Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2005, 06:51 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Be sure to use the grip handle when going in and out, especially if you have wet feet. My nephew's father in law had a horrible accident on Christmas Day. They were snowbirding (he retired almost 8 weeks ago) in the Carolina's (they actually have just started building a house there). He was going up his motor home stairs to go inside, and slipped. He fell backwards and hit his head on the cement patio. Unfortunately, the fall was fatal.
Please be aware and careful.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2005, 06:51 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Be sure to use the grip handle when going in and out, especially if you have wet feet. My nephew's father in law had a horrible accident on Christmas Day. They were snowbirding (he retired almost 8 weeks ago) in the Carolina's (they actually have just started building a house there). He was going up his motor home stairs to go inside, and slipped. He fell backwards and hit his head on the cement patio. Unfortunately, the fall was fatal.
Please be aware and careful.

Old 12-30-2005, 06:59 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Doris, we are so sorry to hear about the death. You just never know what will happen.

I do not see why RV manufacturers do not install a non-slip surface on the steps in the first place. We have added a non-slip covering to every RV we have owned.

Ken
Old 12-30-2005, 03:00 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
We'll be adding something to make ours non slip as well. This couple have been rving for a long time, usually spending summers outside of Warrensburg NY in a small campground. Being able to travel in the winter was new for them. It's a sad time for the family, for sure.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:03 AM   #5

Man!! what a freak accident. That would be hard to take. I feel sorry for the family.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Doris,

So sorry to hear about the accident. Our condolences to the family.

Thanks for taking the time to share the word of caution for the iRV2 members.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:23 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
That is terrible. As a side note to this be careful of those extra steps that you can use when the trailer steps are too far off the ground. I had one turn over with me and fractured 3 fingers when falling on a concrete patio while exiting the trailer.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 04:23 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
The wake was today up here. Since I posted this, I found out they left Myrtle Beach (and the building of their house) to visit in Pensacola, and the accident actually happened at a campground there. I know we have someone on this board who workcamped Dagget Lake north of Lake George. These people used to be seasonal there, so you might remember them. I can't remember who that was.

Very sad..could have been any of us, those stairs are so slippery.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:05 PM   #9

Its bad and also sad to hear of any accident where there is bodily injury. Sometimes these accidents happen the other way around, i.e., last year my uncle fell backwards on the front steps of their home. He was taken to the hospital with a broken hip. The doctor determined that he DID NOT fall and break his hip but rather his hip broke first causing him to fall. After a lengthy stay in the hospital and a hip replacement, today he is walking about in a normal way. The doctor said it is not uncommon for a hip to break with older people. Their hip bone can be in a condition they may not realize.

Rich

iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote