Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #1

Used class A motorhome vs used class C

Hi me and my wife are newbies to the rv world.I am planning on retireing in the next 10 years or so my wife thinks we should purchase a used smaller class c unit. I am think buy a used class A now and the when we retire we won't have to buy a bigger r v later on .would like to know other's ppl opinions on this subject are .someone who is more experienced than we are t u for any in put would gladly be appricated.
kerrjon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Buy big now!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:30 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #4

If you want a good riding MH, go with the Cass C or a rear engine, diesel Class A.

Make sure you do an extensive test drive on your choice. You need to get it on the highway and feel comfortable cruising in it. Otherwise it becomes work to go anywhere.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #5

Definitely take your time with research on this. We started with a used class C two years ago and this spring traded on a new Class A. We're very happy with it, but could have saved a bunch of money by doing more research and "learning".
Old 10-13-2017, 05:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I retire in three years and we bought a very affordable Tioga 1996 class C. No regrets. As my retirement draws near I change my mind often on what my retirement plans will be. If I go with my dream DP I won't even be able to do everything I can do now in my class C. Knowing that all MH's are money pits MOL may cause me to rethink spending more than 100k on a used DP. Every year you own A MH you will lose 5%. Buy cheap now and use the extra money to make sure you're debt free.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #7

Drive as many different coaches and different styles of coaches as you can.

There is a pretty big difference between how they drive down the road, how they take winds from semi trucks or just cross winds and how they take bumpy irregular roads.

Many full time in a class c, b, a or a trailer thus anything will work

I think many are scared of the class A, they think it’s harder to drive due to the size and think the class C is easiest due to a van/truck front end. My experience is the opposite it true. There is less room in the drivers seat, it’s harder to see out and the road manners are worse in a class C.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #8

As I see it a lot depends on how you plan to use the coach, there is a strong school of thought on the online forums that bigger is always better. I say it depends on how you plan to use the coach. There are a lot of owners of smaller class B and class C coaches out there with no desire to buy a 45 ft diesel pusher.

The question is how do you want to use the coach, now and in the future. Will it be to travel and explore in, go to the local lake on the weekends, or to snow bird in for 4-5 months at a time in one fixed location?

Big coaches are great for moving from one base camp location to another base camp location every few weeks / months while pulling a car around as an exploration vehicle, but are less ideal for traveling from location to location every few days.

By contrast if you stay under about 30 ft (really if you can stay under about 25 ft), using a coach as a single all in one travel vehicle becomes a lot more viable, though with many compromises on living space, cargo capacity, etc.

From my personal perspective, being just under 50, semi retired, but with a wife that works full time, we opted for a small class A (28 ft Safari Trek really 29'3" bumper to bumper). In my first year of ownership I have spent about 50 nights in the coach, and driven about 6,500 miles, rarely spending over 2-3 nights in the same place. For this sort of travel, I would like to say my coach is ideal, however truth be told in an ideal world I would probably pick something smaller like maybe a Leisure Travel Vans Unity 24MB, though in reality my wife says she would not want anything smaller than what we have now, and wants luxuries like a large bathroom with a neo-angle shower, and a large kitchen with 6+ ft of countertop.

So again, the question is what is right for you, how will you use it, both now and in the future.
Ike
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:52 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What happened to the 31' Class C discussed here?
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/utah-...ml#post3783212

There is no perfect answer...each person must make the call for themselves.

Many folks full-time in Class C's. Might be a good option.

And Diesel Pushers are not the be-all/end-all RV for reasons ranging from initial cost, and maintenance costs, to size that doesn't fit in some campgrounds.

Plus, Towables are great...especially for those who stay in one location for longer times. A truck and trailer or 5er can offer everthing in a Class A for as much as 2/3 the price.

Finally, 10 years is a long time before making the leap into retirement plans.

Take your time searching for something you and your spouse like. Buy within your budget, and after a few years, you will learn things that you don't even know that you don't know.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #10

Start with your budget.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
As I see it a lot depends on how you plan to use the coach, there is a strong school of thought on the online forums that bigger is always better. I say it depends on how you plan to use the coach.

