Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
If they are using the turn signal 10 -15 feet before the actual turn, consider yourself lucky. Most drivers today are clueless behind the wheel since video games don't come with turn signals, and today's drivers learned all they know from Grand Theft Auto...
To answer your question though, as a retired police officer, I know turn signals must be used 100 feet before making the turn.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #16

My dad, an avid motorcyclist, gave me some of the best driving advice I've ever heard. He said to ride like you're invisible - like no one can see you.

I've found it works well for RVs, too.

Don't give them the chance to nail you.

GL Arnold

Old 10-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #17

Ah geez, and here all along I thought most people didn't use their turn signals because there was some kind of state tax based on how many times the light flashed... Oh well, as I am always telling the wife, wrong again!
Redman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #18

Smile Usage of turn signals

The correct answer is to ALWAYS drive defensively!
Old 10-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #19

Where you are has a direct influence on turn signal usage. Moving from the NYC-Jersey-Philly area where it was much easier to predict drivers intentions than in our little section of semi-rural Pennsylvania.

Here is the Lancaster County procedure for making a left turn. Place both passenger side tires on or toward the shoulder side of the fog line. Stop ten feet before the intersection and steer your wheels hard in the direction of oncoming traffic. Wait until there are no vehicles approaching before beginning to accelerate. Shove your right hand, palm upwards through the wheel and crank it over about 1/4 turn. THEN, apply turn signal. Answer cell phone. Slowly make a sweeping wide turn crossing both double yellow lines. Thereby insuring that only one car gets through per cycle.

That's not so bad. Here in Mexico, a slow moving vehicle with a left indicator flashing MAY mean that he expects to be passed. It could mean a left turn is imminent too. Can't really tell all the time.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #20
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
Wayne, I think you mis-stated the requirements. '300 yards before' is three football field. ?????? Even 300 feet wouldn't do much good.
Steve,

My bad. I was going by what some others had posted (Search on "300 yards"). Looking at the standard Texas Drivers Licens Manual it states 100 feet before turning or changing lanes.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I thought that after moving here to NC it was against the law to use turn signals but a requirement to be on the telephone when turning
Mike
Old 10-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #22
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
How many people do you get behind on a freeway entrance ramp that TRULY know how to merge into the freeway correctly? For me it's about one out of ten or twenty that know how to merge correctly. The rest have no clue at all or could care less to learn. It's all about THEM!
Dr4Film ----- Richard
Funny, the DW and I were just discussing this last week coming home from a trip. One of the problems I see is that traffic is moving so fast that it is difficult to gain enough speed to merge properly. Here in Minnesota the beltway speed is 70mph. The ramps are usually too short to get that kind of speed up, so folks just merge into faster traffic slowing everyone down.

I would lower the speeds on the beltway to 60mph. I think that would solve a lot of problems. Heck, with all that merging, the traffic is disrupted anyway and usually isn't moving along very well.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Here in Florida I think using your turn signal is a sign of weakness.. ...

Right on the money. Also, it is a dead give away what you are going to do, this automatically makes you a target for a blocking attempt. It is also used as a constantly flashing, fair warning from Blue Hairs and soon to be Silver Alerts that they are or maybe going to turn sometime.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
My personal favorite is when someone ahead of me hits their brakes and begins to slow down and I wonder "why are you stopping?" and then they begin to turn and at the same time turn on their signal. Why even bother?
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadrand View Post
My personal favorite is when someone ahead of me hits their brakes and begins to slow down and I wonder "why are you stopping?" and then they begin to turn and at the same time turn on their signal. Why even bother?
Some actually thing they have a limited supply of 'blinker fluid' and try to conserve because they have no idea where the fill neck is for it and are scared to ask.

"blinker fluid, a really good almost-real-sounding term to use with the intent of throwing off a ditz. Crystal: "My right blinker doesnt work."
James: "You're probably out of blinker fluid."
(later at auto zone)
Crystal: "I would like to buy some blinker fluid, please."
Clerk: "What the (heck)??""
Urban Dictionary: blinker fluid
chuckinthebus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
By now you should all know that using your turn signals is very hard to do when you are holding your lunch in one hand, your cell phone in the other, and steering with your knees all at the same time! Turn signals end up being the least necessary consideration.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Here in Florida I think using your turn signal is a sign of weakness.. The guys with their hats on backwards never use them... They also speed up if you use yours. No way you can give them 300 feet of warning you are going into their lane...
We are based out of the Treasure Coast of Fl and concur wholeheartedly. FL has the nations worst drivers. In fact I predict that when society starts to unravel it will begin with a road rage incident on I95 near the Glades interchange.
WineLuvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gallagher, aka: the watermelon smasher, had a good line in his routine a number of years ago.

He was suggesting suction cup arrows to shoot and stick on drivers cars that do "dumb A" things. When the police spotted a car with 3 arrows they automatically gave them a ticket.