Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
Useage of turn signals

This applies mostly to following automobiles and when they actually turn on their turnsignals. Is it just me or do most drivers have no idea when the turnsignal is supposed to be used when approaching a turn? I was always under the impression, and from remembering what I read in the Driver's training manual, the turn signal should be used approximately 100 feet before the turn. Not 10-15 feet and not turned on as the turn is being started. And it certainly does no good to turn it on after already accessing the turn lane.

Am I just enduring the bad drivers or do the rest of you notice this also? It really keeps you on guard whenever a car is ahead of you and wondering what they might or might not do, even with the appropriate following distance. No close calls yet but would really appreciate a driver using his turn signals a little head of the turns.

wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
They don't have a clue! I imagine that states have different laws, but if you re taking the driving test in Texas the will deduct points if you do not turn you turn signals on 300 yards before making the turn.

What I have found out is that some states don't require the manufacturer to even have turn signals. Well, at least that is how it appears.

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh I just love it when they signal for a left turn
and move over to the right side of the #1 lane to a complete stop before turning left
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Wayne, I think you mis-stated the requirements. '300 yards before' is three football field. ?????? Even 300 feet wouldn't do much good.
Steve & Jeri
2004 Dolphin 5342
2000 Jeep Cherokee 4X4
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #5

In some areas, if somebody has a turn signal constantly flashing, it was probably on when they bought the car.
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
What you are experiencing is the lack of having a well designed Driver Education class in the high schools like they had when I was going to school back in the late 50's early 60's.

Most people today are too busy either texting, talking or Facebooking on their personal communication devices for them to even pay attention to their driving or turns.

Just today I was following a lady in the curb lane because I knew I would need to make a right turn a few lights down the road. Once we are approaching that specific light and intersection she turns on her left signal and stops in the lane so she can move 5 lanes over to make a left turn. Yeah Right !!!

People are totally oblivious and really have no clue as to how to drive these days. They aren't taught and they are never corrected when they screw up. Plus I believe most of them don't really care about others around them. They only really care about themselves.

How many people do you get behind on a freeway entrance ramp that TRULY know how to merge into the freeway correctly? For me it's about one out of ten or twenty that know how to merge correctly. The rest have no clue at all or could care less to learn. It's all about THEM!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
Freightliner Owners Club
Here in Florida I think using your turn signal is a sign of weakness.. The guys with their hats on backwards never use them... They also speed up if you use yours. No way you can give them 300 feet of warning you are going into their lane...
Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have noticed a distinct lack of the use of of turn signals in recent years. My biggest pet peeve is when someone gets mad when they want to move into my lane WITHOUT USING TURN SIGNALS!! I mean, am I supposed to be psychic or something? Jeez....
I will almost always allow someone in the next lane to cut in if they use their turn signals. The rest can go pound sand for all I care.
Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Out here in LALA Land the assumption is made that you can read my mind so must know what I am going to do. Not only that but it is really tireing to pull/push that little lever. No, my mirror is adjusted so I can see my face, by the way what is that bright blue light on my dash board.

I know I am off my rocker to live in CA.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #10

On my "ranch truck" I have a bumper sticker that says:
I'm old I supposed to leave my turn blinkers on

I try not to do that but at least they are warned (LOL?)
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
As a driver education instructor, I can tell you that students are instructed to turn on their turn signal st least 100 feet prior to any turn or changing lanes. Unfortunately, people get lazy once they no longer are worried about passing a road test. It is the biggest complaint I hear from new drivers. People of all ages and experience are too distracted to remember the requirements of the law.
Pete Weeks
Pdapete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some places you don't want to use turn signals as it just gives the other drivers a heads-up of where you are going - making it easier for them to cut you off.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:40 AM   #13
Red face

Turn Signal misuse (or no use!) is one of my pet peeves, as is misuse of turn lanes! I have been nearly hit when trying to turn left in a turn lane (clearly marked) only to have the moron in the through lane with NO signal on suddenly turns across the turn lane into me! I guess the blind are allowed to drive now....?

I no longer trust any driver. Always be ready for them to do the wrong thing.
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:01 AM   #14
I consider use of my turn signal fair warning.....

Their turn signal, a courtesy?

1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote