Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Using CB for emergencies

My MH came with a CB radio in it. My original thought was to remove it, since I'm not part of the "breaker, breaker, good buddy" culture. I've since thought that it might serve in an emergency where there is no cell phone reception.

What's the channel used and monitored by police in the CB band? Does anyone still use these for chatting with strangers on the road?

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2013, 06:50 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We will not travel without a CB. Yea sure everyone has cell phones but you do not have everyone's cell number. We keep it on to keep an ear on traffic problems. Semi drivers are very good about letting each other know about problems like a shooter on an overpass. We were able to get off highways in time to miss major backups more times than we can count. Nope we will not travel without one.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #3

As a retired LEO, I can attest that most police agencies no longer monitor any CB channel on a regular basis. You may find a few departments here and there that still have CB's in their cruisers, but they will be few and far between.

That said, CB's are still in wide spread use by truckers all over the country. I've had CB's in a few motorhomes and find them useful in populated areas to monitor traffic problems. When the traffic is backing up in front of you, the CB may provide you with the reason and the best lane to be in to get through. General conversation between the truckers can be a bit raw and earthy. Sometimes it's humorous and entertaining, other times just turn it off.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm sure CBs are still used for communication. For use as and emergency use channel 9. To monitor what's happening on the road, monitor channel 16.
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman7 View Post
I'm sure CBs are still used for communication. For use as and emergency use channel 9. To monitor what's happening on the road, monitor channel 16.
Thanks everyone. I'm surprised to see there's still an active following for CB. I'll leave it on to channel 16 next time we're on the road and decide after a few weeks if the upside outweighs the distractions.
-
Do people still use handles and all that 70's pop culture stuff?

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Still use CB, I don't think channel 9 is monitored but still a lot of traffic information on Ch 16. Occasionally even another RV'er. There was a push at one time to have CH 13 for RV'ers (Halloween channel) but that never panned out.

ONce had a trucker alert me to the TOAD being in park,- explained that's how it's towed- with the transfer case in neutral.

"Handle" was the forerunner of user name and they are still used..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Another thing while monitoring CB channel16. Not sure if you are aware of this but you can raise the level of the squelch knob on your CB to stop the static and background noise.
Just an FYI
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Regarding using CB's for emergencies, let me relate a little story.

Many years ago while pulling a trailer, the truck just quit, dead. I was able to pull off to the side of the road safely. I had a CB radio with me, but it was in the trailer. I pulled it out, hooked it up and "hollered" for help. This was in the middle of "nowhere" Texas. Truckers started answering me, and one said he was a few miles away and would be there shortly. He was on the opposite side of I-10, dead heading (no trailer) stopped, got out, crossed the road, and was a pretty good mechanic. It was determined that the coil quit.

This trucker than drove me about 20 miles into town, found an auto store (on a Sunday) that had a phone number for "emergencies," called, and the store owner showed up, sold me the coil and the trucker drove me back and helped install the coll.

So yes, as CB radio on-hand can save the day. If you are in the middle of "nowhere," it may be that another CB'er can take a message to the nearest town, or call someone when they have cell coverage.

I have one. It' is turned off 99 percent of the time.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
CB radio had users before the "craze", and will likely have users for a long time. I've used one since the 60's. I am normally on 19, and get traffic info that has helped me to avoid back-ups from accidents a few times. Had not heard anything about many folks using 16 ...I'll have to check next time I'm out.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't know where the Ch 16 came from, it's channel 19.
Ch 9: Emergency Channel (you probably will NOT get anyone).
Ch 13: Good Sam designated motorhome channel (chances are it will be just as vacant).
Ch 19: Road channel.

I'm in the will not hit the highways without one crowd. Since yours is already there, there's no reason to just leave it... even if you never need it or turn it on.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #11

Unless its changed 16,35-40 for single side band
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I thought Channel 16 was the boater channel on Marine VHF, 19 was the general "everything goes" channel on CB? It's been a long time since I have used either.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I usually keep it on 19, but there's no much traffic on it like there used to be. Every once in a while.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After traveling from the west coast to the east coast and back again, there is a lot more chatter on CH 19 in the East than in the West. It seems that many of the truckers are on their cell phone to help pass the time these days.
Only if there is a traffic problem will they use their CB
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote