Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2011, 04:07 AM   #43

Soap in the tank

OK..............Here's the story............

My wife and I noticed that when we went over next door to sit outside and have coffee my neighbor had hundreds of flies around the site............

A month later I noticed the neighbor fooling around with his sewer connection and I went over there...........He said the drain in the shower was clogged so bad that he and his girlfriend had to use the campground showers the night before..........He fished a wire into the gray tank and came out with a bunch of white stuff which he said smelled like soap............He told his girlfriend that she had to stop using Ivory bar soap because the tank was all messed up.....

We figured out how to disconnect the tank and dropped it on the ground...We used a five inch circular saw on an electric drill to cut a hole on top of the tank...........He got one of those small garden shovels and took out at least 20 pounds of "SOAP".............He finished cleaning the tank and we put a patch made of lexan on top of the tank and re-installed it.....

I thought it was weird that soap could re-cake in the tank, but never gave it another thought........

When REDNECK EXPRESS posted a reply to my little story it rang a bell in my mind LOUD AND CLEAR.......

Last winter the neighbors called us over and said "Eddie just made BACON AND EGGS.............Come on over"..........

When I walked in the door, Eddie was in the middle of pouring the grease from TWO POUNDS of bacon down the kitchen sink drain........He was running the cold water and steam was all over the place.............He said that running the cold water cools the grease down so it doesn't stick to the pipes...........IN FACT, running cold water just made the bacon grease solidify in his gray water tank because it was nice and cool when it entered the tank !!

I never really got close enough to the stuff he was shoveling out of his tank............It was bacon grease and since I had told him at the time that he was crazy to dump grease into the kitchen sink, he told me he was sure it was SOAP....(He didn't want to admit that I was right about the grease).......(Plus the trailer belongs to his girlfriend and he didn't want to be in the dog house for pouring the grease down the drain to begin with)

Now that I look back on it.............The soap story didn't make sense at all.........All the flies around his site were going down the vent and eating BACON and laying their eggs in the tank so the baby flies had bacon to eat when they hatched............

End of Mystery............

John
johnboy545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #44

Yeah come to think of it why use special biodegradeable toilet paper when you are just going to dump it within days or months.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy545 View Post
OK..............Here's the story............

My wife and I noticed that when we went over next door to sit outside and have coffee my neighbor had hundreds of flies around the site............

A month later I noticed the neighbor fooling around with his sewer connection and I went over there...........He said the drain in the shower was clogged so bad that he and his girlfriend had to use the campground showers the night before..........He fished a wire into the gray tank and came out with a bunch of white stuff which he said smelled like soap............He told his girlfriend that she had to stop using Ivory bar soap because the tank was all messed up.....

We figured out how to disconnect the tank and dropped it on the ground...We used a five inch circular saw on an electric drill to cut a hole on top of the tank...........He got one of those small garden shovels and took out at least 20 pounds of "SOAP".............He finished cleaning the tank and we put a patch made of lexan on top of the tank and re-installed it.....

I thought it was weird that soap could re-cake in the tank, but never gave it another thought........

When REDNECK EXPRESS posted a reply to my little story it rang a bell in my mind LOUD AND CLEAR.......

Last winter the neighbors called us over and said "Eddie just made BACON AND EGGS.............Come on over"..........

When I walked in the door, Eddie was in the middle of pouring the grease from TWO POUNDS of bacon down the kitchen sink drain........He was running the cold water and steam was all over the place.............He said that running the cold water cools the grease down so it doesn't stick to the pipes...........IN FACT, running cold water just made the bacon grease solidify in his gray water tank because it was nice and cool when it entered the tank !!

I never really got close enough to the stuff he was shoveling out of his tank............It was bacon grease and since I had told him at the time that he was crazy to dump grease into the kitchen sink, he told me he was sure it was SOAP....(He didn't want to admit that I was right about the grease).......(Plus the trailer belongs to his girlfriend and he didn't want to be in the dog house for pouring the grease down the drain to begin with)

Now that I look back on it.............The soap story didn't make sense at all.........All the flies around his site were going down the vent and eating BACON and laying their eggs in the tank so the baby flies had bacon to eat when they hatched............

End of Mystery............

John

Quick proof, lay a pan of bacon or other cooking grease outside after it solidifies. Now lay a small pan with a cake of bar soap out. See where the flies go. I've never seen a fly eating a cake of soap.
Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #46

Even here with the stick house and the septic system you cannot dump any kind of grease or oil into the spetic system for exactly that reason it turns solid and takes for ever to decompose.

Cooking grease should never be dump down a drain...
Old 01-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I had to replace a septic system for a rental because of this. Clogged the leach field.. 6 months later when it again drained slow, my septic guy pulled a 4" x 18" plug of grease out of the pipe...

Even in the city it will eventually clog up your pipes... you pay one way or the other..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So, if I have been using bar soap for some time should I adjust the air pressure in my tires because of the buildup?
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
jimbo, its a joke and a waste of money.
JayGee yes the soap build up adds weight.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for clearing that up. I will either add air or quit using bar soap.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #51

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So...
If I've been using bacon grease all these years in the shower, should I change to bar soap?
Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #52

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
So...
If I've been using bacon grease all these years in the shower, should I change to bar soap?
Then how would the pigs know its time to come home?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #53

It is kind of interesting that someone uses maybe two bars of soap a year and when he drops the tank he removes twenty pounds of solids and blames the soap.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #54
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Not to change the subject, but when someone mentioned Scrubby Bubbles, my Son ordered new leather covers for his Ford Excursion and the leather man suggested to use Scubby Bubbles to clean the original leather covers. It works great. Try it yourself on a small piece. I couldn't believe it.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Scrubbing bubbles
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by a k View Post
Not to change the subject, but when someone mentioned Scrubby Bubbles, my Son ordered new leather covers for his Ford Excursion and the leather man suggested to use Scubby Bubbles to clean the original leather covers. It works great. Try it yourself on a small piece. I couldn't believe it.
Read the MSDS throughly and then re-evaluate your position. Scrubbing Bubbles contains bleach, which should never be used on leather-if you wish it to last.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote