Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

It's not the blanket heating wires - it's the temperature controls. They have to be designed to work correctly with the square-shaped MSW wave instead of the pure sine form.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2014, 11:14 PM   #30

Dan, I'm with everyone else on this one....not a good idea to use an oven or stove as a heat source. Put on a couple of extra sweaters, and another blanket on the bed. Not worth running the risk.....

Nick B

Old 12-09-2014, 03:31 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
OK, now I have to ask why a MSW inverter affects something as seemingly basic as an electric blanket??

EDIT: OK, I have my answer Electric blanket on inverter
On the idea of using a electric blanket on a inverter, Why do that? After trucking over the road for over 30+ years and sleeping overnight in the truck in freezing weather, the by far best thing I ever had, was a 12 volt, mattress pad/w/thermostat!! You can find them at truckstops all over the country! The one I had lasted for many, many, years, and was still working when I sold my truck. It was over 10 years old! You could set the temp. and leave it on all night, and it would keep you toasty warm, with a fair amount of covers! Used very little battery power, and you could run it for days if needed before charging the batterys. I think it drew 2 amp/hour? And for the people that are scared to run the generator while they sleep, I had a diesel, 8500 watt, generator, made by Double Eagle Sleepers, I ran every night I was in the truck, and never had a problem! All of the MH gen. sets have safety features built in to shut them down if there is a problem! I also had two Stanley brand ceramic squirrel cage heaters, that kept the sleeper and cab toasty warm even in sub zero temps! I never ran the big motor for heat or a/c! And I use the same things in my MH! Works great!
JMHO! I would never run a open flame heater inside, PERIOD! Rail!
Old 12-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Texas Tom, That is not imperative, but if it makes you feel better, by all means do it.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #33

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
Okay, I know I'm hijacking the thread a little, but this is related. I have always been concerned and opened the small window over the sink and the vent above the kitchen when cooking. Am I being overly concerned?
It's a good practice and we do the same thing. Some RVs have warning stickers telling you to do that. I'm sure there will be people telling you don't have to do it, but it's your life. Do what you want.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #34

Years ago we owned a boat with a propane cook range that was also used as a heater. Even had a thermostat and blower built in. The oven burner (salamander) was the heat source and was sealed off from a separate forced air plenum. I cannot remember the manufacturer but it was one of the US RV brands. Worked great for years. But the DW thought it was ugly so we replaced it with a fancier non heater range. Also had to add a diesel furnace to get the heat back on.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
On the idea of using a electric blanket on a inverter, Why do that? After trucking over the road for over 30+ years and sleeping overnight in the truck in freezing weather, the by far best thing I ever had, was a 12 volt, mattress pad/w/thermostat!! You can find them at truckstops all over the country! The one I had lasted for many, many, years, and was still working when I sold my truck. It was over 10 years old! You could set the temp. and leave it on all night, and it would keep you toasty warm, with a fair amount of covers! Used very little battery power, and you could run it for days if needed before charging the batterys. I think it drew 2 amp/hour? And for the people that are scared to run the generator while they sleep, I had a diesel, 8500 watt, generator, made by Double Eagle Sleepers, I ran every night I was in the truck, and never had a problem! All of the MH gen. sets have safety features built in to shut them down if there is a problem! I also had two Stanley brand ceramic squirrel cage heaters, that kept the sleeper and cab toasty warm even in sub zero temps! I never ran the big motor for heat or a/c! And I use the same things in my MH! Works great!
JMHO! I would never run a open flame heater inside, PERIOD! Rail!
Good info here with successful experience.

tomwalt is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane