Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2007, 04:52 AM   #15

Hi All and again, thanks for all your valued inputs....

I am not sure that renting will be suitable as I plan 2 yrs or so travelling America and Canada and then on to Europe. Probably away for 4 to 6yrs depending on routes and rush (no rush here tho) At the end of the trip - I will have the rv to sell, or change if I am not ready to give it up :-)) There are quiet a few mfrs' rv's shipped to the UK, including some of the larger ones Winne Tour and Vectra, so I am sure I can organise one that fits the tiny roads of home.... Thanks all x
Icey
Ice-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #16

Just thinking out loud...sales tax usually applies to citizens of the state. Out of staters are often exempt when it is a big purchase. But then they often have to pay the tax to the state they reside in.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:20 AM   #17
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
It depends on the states involved. If your state has a reciprocal agreement with the state you bought the rig in, no problem. If there is no such agreement, you may have to pay the tax in both states.

340 RK
DFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:30 PM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DFR:
It depends on the states involved. If your state has a reciprocal agreement with the state you bought the rig in, no problem. If there is no such agreement, you may have to pay the tax in both states. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Icey is from England. I don't think any states have a reciprocal agreement with England.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:42 PM   #19

This would only apply in New York State. If you were to register RV in NYS you would NOTneed a residency address in NYS. Don't know about the sales tax.

You would be best to find one of the states that does not have sales tax, but those states usually have some type of personal property tax or higher vehicle registeration rate.
Pat
Old 12-13-2007, 04:30 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> If you were to register RV in NYS you would need a residency address in NYS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having moved from Michigan to New York and subsequently registering all my vehicles including an RV here, I have become very familiar w/the NYS registration requirements. Actually, you don't necessarily need residency. Technically you need 6 points of identification as defined by New York State. It is easy if you have a NYS Driver's license as that counts as 4 points. However, you can provide other items such as a passport, tax statements (from any state), utility bills etc.

By the way, had a leased vehicle in Michigan which had to be transferred to NYS. NYS law doesn't allow for a traditional lease so a whole new contract was drawn up. Also, they made me pay incremental sales tax on the remainder of the lease. While I have grown to love this state, there are some odd regulatory/tax things that don't seem to make sense.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:23 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JavaJelly:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> If you were to register RV in NYS you would need a residency address in NYS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having moved from Michigan to New York and subsequently registering all my vehicles including an RV here, I have become very familiar w/the NYS registration requirements. Actually, you don't necessarily need residency. Technically you need 6 points of identification as defined by New York State. It is easy if you have a NYS Driver's license as that counts as 4 points. However, you can provide other items such as a passport, tax statements (from any state), utility bills etc.

By the way, had a leased vehicle in Michigan which had to be transferred to NYS. NYS law doesn't allow for a traditional lease so a whole new contract was drawn up. Also, they made me pay incremental sales tax on the remainder of the lease. While I have grown to love this state, there are some odd regulatory/tax things that don't seem to make sense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I stand corrected, Scott is correct. Was given bad info from my source at NYS DMV. I just talked to the head of the local DMV office (not to far from you Scott) and she states that they will put a London, England address on the title and registeration, provided one has the 6 points of ID.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:12 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
My wife will be happy to tell you that this is the first time I have been correct.

I did not mention that the rules in New York are so complext that answers differ from person to person as pamm noted. The heads of the DMVs seem to have the best and most consistent information.

Transferring that lease from Michigan took forever and I had direct interaction w/the head of the DMV office the whole way as the front line people had no idea nor did they care.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:33 PM   #23

Scott,
My dw can attest that training for a NYS DMV clerk lasts years.

Tell Mike B that I said hi.
Pat
Old 12-13-2007, 11:51 PM   #24

and there's me thinking I would just pop across the pond and buy me a little freedom in a nice rv Don't governments like to make things complicated (or is that another way of creating more jobs??)
But I will not be put off
Old 12-14-2007, 08:45 AM   #25

Icey,
We need to hook you up with these folks. They did it but shipped the RV to Europe for the tour.
Winnebago View tour of Europe.

There has to be a way to do this. Maybe if you contact one of the RV manufacturers directly. I don't think it's the governments complicating things, just difficult to understand on our parts.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:59 AM   #26

Hiya Parmm
I have just read my last comments and they sound quiet synicle, which was'nt really meant.. however, the trip Tom and his Partner took looks great so I will forward an e-mail to him after I have read through his entries... so thanks for the info
Old 12-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Yes, please come over and repatriate some of our increasingly worthless U.S. dollars!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:39 PM   #28

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ice-Man:
Hiya Parmm
I have just read my last comments and they sound quiet synicle, which was'nt really meant.. however, the trip Tom and his Partner took looks great so I will forward an e-mail to him after I have read through his entries... so thanks for the info </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ice-Man,

Did you give LazyDays in Sefner, Florida a shout? When I was shopping for my rig I lost the bid on several that ended up being shipped to the UK. I was led to believe that they have staff that caters just to overseas sales and delivery. They seem like they would have the expertise to advise you in your endeavor.