Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #1

Used RV Purchase

So, we're not current RV owners but are the process of figuring out which kind we want to get. We have two young children (3.5 and 1.5) and are considering a used Class C.

We are interested in hearing different tips on buying used RV's. Does it matter how old they are? What about mileage? I definitely plan to pay for a thorough inspection before purchasing...any recommendations on where to get that done in western WA state?
wescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In selecting an RV, new or used, you must estimate how often you plan to use it? That answer determines if it is worth while to rent or buy and the amount invested in the purchase. Keep in mind the added expense for registration, smog, insurance, storage, extended warrantee, maintenance i.e. tires, brakes, LOF, roof sealant.
Buying used within the last 5 years is my recommendation as appliances, electronics and furnitures should still have years of life in them.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #3

As far as inspections, keep in mind you'll likely need both a mechanical (engine and chassis) and a "house" inspection. Make sure whoever you enlist can do both, or find two separate shops to cover all bases. I would recommend a non-affiliated RV repair shop, one which won't try to sell you their own coach brand. You want an unbiased opinion. Another option is a well recommended mobile RV repair business. Good luck in your search as thats half the fun.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We were looking for a old Caddie to buy almost 5 years. We found one that a guy in our car club was selling. We went to look at it and liked so we bought it.
Sitting on the side of his drive way was this old MH a 1982 Pace Arrow 30 footer. After about a month I got to thinking about that MH so we went back too look at it. It was pretty dirty but the interior was in mint condition and she had only 44,000 miles and just under 250 hours on the gennie so I bought her took her home and cleaned and waxed her. She has been a good buy better than the caddie. Now I want to sell the 64 caddie so we can go rving more.
Never thought in a million years I would sell the caddie and go rving.
Love it
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #5

Not sure if it's different for a motorhome, but with travel trailers, the gap between the dealer markup on used and the discounts on leftover new was so small that we bought new. We also use ours a lot.

We did look at private used too, but the majority seemed to all be the same scenario: Seller was not RVing anymore or were financially strapped, so they were selling. The #1 thing they obviously did not spend any time or money on was their RV. Some the majority were basket cases. The used ones on dealer lots were all trade-ins, so they had been well maintained.
Either way, you can find a good used one if you have lots of time.
Your best bet financially is to find an auction house that's selling nearly new re-pos. But no warranty on those.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #6

1982 was our first class C Jayco. bought for $9,000 fixed it up, cleaned it up, used it for 4 years and sold it for $11,000. If you are handy and can fix things I definately recommend starting out with used to see how or if you like RVing.

Tags
purchase