Big coaches are great for moving from one base camp location to another base camp location every few weeks / months while pulling a car around as an exploration vehicle, but are less ideal for traveling from location to location every few days.

By contrast if you stay under about 30 ft (really if you can stay under about 25 ft), using a coach as a single all in one travel vehicle becomes a lot more viable, though with many compromises on living space, cargo capacity, etc.

From my personal perspective, being just under 50, semi retired, but with a wife that works full time, we opted for a small class A (28 ft Safari Trek really 29'3" bumper to bumper). In my first year of ownership I have spent about 50 nights in the coach, and driven about 6,500 miles, rarely spending over 2-3 nights in the same place. For this sort of travel, I would like to say my coach is ideal, however truth be told in an ideal world I would probably pick something smaller like maybe a Leisure Travel Vans Unity 24MB, though in reality my wife says she would not want anything smaller than what we have now, and wants luxuries like a large bathroom with a neo-angle shower, and a large kitchen with 6+ ft of countertop.

So again, the question is what is right for you, how will you use it, both now and in the future.
Ike
Yes depends on how you use it.... That’s why I say drive as many as you can. I had zero issues driving my 38+ft gas RV moving every day or every few days on trips, made zero difference to me. Doesn’t really take any more time bring up levelers, pull slides in etc on a 25ft RV vs a 45ft RV.

I don’t feel bigger is better however I do feel the foundation is the most important part. Much rather have a solid chassis/frame on a overbuilt smaller RV then a huge behemoth on a weak flex’s chassis.... the same is true with a cheap chasss on a small coach can be more difficult/tiring then a solid well designed chassis on a larger coach.

Where and how your using it is a major consideration. Always amusing traveling out west and seeing 45ft DP’s pulling a class C.

Those big coaches can’t fit everywhere which was my biggest complaint with my last RV, and it was under 40ft + jeep. It was very difficult at times getting gas, most stations couldn’t fit my RV there either height and/or length (pulled a wrangler unlimited).

The issue some have with a single all in one vehicle is you have to pack up to go anywhere, limits you to where you can go and also what you can bring. Good and bad no matter how we travel. I like using my jeep so the RV stays put for a day or a few days... I can go wherever the jeep takes me

I will be going larger next time, and a DP
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:36 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Defining how you'll use it is the number one step. Experience helps with this, as what may or may not seem important, in reality, may or may not be important.

Looking through floor plans is nice, and walking through them is helpfull, but living in it for a weekend with three kids, or out in the dessert for a month, You'll be able to adapt and see how these use fits into your lifestyle.

Do the best you can to get a match, If your first one is your last one, I'd say you lucked out.

As mentioned, your budget will probably be a major factor in your decision.

We are on our 3rd motorhome. When we went shopping for it, we had a few years experience on how we used #1 and #2, and what we wanted specifically in our #3. After searching for about 6 months, we found exactly what we were looking for .
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:59 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
When we started looking we only knew we wanted a Class A. One of the salesmen we talked to said "buy your 3rd motorhome first". We thought we did when we blew through our budget and bought a Tiffin Allegro RED 33AA DP in November 2015. Ha! We traded it in on a bigger 2016 Phaeton 40AH less than a year later. I think a used DP is a good idea, and if you're not in a rush you can keep looking for a good deal. In the meantime, try and visit as many factories as you can to learn as much as possible about the way they're built. If you go to Elkhart, Indiana, you can hit Newmar and Entegra and others, and it's only a short 90 minute drive down to Decatur, Indiana to hit more. There are lots of youtube video on factories as well. Like the first reply said, "Go big or go home". Don't worry about learning to drive it, after 10,000 miles on the road you'll be zipping through gas stations like you're driving a smart car! Have fun!
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:13 AM   #14

In 10 years you will be in a different place for both time and finances. Whatever you buy now will be 10 years older with the associated deterioration. At that time you may well want a newer unit. I'd go with your wife's idea and get a used c. Go around 30 ft and you get room to get away from each other on a rainy day or stash stuff on a trip. You can learn the house systems so that moving up won't be a steep learning curve. In the meantime you can enjoy the MH with the time you have available.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, class c, motorhome