Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2018, 08:38 PM   #1

Uship drama

So I have a trailer on the way. I bought a beautiful ORV 24rks from Thompson RV in Pendelton, OR (who has been fantastic). They quoted almost $3000 to transport the trailer which is...a lot.

So! Off to uship! Had lots of guys that really wanted the load ranging from $1200 to $2400. I picked a localish guy with a middle of the pack bid who normally transports stock/horse trailers built in OK up to that part of the world. Seems like a good deal for everyone: I save about a grand and he gets paid for miles that would otherwise be overhead. Win-win.

So he's late. He was supposed to pick it up by the first and got it yesterday. Sigh. Weather, snow, ice, etc. Not a huge deal.

Today, however, he has started in on the "I do t know if I have enough money to make it to Dallas" bit. "Snowing real hard. Going to be cold tonight."

He flat asked me to mark it delivered so the $1800 delivery fee would be credited...um...negative. It's bad enough I might have to go to New Mexico to chase down my trailer but I'm sure as heck not running this turkey down for the return of this fee.

This could get interesting.

--------<DEVELOPING>--------
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2018, 09:59 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Listen to what your conscience is telling you. Mine would tell me to run from this guy.
mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:09 PM   #3

Check his reviews, these guys live and die by their reviews.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:21 PM   #4

Sounds like a scam.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwwade View Post
Listen to what your conscience is telling you. Mine would tell me to run from this guy.

Only problem is this guy has my trailer in the middle of New Mexico [emoji35]
Old 02-14-2018, 10:42 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is your trailer insured?

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Check his reviews, these guys live and die by their reviews.

100% positive. Not many of them but they were all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
Sounds like a scam.

I really do think this dude is panicking because he's short on cash and sees me just handing him almost two grand as the easiest/most straight forward way out.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:03 PM   #8

Can you wire him some cash for fuel, maybe $200. You will need to negotiate a reduced shipping payment by that amount or more ($300) with the driver. Use you posting review as a threat or incentive which ever works best. I hauled a few loads under U-Ship and the reviews are important, one bad review and you are done hauling. Does he have a DOT# and MC#?
If it really gets bad, you can threaten to call the police to report a stolen camper. Haulers usually don't like any police snooping around their truck and being exposed to other violations. Don't panic, you still have the upper hand by owning the camper.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:12 PM   #9

My first inclination is to report him. After thinking about it, I think about a time when I was in a jam and needed help just to make good. The fronting him $200. idea sounds good. Then if he flakes you can destroy him. Give him the chance first.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:59 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Did he have proof that he was insured and bonded???
I do hope this works out for you but I have some doubts.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:12 AM   #11

Having been poor, broke, and scrambling to get by....I don't like the position he's put you in, but I agree with the idea of fronting him some money. He may be operating on a razor thin margin, and the delay put him over the edge. Then deal with the final payment/review when delivered.

I would not mark it as delivered - if you do that and don't get your trailer, you'll have a more difficult time making a claim and getting paid for it.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:57 AM   #12

Have y'all ever seen the "reality" show based around U-Ship?
Was their a camera crew filming when the trailer was picked up?

This sounds like the one that they had in the 1/2 ton Chev van running around pulling a 16 ft trailer that was constantly breaking down, booking double loads that wouldn't fit, or taking loads out of their league. It starts with 5 "bidding for loads", but all 5 were in different parts of the country in equipment from a Class 8 with a 48 foot drop deck to the 1/2 ton van. Then every load was a challenge, always something unexpected with the load, then always a delay in transport, ect, ect.

I know about these "reality shows". Lizard Lick Towing was produced in back yard, physically, not literally. Bobby's family's property backs up to mine, and one of their buildings was used in an episode, and it showed our property. I see him and his family regularly, and I'm trying to get them to sell me that building (Can you say ready made coach garage?). Somehow Lizard Lick ended up on our tow rotation and Ron and Amy did several of out tows, and they have towed my 3500 GMC to the dealer.

Sounds to me like this operator needs to be talking to U-ship. I don't know about them, but every trucking company I am familiar with requires that O/Os contribute between 1-2K to an emergency escrow account simply for situations like this. He calls and tells his dispatcher (or who ever) that he needs $XX to complete the trip, they authorize it and will take it back out of his settlements, and he gets his fuel.

Something here stinks worse than bad diesel fuel torching a skunk.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:17 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used a U-ship carrier to haul a Harley from Denver to MS. I corresponded with him directly to ensure there would be no hidden fees and he assured me that his quote was the full price. So, when he was about a day or so out, I got a text from him giving me anticipated arrival and he said something about his fuel surcharge. I shot an email to U-ship. They contacted him and shut that down immediately, and let me know there would be no surcharge. So when he arrived, he was all pissy about not being able to hit me up for more money. So the moral is that if they want to do business with U-ship then they abide by U-ship's rules and policies. Maybe you should contact U-ship and let them know what is going on. I have a feeling that most of these guys have a bag full of tricks and will try you on for just about anything they think might get them a few more dollars. I wouldn't trust any of them as far as I could see them.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:26 AM   #14

If it's that cold and he's that short of money, he's probably staying nights in your brand now camper as well. CONTACT U-SHIP IMMEDIATELY and ask them what the heck is going on.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote