Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
We did it at the 2009 iRV2 National Rally after we went to Mac the Fire Guy's talk. Put a picnic bench under the window and dropped down on it. Normally we would not have a table under the window but, as the OP said, a fire would be a great motivator.
What happens if your emergency window is on the driver side as mine is in the North Trail and the Class-C? I can't drag someone elses picnic table for under my window. They wouldn't appreciate that one bit. And many CGs don't have picnic tables or they're too heavy for anyone but a gorilla to move.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMacy View Post
Since pressure is straight down and the ropes are the only thing touching I haven't had a problem with our MH. Yours -- I don't know. I saw a video on how to escape - feet first belly down.
How did they explain to you to get both feet out a window first when the escape window is high off the floor? The only way I can see to escape through our emergency window is head first which is dangerous from that height.

[quote] I tried it. NOT! couldn't get this 70+ body to cooperate. Wife would have worst time, so had to at least make myself think it would be possible, and with ladder it is! [quote]

Our window is so high we couldn't get a foot out to feel for a ladder.

Quote:
Problem is that RV manufactures don'
t consider the people that are using them. Older geezers don't have the flexibility or physical agility of 20-40 year olds. Ask me, I know!

Up until I realized I couldn't make it I felt okay , but who'd a thunk?

Old 10-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
I sure miss the second door that was on my travel trailer. That was a very comforting thing to have.
Indeed it is. We have 2 doors on our TT which is comforting, but the Class-C's back bedroom would be a firetrap. At least the window is large back there and would be easier to escape from.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
Practice escape from the toilet room through the overhead hatch too. Left foot step on toilet, right foot step on lav top and out I go.
Overhead hatch? What's that? All I've ever seen in RV bathrooms are vents and only the skinniest of the skinny 10 yr olds would fit through them.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMacy View Post
Agree, we both agree that our animals are the big concern. They are the innocent one and only agreed to their circumstances because they were willing to give upo what they could have had for what they do have.
We would be devastated if we lost our cats in a fire. The RV is insured and can be replaced, but the cats cannot. They're like our children. And it would be such a painful horrible way for them to die.

Quote:
Personally, I think that the manufacturers ought to pay more attention to safety than to rope lights in the ceiling.

Maybe have an escape door with a slide like the airplanes have, or maybe fire walls from side to side that limit the travel of a fire, or maybe an automatic suppression system where fires are likely to begin.
I agree 100 and would be willing to pay more for the safety afforded.

Quote:
What if enough people began telling the manufacturers what safety equipment was workable instead of simply following a government guideline that was made by some 20 year old that thought nothing of vaulting through the escape window with a full twist and somersault landing on both feet in a perfect 10 point landing?
They wouldn't listen. RVs are made as cheaply as they can get away with. It's always the bottom line that counts. Have you every heard of any fire-safely features in the million dollar MHs?

Quote:
Most people I've met in motor-homes has some creaky joints and don't move as easily or quickly as they did at 20-30-or 40.
You got that right. And some of the safety windows are so small and so high up, the person wouldn't only have to be a young gymnast, but as thin as a rail also.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:09 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
As a pet sitter, I am always trying to explain to people that making your dog sleep in his crate is for his own good. I suggest that for campers too, since you then know where Fido, or your kitty is hiding and with smaller animals, you can just hand the crate through the escape window.
This wont work for cats. They need access to a litter pan and many will cry for hours and hours in a crate or carrier. No one would get any sleep. Anything large enough to fit even a small litterpan will not fit through our TT door. And what if the fires starts between you and the crated animal? Or right next to the crate?

Quote:
With larger dogs, you drape a leash over the top, the kind that the vets use where it works like a training leash, so you don't fumble with clasps etc. and you open the door to the crate, and slip it on their head and lead them out safely.
Through the smoke and flames....?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #35

Quick and easy ladder escape solution for some RV's

We have a small escape window in the bedroom and two windows in the main living area (one above dinette another behind couch) that can be used to escape our class A motorhome. Actually the two large slideing windows in the main living area would be much better to get out of due to size and ease of sliding them open. With two children that sleep on the fold-out couch we have trained them on how to get out and what to do when they do get out. They (and we) have a small (compressed air) boat air horn, a whistle, flashlight with RV keys attached, all this is placed on the window ledge. They are to slide open the window, toss out the emergency equipment, put the extremely light weight 3' 6" aluminum boat ladder out window and turn handles to catch the window sill or frame, then help each other out. Go to bedroom escape window and if parents are not getting out then blow whistle and sound air horn to be sure they are awake. We (parents) would do the same if we are out first and we would unlock the front door if necessary to pull the children out as the foot of the couch bed is right at the front door. If additional help is needed we are to go to the nearest camper or RV and bang on the door asking for help. The ladders are stored under our bed for travel and are easily pulled out and strategically placed in the same place each night so we all know where they are even in the dark. The ladders are within an arms reach each night. I was the safety director for a small 350 person corporation and can't seem to let my family go without top notch safety possibilities in place.
Any big motorboat shop has a large selection of great lightweight aluminum ladders with plastic steps and swing arms that are used to allow people in the water to climb onboard thier boats. These ladders come in sizes from 2' to 6' or 8' and weigh from 1 to 3 or 4 lbs. We purchased ours from Brass Pro Shop 6 years ago shortly after we purchased the class A.
I understand that the above info will not work for everyone but hopefully it may help some families.

Dennis

Tags
window