Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #1

Used camper people step inside please

Ok, I've been reading how folks like sleeping in their own bed at night, crapping on their own throne etc. My question is, what did you do to that used mattress/sofa bed to get it up to your clean standards? Lots of talk about hotel rooms being bad but how do you know the "history" of the mattress in your camper? Maybe some kid peed on it every night. Or some crazy couple....well you know.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Put a foam topper pad on it and will replace it with a new mattress before we full time in 18 months.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #3

Same thing. Put a foam topper on it, put in a bed bag, bed cover and sheets.

Replaced the toilet in our first moho.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #4

Guess we were lucky,, no stains on either,, just a good thorough vacuming, (sp?) and clean sheets... Home away from home,,, and DW is a Clean Freak !!! We both have bad backs, the bed mattress in the coach is as good or better than at home. I might add the bed mattress is Not the original 1995... Seems fairly new. We bought from the second owner, who luckily only owned it a year.... The original owner took very good care of everything. Stains,,, and either would have been replaced !
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
One of the first things we did was toss the old stock mattress out the door. We went to the retailer who sold us our last bed at home a couple years ago. He ordered the mattress we wanted and saved us quite a bit over those we researched from RV sources. A couple days later his son delivered and installed our new "cloud 9". We had an easier time of cleaning and loading while the mattress was out. We also did a little remodeling back there while we were at it.
jmugsshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
we replaced our with a foam mattress from wally world about 250 ,we purchased our MH new but after a year it was worn out ,when we change out we also went from a short queen to regular size gained 6 in of floor space no much but when you are 30 feet every inch helps. we have a 1400 buck space foam???? in our stix house and no difference to me
brianj
Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInOne View Post
Ok, I've been reading how folks like sleeping in their own bed at night, crapping on their own throne etc. My question is, what did you do to that used mattress/sofa bed to get it up to your clean standards? Lots of talk about hotel rooms being bad but how do you know the "history" of the mattress in your camper? Maybe some kid peed on it every night. Or some crazy couple....well you know.
This is exactly why I don't like motels. If I had bought a used one I would have bought a new mattress and bleached the throne till it turned white.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #8

After all the diapers I've dealt with and will be dealing with, no crap scares me anymore.
And if anyone made a habit of wetting your RV bed, you wouldn't have to see it to know it's there....
Old 09-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #9

Fortunately the mattresses weren't smelly or stained in our used RVs of the past. The Class-C came with a mattress that looks new and is comfortable. Like everyone else I use a mattress pad etc. Had they had stains or odors we would have replaced them.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #10

These are some of the reasons we bought new. Had we purchased a used one, we would have replaced the mattress the toilet and bleached the refrigerator, sinks and fresh water system multiple times. Any furniture that wasn't leather would have been a used deal breaker for me and we would very likely have replaced the carpet. I'm just really hinky about dirt and germs that aren't my own. (we buy new houses, too. At least we're consistent)

ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote