don't have to be a citizen but yes you do have to prove residency. Of course once you prove residency they expect you to pay taxes. I suspect your insurance although high is the cheaper route.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Here is the information for the State of Texas. LINK to PDF

Hey, just show 'em your Texas Boomers membership card and you're home free!

Rusty
Thanks Rusty

Unfortunately, not even the hospitable State of Texas will allow us this privilege - and non even when playing the Texas Boomers card.

Hal Miller to the trouble of going to the office that issues Texas drivers licenses, and they confirmed that this was a "no-go". Mind you - this was before these new motions seems to be passed, and we was hoping that this would enable us to apply. If not in Texas - then some other state.

All the best

Old 07-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Henrik,

I'm really puzzled as the pdf I linked seems to indicate that a mechanism exists to issue a license to a temporary alien through the period of his/her visa expiration date.. I wonder if this is a case of that particular DPS individual not being familiar with this DPS document??

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Henrik,

I'm really puzzled as the pdf I linked seems to indicate that a mechanism exists to issue a license to a temporary alien through the period of his/her visa expiration date.. I wonder if this is a case of that particular DPS individual not being familiar with this DPS document??

Rusty
Rusty - I have to agree with you.

We fall into the category listed as the last on your PDF enclosure:
WT* Visitor for pleasure (tourist in visa waiver program). This is exactly how we enter the US every time.

I December this year, we hope to spend some time with the Miller's just outside Austin, and maybe Hal and I should print out the sheet you have provided and go and see the Driving License people together.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a link to Homeland Security that explains the laws that the States NOW have to follow.
New Federal Requirements for Issuing Drivers' Licenses and Identification Cards

Note the part that says:
Minimum Document Requirements
To meet the law's requirements a state must include, at a minimum, the following information and features on any driver's license or ID card it issues:
1. the person's full legal name, date of birth, and gender;
2. the person's driver's license or identification card number;
3. his digital photograph;
4. his primary residence address;
5. his signature;
6. physical security features designed to prevent tampering, counterfeiting, or duplicating of the document for fraudulent purposes; and
7. a common machine-readable technology, with defined minimum data elements.

To renew our operators license I have to present 2 items that prove where I live; under the NEW regulations. Water bill and electric bill works as well as property tax info.

I believe this will also be a problem for full-timers.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldme View Post
Here is a link to Homeland Security that explains the laws that the States NOW have to follow.
New Federal Requirements for Issuing Drivers' Licenses and Identification Cards

Note the part that says:
Minimum Document Requirements
To meet the law's requirements a state must include, at a minimum, the following information and features on any driver's license or ID card it issues:
1. the person's full legal name, date of birth, and gender;
2. the person's driver's license or identification card number;
3. his digital photograph;
4. his primary residence address;
5. his signature;
6. physical security features designed to prevent tampering, counterfeiting, or duplicating of the document for fraudulent purposes; and
7. a common machine-readable technology, with defined minimum data elements.
To renew our operators license I have to present 2 items that prove where I live; under the NEW regulations. Water bill and electric bill works as well as property tax info.
I believe this will also be a problem for full-timers.
We became full timers last year. We declared domicile in South Dakota. That required us to stay overnight in the state, and take the hotel or campground receipt to the drivers license office along with our previous state's drivers license (which had to be valid), a second picture ID such as a passport, and our Social Security cards. We had our SD licenses within 30 minutes. The bad news for the OP is that to obtain a US drivers license you have to have a US Social Security number.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What State do you spend the most time in, If none then pick from this list

Nevada
Texas
South Dakota
Flordia
I'm told Georgia may be added to the list soon but not yet.

Check out the taxes and registation fees cause I can tell you some parts of Nevada it's EXPENSIVE (Have not fully checked the others)

Then visit the Department of Motor Vehicles in that state.
They will tell you if you can do it. You will need a ":That state" license.

NOTE: Specifics (more than I've given) I can not give since I'm a Michigan person.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #12

I live in Alabama on a H1 visa. Just renewed my license yesterday.
Here, they require proof of residence, proof of insurance (now verified electronically), a social security number and a current valid immigration document (my visa renewal). They will only renew my license up to the expiry date of my current visa.
Neither my wife (H4 visa) nor my daughter (F1 student visa) have a social security number so they are required to go first to the SS Administration office and obtain a letter stating they cannot get a SSN and then take that to the DMV to get their license.
I hope to have a Green Card by this time next year (been here 10 years) but even then we will have to go through the same process.

Just don't come to Alabama to try to get a license
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
I live in Alabama on a H1 visa. Just renewed my license yesterday.
Here, they require proof of residence, proof of insurance (now verified electronically), a social security number and a current valid immigration document (my visa renewal). They will only renew my license up to the expiry date of my current visa.
Neither my wife (H4 visa) nor my daughter (F1 student visa) have a social security number so they are required to go first to the SS Administration office and obtain a letter stating they cannot get a SSN and then take that to the DMV to get their license.
I hope to have a Green Card by this time next year (been here 10 years) but even then we will have to go through the same process.

Just don't come to Alabama to try to get a license
That's interesting. When I first came to the States about 30 years ago I was on a "Non Immigrant Work Visa", an H1 I think. My wife was issued with a Social Security card overstamped "Not Valid For Employment" and she used that to get a drivers license.

I think the key message in all of this is that a Social Security number is required to get a US Drivers License in any state. And as soon as you have an SS number, Uncle Sam at the IRS starts taking an interest. When I was here on the work visa, all of my salary end expenses were paid in the UK but I still had to file a US tax return every year.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #14

Bruce, they both have an ITIN (Independent Taxpayer Identification Number). Same format as SSN but specifically states "Not to be used as a SSN".
It means they can pay taxes or, more accurately, I can claim them on my tax return.

chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote